Okay, well, my first build started with a prebuilt body, that i chambered and made into a semi hollow, yadda yadda.

but for my next build i want to start from scratch with the body.
my question is, a typical body is what, 17 or 18 by 13 or 14 right?
all these body blanks on ebay and stuff ate like 20 by 10 by an inch or 15/16 inches or so. how the heck do you make a body from a board thats 10 inches wide?
if you cut the thickness in half it would be too thin... am i missing something critical here? are they all for neck through bodys only or something? lol
Quote by xadioriderx
yes but so much more expensive =p
i was hoping to go cheap for a first build. i was puzzled at how anyone would use those other ones if theyre too narrow..

Well there's your problem.

A one-piece body blank is going to be upwards of $60. That's life.

What a lot of people do to conserve money is buy lumber that is 7 or 8 inches wide, and 34 or so inches long. Then you cut it in half and glue the two halves together. That would be a two piece body. Of course if you do this you'd need to do some edge jointing and then surfacing/planing.

Also: buying wood specifically designated as a "body blank" is always going to be more expensive than just buying wood from a lumber yard or lumber supplier.
Last edited by Seref at Jun 21, 2011,
I can give you some real good suppliers for this side of the pond :p

might want to try www.woodfinder.com or there's some links in the resources thread I think
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by GABarrie
I can give you some real good suppliers for this side of the pond :p

might want to try www.woodfinder.com or there's some links in the resources thread I think

Know anyone who can do Afezlia in the UK?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Not found any in any of my tonewood searching, sorry
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
thanks for that link! i had seen it once before but forgot about it. i contacted my local woodcrafters and they said they can get me a 2 piece, maybe one piece of poplar in that size for about 20 bucks. so im thinking thats where ill be headed!
just a heads up, poplar is not known for its looks. you will have to paint it. the good news is that poplar takes paint very well.

also, the wood from woodcraft will probably be rough and need to be milled (jointer and planer).
well the good part is youll only see the end grain and sides, because it will be a semihollow with spruce top and back =D so i dont mind that a bit. i just need something for the middle chambered part.
as for the jointing and stuff, i guess ill have to continue on my creative streak, because i dont have a way to do it lol. i will figure something out, and if i have to take it somewhere, then so be it
Quote by xadioriderx

as for the jointing and stuff, i guess ill have to continue on my creative streak, because i dont have a way to do it lol.

Do you have a router, you can do both with a router if you make the right jigs. A router is also helpful with shaping the body from a template and cutting the neck pocket, pickup cavities and control cavity.