Hey guys,

In another question that I asked on the forum was: How does marty friedman improvise with ease, does he know how all of the notes on the fretboard sound?
One of my answers were that if you know a certain root note then you would know how a lot of notes sound after that.
I don't really understand what that means and how it works, can anyone please help?

Thanks a lot to all helpers
Last edited by GV8 at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by GV8
Hey guys,

In another question that I asked on the forum was: How does marty friedman improvise with ease, does he know how all of the notes on the fretboard sound?
One of my answers were that if you know a certain root note then you would know how a lot of notes sound after that.
I don't really understand what that means and how it works, can anyone please help?

Thanks a lot to all helpers

It means knowing scales and their relationship to chords, and then being very experienced within their pitch collection, through study, playing, observation and practice to play within them, and also to play outside when he wishes as well.

If you want to understand, have you considered studying with a teacher? What are your options for private lessons? How long have you been playing?

Sean