I/m still a bit iffy on my purchase of the Hummingbird,so I'm just wondering what you guys look for when you try out guitars. What's the major sound difference between the $3000 guitar & the $300 one. All I know to look out for is fret buzz,which I'm not sure how guitars get it.

Also,what do you guys do when you take your guitar out of the box? Do you keep the strings or do you change em? Do you lower the action manually? What do you buy? Picks,strings,cases,stands,straps,what else?
The only thing I look for in guitars is tone and playability.
There arent too many differences in a higher end guitar vs a lower one. your main difference is just going to be quality of the parts and how they were assembled. I see you know to look out for fret buzz. This happens most commonly when the action is low or the frets arent dressed properly which is more likely to happen on a cheaper guitar.
The only thing I really do to a new guitar is replace the strings. I like them really light though on my acoustics. I dont know if this is your first guitar or not but add a good tuner to your list of things to get. Cheap tuners have cheaper mics in them and arent the best at tuning an acoustic. I've had the problem before. It gets annoying when your tuner wont pick up your guitar.
A lot of people get kinda snobby when it comes to brand names and models. I say who cares what its called as long as it sounds good. Honestly, if you find a guitar for $300 that plays and sounds good then what more could you want? My main acoustic is a $200 Takamine and I couldnt be happier
great tone, comfortable neck with a 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" nut, physical comfort, no issues like buzzing, cracks, rattling, etc. i change the strings most of the time, although my blueridge sounded so good i left the strings on. before setting up the guitar, i wait a few days and get to know it. that way, i can get comfortable enough to decide on things like how low i want the action and what gauge of strings i'll be using.

i find that the differences in tone and playability between a $300 and a $3000 guitar are huge, but i didn't realize that for years because i didn't play $2000+ guitars. once you take the time to educate your ears, or once you get to play a few exceptional guitars, everything changes.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
great tone, comfortable neck with a 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" nut, physical comfort, no issues like buzzing, cracks, rattling, etc. i change the strings most of the time, although my blueridge sounded so good i left the strings on. before setting up the guitar, i wait a few days and get to know it. that way, i can get comfortable enough to decide on things like how low i want the action and what gauge of strings i'll be using.

i find that the differences in tone and playability between a $300 and a $3000 guitar are huge, but i didn't realize that for years because i didn't play $2000+ guitars. once you take the time to educate your ears, or once you get to play a few exceptional guitars, everything changes.

Man,I really want to get to that point. But I din't understand half the things you said,so hopefully I'll learn.How do you decide what gauge of strings you'll use
Regarding construction of any guitar, the #1 thing I really look for is the neck and fretwork. The frets have to be perfect, with no sharp ends or flat spots or anything strange going on, and the inlays must be smooth. And I want a rosewood fretboard just because I like the feel of rosewood. Glossy or satin neck doesn't make much difference to me personally, as long as it's straight. After that for acoustics I'm checking out the woods that are used for the top and body (I prefer mahogany for the body but not everyone does). I want a good material for the nut and saddle. Good tuners are important. A truss rod of course. And aesthetically I really like a bound fretboard and headstock if I can get it, and something other than plain dot inlays on the fretboard.

That's the price of admission to really consider an acoustic guitar. After that I'm evaluating the sound of the guitars that meet that criteria. Maybe that's not the best method but it works for me.
What I look for is a guitar that has low action, great sound, and looks good enough to the point where I play it regularly. It also has to be solid top and it has to have an eye catching headstock for me to want it.
Tone, feel and good looks. Sound too, I suppose. I also look for versatility. With my electric guitars however, I want it to suit the type of music I like. I don't care about that as much with acoustic guitars. So versatility is always a good thing to have with acoustic guitars!
Last edited by icep at Jun 21, 2011,
the nut is the plastic or bone thing that hold the strings in slots just below the headstock of the guitar. a 1 11/16" nut is the most common width, but it indicates less space between the strings than 1 3/4" or wider. btw, string spacing indicates how wide the strings are held at the saddle (the plastic or bone thing the strings pass over below the soundhole). you'd be surprised how those little tiny amounts of space can make a difference in how easy a guitar is to play for some of us. i didn't know there were different guitar neck sizes for years, and what a joy it was to discover the wider necks

i decide what gauge of strings by how it feels to push down slowly and to bend the strings. i'm a tender fingered person, so i tend to use extra lights or silk and steels, but my blueridge sounds so great with 12's i decided to stick with them.

Quote by ickayR
Man,I really want to get to that point. But I din't understand half the things you said,so hopefully I'll learn.How do you decide what gauge of strings you'll use

Spud Spudly mentioned construction - that is also something i look for. tight joints, neck attached correctly, etc. i don't look for low action, because that can be adjusted after you buy the guitar.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Yes, I love a good neck joint. I have an Epi semi-hollow where the [set] neck joint is so damn perfect I sometimes just run my fingers over it again and again. I'm not sure I can ever own a bolt on neck, though if the right Telecaster came along....
What type of strings are good for bending & fingerpicking? Can't decide between Martin & D'As,any specific recommendations?
both brands are nice. I'd go with martins of the two. just my personal preference. What I can't understand is why your budget is 3k but you don't know any of this stuff... it's not a bad thing, I wish I could have been a newbie on a hummingbird. It's just not something you see everyday, a beginner on a 3k dollar guitar.
i'm also wondering. i wouldn't spend that much on a guitar till i was clear with my preferences. and that only happens by playing more guitars, comparing and learning. different tones, neck profiles, neck thicknesses and widths, body depth and shape, brightness, richness, overtoneyness, all that matter. i could recommend a guitar to you that is one of the best and most expensive in the world, but you still might not like it.
Quote by Skeet UK
Last edited by patticake at Jun 21, 2011,