Hey guys, I've got a problem. I seem to be loosing motivation to play with a band or even by myself at home. Ever since my Sixth-form work has started for the next year (my school goes up a year early) I've lost motivation to play my guitar except at practices because I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall, both creatively and constructively.

And my band hasn't played live yet because the only person who can drive a van is a drummer and he's going blind (we think). :-( But we are writing and hopefully recording by the middle/end of summer for some gigs which haven't been arranged yet. But we were planning to write and learn a few covers (Breaking The Law, Helloween's I Want Out, Run To The Hills and some others)

but I feel like my writing is getting no-where and I'm an inward person and I'll take it out on other members (not directly, like as soon as aI leave I'll be ranting to my dad about how I'm useless and how the rest of the bands useless for not being able to write quicker, I'm just fustrated because of this and other circumstances which surround my life at the moment)

Anyone got any help they could give?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
what kind of music do you play? Dont you think that frustation can drive yo to create better (as in more aggresive) music?

what exactly do you dislike about your originals? Maybe identifying the problem first will help fixing it
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by Fisheth24
Hey guys, I've got a problem. I seem to be loosing motivation to play with a band or even by myself at home. Ever since my Sixth-form work has started for the next year (my school goes up a year early) I've lost motivation to play my guitar except at practices because I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall, both creatively and constructively.

And my band hasn't played live yet because the only person who can drive a van is a drummer and he's going blind (we think). :-( But we are writing and hopefully recording by the middle/end of summer for some gigs which haven't been arranged yet. But we were planning to write and learn a few covers (Breaking The Law, Helloween's I Want Out, Run To The Hills and some others)

but I feel like my writing is getting no-where and I'm an inward person and I'll take it out on other members (not directly, like as soon as aI leave I'll be ranting to my dad about how I'm useless and how the rest of the bands useless for not being able to write quicker, I'm just fustrated because of this and other circumstances which surround my life at the moment)

Anyone got any help they could give?

A blind drummer....cool, just chop off his arm and you'll 1up Rick Allen

In all seriousness though, just play, even if you feel like your in a slump...just play even if it's just for a few minutes. I believe doing nothing or just taking a break, doesn't really do much to fix the problem. Just keep playing and fiddling around and you'll eventually come up with something and will have fun making it into a full song.

and use some of this frustration to help write. You'd be amazed what you'll come up with based on how your feeling at that particular moment.

And if all else fails, find some new people to play with. Doesn't seem like there's been too much work put into this band. No shows, only a few songs, and non-dedicated members. You wouldn't be losing much if you guys can't pull it around.
You should never force yourself to play to the point where it's not fun any more. Remember why you picked up the Guitar in the first place? It was probably to have fun and because you thought it looked/sounded so cool. Take a breather and relax. If you're going into practice with a your mind bogged down by all of these negative feelings, you'll come out of practice with just the same.

As for the creative roadblock, I myself am going through that too. but I don't beat myself up about it. It seems like you like heavy metal (Judas Priest, Helloween, Iron Maiden) which have some tricky guitar parts to them. Try learning some really basic and simple songs just to give yourself a confidence boost if nothing else. Also, try listening to different genres of music to see if you can spark an idea. A lot of times, pro's will step away from their instrument of choice and analyze another (Say from Guitar to Saxophone). Even though they are completely different beasts, you can still hear certain melodies or compositions that will inspire you on the guitar.

Hope I helped some. Most of all, just keep the passion for your craft and don't let anything burn you out early or make you feel useless. If it's fun, then you're doing it right.
Haven't checked this for a bit.

I'll try that and I'll let you know what happens.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100