what are some of the advantages of high end guitars? a guitarist i know said if u have a middle range guitar and upgraded to high end u would be disappointed as not alot of difference apart from maybe the link to famous guitar players playing that guitar yea.
It depends, if you buy for brand then you will be disappointed but if you buy for quality you will notice a difference

For example, one of my first guitars was a B.C.Rich and it was alright, it got me through my first 4 years of guitar playing quite well. Then i was looking at other guitars to get that were around £600-800.

I played a few gibsons/ibanez that were around 850 and then i played a schecter c-1 that was around £500 and (for me) it blew them all out of the water!

Just look around before you go buying anything because most times you will find that you are paying for a brand name.
I Agree With mr7string, Go and look around first. Maybe a mid-range is what fits you and your wallet better than an expensive high end with just a small upgrade or whatever. just see what fits your style and is sure of quality and such.
"The Demon Code prevents me from Declining a rock-off Challenge"

-Satan.
the difference is simply quality. if you try before you buy and find a high end guitar that you like enough to spend that sort of money on you won't be disappointed - just remember, you can't expect to like every single high end guitar. everyone's got opinions
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
the difference is simply quality. if you try before you buy and find a high end guitar that you like enough to spend that sort of money on you won't be disappointed - just remember, you can't expect to like every single high end guitar. everyone's got opinions

This.
What feels good in your hands might feel horrible in someone elses, and vice versa. I know a guy who swears on LP shapes, which I happen to detest. Whereas I love curvy superstrats.
Quote by Blompcube

+1

My $3000 ESP Horizon custom blew the $6000 Gibson Custom 1960 Les Paul Reissue due to the fact that the Gibson had fret buzz on every fret below the 9 on the high E and b strings.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quality.
Prestige.
Tone.
Feel.
Quality.
It will last forever and a day.
Use of truly high end materials.
Professional workmanship goes into them.
Features you may not find on cheaper guitars.
Quality.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Something I have found with pricier guitars is that the electronics are better thought out and executed, along with being higher quality (pickups in particular). With cheaper ones, you can fiddle with knobs all you like, and may be able to dial in good tone at one particular point on the adjustments. Better guitars will sound good anywhere on the adjustments, from jazz by rolling off the tone knob, to a biting lead with more dialed in.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
high end isn't all about $ amount even though it's often judged that way. for instance a high end Fender strat starts at $1500 for a Deluxe and yet that same $1500 won't buy you much if you get a Gibson and isn't considered "high end". for the price of a mid range Gibson LP you can get a Custom Shop Fender Strat. is the strat way better than the mid range LP maybe but certainly not definitely.

eventually the law of diminishing returns kicks in and while you may be paying more the return on that money may not translate to much of a difference sound and feel wise. "high end" at this point seems more like a marketing term or one associated with snob appeal as no one can truly define what "high end" really begins for all guitars, amps etc.
In my experience, there are differences in materials and build quality. what I have found is that higher end models (typically European, USA or Japan made stuff) are made out of better (and often fewer, thus less glue) pieces of wood. what this means is that the guitar will sustain better and, because the wood is more consistent, have better balance across its frequency spectrum. additionally, there will be greater clarity because the guitar is able to resonate more freely. furthermore, higher end guitars often have better quality parts. I'm not only referring to bits like tuners and bridges (which have massive tonal impacts), but also electrical components. the use of top quality pots and switches has a massive effect on tone.

furthermore, top-notch guitars are often (except gibson seemingly) better assembled. this means that the fretwork is better so the guitar plays better, and all joints are tighter so the guitar resonates better. this enhances the guitars sound and your ability to play it.

that being said, a mid-range guitar that is well assembled out of good quality materials can become a truly great guitar. if you are building on a strong foundation, it is possible to swap out parts and electronic components to get a truly amazing guitar. however, this is less likely to be successful than simply getting a better guitar in the first place
Quote by Blompcube

+1

everything else being equal, more expensive guitars are better, but diminishing returns are at play too. it's a personal judgement call as to when those returns diminish too much.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes there is a deffinate quality issue, not that you cant make a cheaper guitar sound and play as good as a "high-end" one. But With most $$$ guitars the craftsmanship, wood,electronics are of a far superior quality. And yes the "name" has alot to do with price. Personaly I can't justify spending $1000+ for any of the newer Fenders/Gibsons. Maybe if it was a custom shop, but to me there production guitars are not a "highend", and are often matched or outdone by import guitars. However I think spending $2000 on a PRS is fine. But it really comes down to what do you like, what feels right to you. And if you are OK with paying for a certain guitar then to you it's obviously worth it, but the next guy will ask why you threw your $$ away.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I know that part of the money goes toward "big names" and have better resale values. I didn't care for all that. I wanted a guitar that's well built and doesn't put a hole in my pocket so I went to Carvin.

I ended up with two and want more.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quality in every single capacity. My other guitar is no slouch, but in comparison, my Ibanez slays it in every single conceivable area. Absolutely nothing wrong or out of place, not even the tiniest bump anywhere. That's what you get when you go for quality: perfection in craftsmanship.

Of course, that's assuming you don't go ahead and buy an expensive lemon from Dave down the back alley.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
playability and tone

f*ck notoriety
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
one question is where does "High End" start? what is considered mid-range? These are very subjective on your means and to some degree your age. I think low end is anything $500 or below, Mid-range is $500-$1100 and then high end everything above $1100. Now when i was younger and when i was just starting out i thought anything over $800 was high end. The more you are submerged in something the more your perception changes. A few weeks ago i bought a Duesenberg Starplayer for around $1800... i consider that guitar High End, but i am sure there are more than a few that would still call that mid range even though retail for that rig is $3k.
But many are correct in that the higher up the money chain you go the better quality you have. When i hold my Jaguar i know it is a very good, solid playable guitar that gives me no issues. when i play my Duesenberg it feels perfect and plays with incredible tone and sustain. Better guitar, more money.
high end gear is typically made in a facility where QC is watched more closely with more skilled craftsmen (please for the love of god dont turn this into a sh*t storm). also from the varius factory videos and guitar building documentaries i have watched, the higher the price, the more time the guitar is built by skilled hand instead of by machine.

hardware is a big difference, Gotoh, Schaller, OFR, Tonepros, Sperzel

the nut material and cut are superior, making it hold tune better (as the hardware above does too).

better pickups and electronics and better quality pots/caps/jacks/switches

better quality finish some say nitro is (please for the love of god dont turn this into a sh*t storm) superior to poly.

more respected pieces of gear tend to come out of the US, Europe, and Japan, although not all.

but for me i pick up an instrument and if it fits my hands well as well as it suits my needs.

just an example, i played an EVH Wolfgang (the $1500 or so modle) and fell in love, then i started asking questions about wolfgangs, and a lot of people thought that Peavey made better quality wolfgangs than FMIC (holds EVH brand), played one bought it, next week bought a second. i payed half for two Wolfgangs, than i would have payed for one new EVH branded one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Pick up a Les Paul Studio, play it, then compare it to a PRS CU24
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Quote by boratian
Pick up a Les Paul Studio, play it, then compare it to a PRS CU24

and the point is to feel two totally different guitars? with different tonal ideals, vastly different necks, pickups in some cases, etc.

however i do agree with boraian on the pick up a les paul studio than pick up a standard or trad+, or best case a LP custom.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/