I have been playing acoustic for 2 years and wanted to switch to leaarning electric. I play electric on my acoustic guitar by plugging into my amp and going into distortion mode but there is only so much you can do with that.

I spoke to an acquaintance who happens to be a guitar player and asked him for a recommendations. He suggested I go for a semi-professional/ intermediate guitar and not a cheap beginner one. He suggested Ibanez as it can play a variety of styles, he recommended two models

RG350DX - Costs 25,000 Indian rupees (556 USD) http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG350DX

RG350EX - Costs 28,000 Indian rupees (623 USD) http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG350EX

He said the Washburn N2 is also pretty good.

He said not to buy the Epiphone Les Paul Special II because although its great for the price it doesnt have a whammy bar which is not good since im learning.

Any recommendations ?

I also need a decent amp and I've heard a lot about the Peavey Vypyr 15 and it's custom modelling features.
Last edited by joey78 at Jun 21, 2011,
First of all, the les paul special II is pretty crappy. Second, you don't need a whammy bar to learn to play guitar. That's just silly. Third, plugging your acoustic in and playing distortion? that sounds earsplitting.

The two guitars you listed aren't going to be great for starting out because the floyd rose trem is going to be frustrating to get used to. How about you tell us what kind of music you like and what sort of budget you're on?
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
The kind of stuff I like to play is

Guns N Roses (Love the Slash tone), Alter Bridge (Love Mark Tremonti's tone ),Motley Crue ,Poison,metallica,Megadeth,etc

My budget is 500 USD as a maximum. I want a guitar that I can easily use for 4-5 years without feeling the need to upgrade.
i wouldn't go for a floyd guitar for a beginner.
1º - like mention before might by a little frustrating to use it, special on tunning
2º- it's not very recommend if you wanna try different tunnings
Sounds like typical Les Paul type of music.

For 500 USD your best bet is an Epiphone Les Paul Studio if you're just looking for the sound.
Les Paul Standard if you feel you want the look of the classic LP as well.

Either way they are both formidable guitars.

and yes, Avoid the Floyd if this is a beginner guitar.
If you like Ibanez you could go for an RG321 and save some money (perhaps?) for a nice amp.

And no, those are not active pick-ups, just regular nice passives
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
My first guitar is a Charvel SDK 075(my current main axe) with a Floyd Rose Tremolo. I'd say its pretty motivating to have it especially if u like songs from Metallica, COB those kind of whammy abuse bands. for your first, i'd recommend getting maybe a Tanglewood TSB 58. its about USD 500 IIRC. or maybe go for ESP LTD guitars. I saw a nice black ESP LTD EC200QM in my local forum classified threads going for about USD400.
Quote by TuningGamer
If you like Ibanez you could go for an RG321 and save some money (perhaps?) for a nice amp.

And no, those are not active pick-ups, just regular nice passives

to be honest, i'm not really an Ibanez fan but a lot of the people i talk to here in India keep raving about Ibanez.

I've loved the look and sound of a es Paul. That's why I looked up Epiphone's Les Pauls since they are decently priced. I obviously can;t afford a Gibson and for a beginner level guitarist like myself it is pointless.

I also like the PRS - I like Mark tremonti's tone.
Quote by Jason43
Take a look at the Ibanez ART series. Should be right up your alley.

+1

But yeah, don't get a Floyd Rose equipped guitar if you are a beginner. Not just because its extremely hard to string and tune, but also because beginners with whammy bars are annoying as fuck, and you don't want to be that kid who's annoying as fuck.
Thats a rediculous price for an rg350, it retails for about 400$ canadian (380-390$ usd) over here.
Try out the vox vt+ amp. My buddy has the vypyr 30 i have vox vt 30(not the +) and even he will admit the amp slays his. Matter of preference im sure, but try it out!
Thanks for the responses gyus.

I have a lot of friends here in India who are into playing speed/thrash metal and they love the Ibanez. But apart from bveing good for playing METAL , are they geared for classic rock ?

The guitar tones I would like to get close to emulating are Slash, Joe Perry, Brad Whitford, Mick Mars, Joe Walsh (Eagles) mostly rock , classic rock,etc. That's the kind music i hope to be able to play. Is the Ibanez good for this type of music ?

I've heard from EPI LP Spcl II owners that it is "good for the price". I have also heard that the Ibanez are better and slightly more expensive but I'm not sure if I should spend mroe money for a better guitar that will not give me the tone I want.

And apparently the stores here in Mumbai don't have the ART series unfortunately
Quote by joey78
Thanks for the responses gyus.

I have a lot of friends here in India who are into playing speed/thrash metal and they love the Ibanez. But apart from bveing good for playing METAL , are they geared for classic rock ?

