I'm looking for songs that incorporate finger picking that sound great. Something along the lines of Blackbird. Anyone have suggestions?
Not sure what Blackbird is I'm afraid.

However, this one is pretty easy to start off with! It was the first fingerpicking song that I learned (about six years ago) :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdNO9Qa5rzI
(It starts at 1:20 minutes in)

You could also have a look at "Song With No Words" by David Crosby. It's pretty easy to figure out, but I'm not sure how many tabs there are around.

Edit: When you get used to fingerpicking you can move on to more difficult songs like "Uncle Sam Blues", "Embryonic Journey" and "Good Shepherd" by Jefferson Airplane. Or bluesy/folk songs in general.
First song I learn't to finger pick was Romance (anonymous artist, but look it up and you'll find it) fairly simple tune, especially the minor part (the major part takes some practice and has some awkward positions)
I also don't know blackbird so can't offer any comparisions :/
Nothing else matters? Stairway to heaven? Alternatively, find a chord sequence you can play easily, and finger pick it! This helped me quite a lot - If you know some songs that strum all the way through, finger pick it instead and find the right rhythm to do so. Makes the song have 'your own touch to it' and lets purely strummed songs have a lead picking part, whilst a friend strums the chords - sounds good!
I'm L.

emo_goth is a username from a long time ago - don't judge me for it!
Blackbird
Dust in the Wind
Tears in Heaven
Tears in the Rain
Hey there Delilah
Goodbye Blue Sky
Is there anybody out there?
^^ thats a good point - Is there anybody out there is the second finger picking song I learnt. Simples and beautiful. Goodbye blue sky is a bit uninteresting imo.
I'm L.

Quote by emo_goth
^^ thats a good point - Is there anybody out there is the second finger picking song I learnt. Simples and beautiful. Goodbye blue sky is a bit uninteresting imo.

Yeah,I'm learning it right now (only learned the intro) but I was hoping it gets more interesting during the chorus
Quote by emo_goth
Stairway to heaven?

I'm sorry, but I don't get why people keep recommending this song. It's not an easy song for beginners!
Quote by icep
I'm sorry, but I don't get why people keep recommending this song. It's not an easy song for beginners!

I learnt this after playing for about 3 months - was still a beginner then! Of course I left out the solo and simplified bits where I found it difficult, then went back to them when I became more competent. Its not an easy song, but its not overly difficult either - maybe after goodbye blue sky/is there anybody out there and some others, its possible to make a start on stairway...
I'm L.

This song might be a bit tough if your just starting finger picking but it is fun to play.
cky - behind the screams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwYtcelFTEM

Then this song isn't all that hard and it doesn't sound too bad
the plain white t's airplane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnkXB9uc394

EDIT: oops guess these aren't beginner songs I was focusing heavily on the "mid" part but it wouldn't hurt to try to learn them anyways after I got the basics down on my electric this is the first song I learned. So its not possible to learn something a bit above what you know. (intro took me forever) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0pYWGjECLE
Last edited by demonsage at Jun 21, 2011,
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is one of my faves. Not as hard as it sounds.

Your Time Is Going to Come also has a nice repeating riff that's easy to pick and good to build off of for more complex stuff.

If you like Blackbird you can also fingerpick Here Comes the Sun.

And you can fingerpick Needle and The Damage Done, though I prefer to just regular pick it.

Maybe also Bookends by Simon and Garfunkel. That's pretty easy and sounds nice.
Last edited by Spud Spudly at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by emo_goth
I learnt this after playing for about 3 months - was still a beginner then! Of course I left out the solo and simplified bits where I found it difficult, then went back to them when I became more competent. Its not an easy song, but its not overly difficult either - maybe after goodbye blue sky/is there anybody out there and some others, its possible to make a start on stairway...

Fair enough
Classical Gas by Mason Willams. Take your time learn it properly, that tune will teach you alot about
progressions.

Also check out Romeo& Juliet by Dire Straits. Justinguitar.com has a free lesson on it at moment.

Cheers
"Lack of Color" is a pretty fun fingerpicking song, and it isn't too hard. One of the first I learned.
California king bed by Rihanna - has some really nice and easy fingerpicking.
Paul Simon's American Tune (Not to be confused with the Simon and Garfunkel America)
Just breathe by pearl jam

Has the same picking pattern as dust in the wind. Not too bad.
I can't believe people are saying they don't know what Blackbird is. Do people still know who the Beatles are?
If you like blackbird, I would take a look at Jenny Wren by Paul McCartney. It has a similar picking pattern. Little Martha by the Allman Brothers is fun too.
Funny, I was just thinking the other day that I forgot how to play Little Martha. I hate when that happens.
try

Richard marx - right here waiting arranged by ulli bogershausen
kiss from a rose arranged by ulli bogershausen
livin on a prayer arranged by tomi paldanius (not as hard as it looks)
wake me up when september ends arranged by tomi paldanius
classical gas by mason williams
Someone here once recommended "You revolution is a joke", and it's really a great fingerstyle song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf8SMxZilZE
the guitar pro tabs at this site are quite accurate.
also, someone already mentioned my regular recommendation (just breathe by pearl jam), So I'll add that also "Guaranteed" is a great fingerstyle song of pearl jam with a quite similiar right hand pattern.
Embyroc joruney of Jefferson airplane mentioned before is really awesome too.
"Broken" by Seether has some nice riff.
"Shape of my heart" by Sting has a cool riff too.
"Given to fly" by Pearl jam can be played fingerpicked and it's really fun to play
"Don't Cry" by guns n roses can be played fingerpicked also and it's really fun.
Quote by pauldawg1177
I can't believe people are saying they don't know what Blackbird is. Do people still know who the Beatles are?

I'm not a fan of the Beatles, so why would I add all of their songs to my memory?
Last edited by icep at Jun 24, 2011,
One way of getting better at fingerstyle is trying to play songs on your guitar as an arrangement. Find the vocal melody and then add bass notes and harmony. This will help improve your ear alot and as you get better and create more complex arrangements you will become quite good at fingerstyle.
Harry Sacksioni, great stuff actually written for "shut up and listen I promise I won't sing" sort of music.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
I'd recommend Spanish Romance as a nice little classical piece, lots of room for expression and a pretty melody, a classical guitar standard.
Opeth - Tool - Ephel Duath - Cynic