Alright so I've got my bass drum sitting on top of carpet in my basement and it either 1) ends up moved across the room after playing for five minutes. 2) The kick pedal doohicky leans right into the bass drum and murders the head (thats why the last one I had broke) so I tried putting duct tape in front of the spot where it digs in and now it just digs in more and gets all sticky. I've also tried putting the entire drum on top of cardboard, but that only made its journey to the other side of the room even faster than before.

I mean... I understand why it moves, but I can't get the pedal to not lean into the head, and it's really starting to bug me. Any ideas?
Is your floor crooked? If the pedal is standing on a bump, it would dig into the head. Have you tried moving the kit?
GEAR:
Ibanez SR605
Some 71' P-Bass
Orange Bass Terror 500 > Markbass 4x10
Well all bass drums will move if not on a carpet or secured down. Put a carpet under it, or something heavy in front of the legs. As for the pedal...like Steve asks, is it hooked up right? Also, if you are using a low-quality beater, I'd suggest getting something a little better. I know my first set came with a disaster of a pedal, which was not sturdy at all, it would wobble all over the place, beater would fall off, etc. Not quite sure what your prob is exactly...is maybe the beater set too short, and the other end with the metal peg rubbing into the head?
Quote by Kyle<3
The kick pedal doohicky

Could you be a little less specific?

As for the bass drum moving, you should have points on tip of your bass drum spurs. Make sure the points are long enough to dig into the carpet, but no so long they dig into the floor. If you only have the rubber feet, buy some new ends with sharpened points.
1) You need to either get carpet down, have those legs with the rubber stoppers properly set up, or put a heavy object in front of it.
2) Could be a couple problems. The beater could be on a different level than the bass drum is (if it's setting off of a piece of carpet or something like that) but it's probably not that. So what you should do is move the beater back by loosening the screw where the spring and the beat are connected, move the beater back and tighten it when you get the beater back far enough. The easiest way to fix this problem is to not use a crap pedal, and invest in relatively cheap one but still effective (check the drum gear thread to get an idea).

Also, if you don't want to go through heads like you have been, go to your local music store and get protectors that you put on the head where the beater strikes it. They're like..$12 and they save you going through $40 heads.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by Kyle<3
Alright so I've got my bass drum sitting on top of carpet in my basement and it either 1) ends up moved across the room after playing for five minutes. 2) The kick pedal doohicky leans right into the bass drum and murders the head (thats why the last one I had broke) so I tried putting duct tape in front of the spot where it digs in and now it just digs in more and gets all sticky. I've also tried putting the entire drum on top of cardboard, but that only made its journey to the other side of the room even faster than before.

I mean... I understand why it moves, but I can't get the pedal to not lean into the head, and it's really starting to bug me. Any ideas?

I know it's a pain in the ass, put something heavy in front of the bass drum and it wont slide. I put two 35 pound dumbbells on each side in front of my bass drum and it doesn't move at all. As for the pedal constantly leaning into the head you should put you're bass drum on a lift to prevent that from happening. The pedal mounts to the bottom of the lift so you don't need to mount it to the shell of the bass drum and it will never move. These go for around 30 bucks you can probably get them at Guitar Center or buy it here. Arti Dixon Bass Drum Lift You don't have to get the Arti Dixon other companies make lifts now but he was the first guy to come up with this.
Last edited by drummer420 at Jun 22, 2011,