The guitar tones I would like to get close to emulating are Slash, Joe Perry, Brad Whitford, Mick Mars, Joe Walsh (Eagles) mostly rock , classic rock,etc. That's the kind music i hope to be able to play. Is the Ibanez good for this type of music ?

I've heard from EPI LP Spcl II owners that it is "good for the price". I have also heard that the Ibanez are better and slightly more expensive but I'm not sure if I should spend mroe money for a better guitar that will not give me the tone I want.

And apparently the stores here in Mumbai don't have the ART series unfortunately

Looking at those artists, most Ibanez's wouldn't be able to cut it. You'd want a Les Paul, but NOT the Special II. It's horrible even for the price. Go extra and get a standard, they're much, much better. Not sure how much it is but a PRS SE Tremonti would be great too.
Quote by JD2k9
Looking at those artists, most Ibanez's wouldn't be able to cut it. You'd want a Les Paul, but NOT the Special II. It's horrible even for the price. Go extra and get a standard, they're much, much better. Not sure how much it is but a PRS SE Tremonti would be great too.

No you don't NEED a Les Paul, you just need a good amp. The Les Paul will give you a fatter tone and slightly better sustain, but in terms of playing the genres of music listed, it is not a deal-maker.

Tell me what exactly is it that the Les Paul can do that a strat cannot do? Does having a LP shaped guitar automatically make you play the blues or rock that much better?

If you're talking about nuances and details of tone, at the budget the TS is looking at... especially through a modeling amp, these tonal details and nuances will be lost in the DSP process.

TS, my guess is that products in India are marked up quite a bit after import correct? Unless there's a reason you want those Ibanez (which are lower-mid range), why don't you pick up a Yamaha Pacifica instead? Its a solid work-horse guitar that's sufficiently versatile to cover a range of genres, at the same time its good value for money and quality that will last you quite a while.

Also, again for those making recommendations about the PRS, I think it would help the TS if you had a look at the prices before hand. I don't think that even the SE series are considered affordable mid-range instruments in India.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
TS, my guess is that products in India are marked up quite a bit after import correct?

Yes that's correct

Quote by ragingkitty
Unless there's a reason you want those Ibanez (which are lower-mid range), why don't you pick up a Yamaha Pacifica instead? Its a solid work-horse guitar that's sufficiently versatile to cover a range of genres, at the same time its good value for money and quality that will last you quite a while.

Both the big music shops in Mumbai don't seem to have Yamaha electrics in stock.

Quote by ragingkitty
Also, again for those making recommendations about the PRS, I think it would help the TS if you had a look at the prices before hand. I don't think that even the SE series are considered affordable mid-range instruments in India.

The Tremonti PRS retails for 37000 INR (826 USD) which is too much money for a beginner like myself.

http://www.bajaao.com/shop/5-guitars/5097-paul-reed-smith-prs-tremonti-se-electric-guitar

http://www.furtadosonline.com/viewproduct.php?productid=130595
Quote by joey78
Both the big music shops in Mumbai don't seem to have Yamaha electrics in stock.

Have you maybe checked if stores in Chenai or Delhi have it? Sometimes if they are under the same chain you can request to have a product moved to a nearby store for testing?

Any chance you can see if there are any LTDs or Washburns? Those aren't too bad for beginner ranges either, and I've seen some that are slightly cheaper than an Ibanez.

If you end up getting and Epi, try to get an experienced guitarist to go with you to check the guitar out. I'm not a fan of Epi because their low end guitars have massively variable quality standards... you have some which are great and acceptable... and almost just as many that can barely be called a guitar.

Another possibility is Rally guitars... if you see them around.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Look at any of the Artist or even the Artcore series. Not all Ibanez guitars are for super high gain music. And you don't need a Les Paul to play that music. That statement is just absurd.
Last edited by Jason43 at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
Have you maybe checked if stores in Chenai or Delhi have it? Sometimes if they are under the same chain you can request to have a product moved to a nearby store for testing?

I've checked their websites which I presume would list all guitars available across the country in their stores and there are no Yamahas.

Quote by ragingkitty
Any chance you can see if there are any LTDs or Washburns? Those aren't too bad for beginner ranges either, and I've seen some that are slightly cheaper than an Ibanez.

These are the Washburn ones available

Washburn, Electric Guitar X10 /Black

Washburn X11 Electric Guitar (Maple Neck. 24 Frets)

Washburn, Electric Guitar, X16 AGS, 24 Fretts, H H Pickup /Green

Washburn, Electric Guitar, WV16 Flying V Shape, 24 Fretts, H H Pickup -Green

When you say LTD, are you referring to the ESP LTD series ? Sorry I'm not sure.
Forget those two. You do not want a Floyd on your first guitar.

Take a look at the Ibanez RG321. It's basically the same as the 350EX except for different pickups, fixed bridge and HH pickups.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!