Ok, I have an old Cry Baby kicking around not getting any use, and I decided I'd like to mod it. But what I would like to do is add a fuzz circuit to it and make a lovely fuzzy wah. Is it as simple as chucking a fuzz circuit in the Cry Baby enclosure, connecting the wah out to the fuzz in and removing the fuzz switch, or (more likely) is there a lot more to it than that?
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
It's just a matter of combining two circuits really
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Yes, this I know, what I need to know is how.
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
There's no more to it than what you described, but I think it's a bad idea. It's going to be the noisiest pedal you've ever experienced.
What makes you say that?
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
If we were playing Family Feud, and the question was "Name two pedals that don't get along well and will start blaring static and picking up radio stations if you put them too close together", you would win a new set of jet skis if you guessed "Fuzz and Wah."

Seriously, try the slash wah or even the 535Q/dimebag with the boost engaged sometime. They're super noisy, and that's not even with a fuzz. Fuzzes are way worse because you'll run into impedance and noise interactions between the two circuits.

The fender fuzz-wah is less noisy, because that's a wah with a fuzz right in the wah circuitry instead of feeding it, but it's still just an inherently loud design.

I don't want to stop you from doing it if you really want a fuzz wah, and there are some things you can do to lessen the issue, but I just wanted to warn you that it's never going to be a quiet pedal.
To be honest I just thought it would be a good project. I never envisaged it to be quiet as a mouse, but not so noisy it wouldn't be worth doing. Like I said, I just wanted to do a mod or two to a redundant Cry Baby.

So humour me, what could be done to reduce noise? Chuck a noise gate circuit in there too?
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
Well, that would be the most effective!

Good things to do would be to get the input/output impedances changed if you're doing a fuzz face style circuit, get independent power supplies for each, make sure the enclosure is well shielded, and experiment with the fuzz circuit board placement within the pedal.

It's a good project, I think. You can get fuzz boards and parts really cheap, and crybabies are great modding platforms. You'll have to be careful with size, though. You can make a fuzz face board really small, but if you get a premade board that won't fit in the crybaby enclosure you'll have to start over.
Quote by Roc8995

Good things to do would be to get the input/output impedances changed

How might I go about this?

It's a Morley, btw, not a Dunlop.
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
Ahahaha, that part is generally a necessity
I only started a month ago,
the things I've learnt from frequenting Jaycar
If you don't understand schematics you, need to do some more reading, but put simply you need to connect the output jack terminals of pedal #1 to the input jack terminals of pedal #2 (look at the schematic), there's probs one ground and one audio. btw, is this fuzz -> wah or wah -> fuzz?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jun 21, 2011,
I haven't dug inside a wah pedal before, but I'm assuming moving the pedal adjusts a pot of some sort. What if you wired it up so the wah pedal control activated the fuzz level pot from the fuzz circuit instead? Then, instead of having a fuzz pedal that you pre-set the amount of fuzz and then turn on/off with a pedal as you play, you'd have a fuzz pedal where you can control the amount of fuzz as you go.
But then you can't control the wah?
controlling the level with a wah is essentially a volume pedal connected to a fuzz pedal.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
But then you can't control the wah?

Well, no, since there's no wah in there, just the pedal control from it. I would have thought the "What if you..." part of my post made it pretty clear that it was a suggestion of something OP might like to try, not the be-all and end-all as-ordained-by-$deity solution to all life's problems or anything. So yes, I'm well aware that if you bolt the guts of a fuzz pedal to the shell of a wah pedal, without using the wah circuit in any way, then there won't be any of the original wah effect available to control. Though thank you for pointing it out, cause I guess there are people on the internet whose reading comprehension is lacking and who may have been confused by my short and direct post.

controlling the level with a wah is essentially a volume pedal connected to a fuzz pedal.

Well, yeah, if the wah circuit is still in there too, and still connected to the pedal control at the same time as the fuzz level is. Which is not at all what I was suggesting.
Morley wahs don't use pots. They use LDR's so that is going to be more difficult.

How this is wired up really depends on how you want it to work.
Do you want the wah and fuzz to work independently. Meaning you can turn one off and still use the other. This means inputs and outputs of both effects are going to be tied together through two switches.

Do you want them in series with a single switch to bypass both? The way to do this is to basically cut the output connection of the wah in half, insert a switch that switches between bypass (essentially connecting the cut connection back together) and the input and output of the fuzz.

You will need to decide if you want the fuzz before or after the wah. A buffer between the two would be a good idea to make them play nicer together.
I think I'll pass on the fuzz-wah-that-isn't-really-a-wah-at-all guys

Griffin, it would be nice to be able to switch the fuzz off, but not essential.

Ok, let me get my head around this. Would the switch in question need to be the original switch in the pedal? Or a new DPDT/whatever switch altogether? So you wouldn't connect the fuzz in to the wah out at all, just to the switch? How could a buffer be incorporated?

I think the order of the effects is going to be secondary to working out how to actually pull this off
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
Well, the first thing I would figure out if I were you is if you like the fuzz before or after the wah. It's going to be a big difference where you place it.

Wah and fuzz pedals can be tricky and if you put the fuzz after the wah, it could make the wah not work that well. That's where the buffer in between them would come in.

It's better to figure out what's going to work before you go through with building and wiring everything up only to find out you have a problem.

To have the wah and fuzz independently switched on/off, you will need two DPDT switches if you don't want LED's. Two 3PDT switches if you want LED indicators. Basically you would be wiring up two true bypass switches with the output of the first switch going to the second switch (instead of to the output of the pedal) and the output of the second switch going to output of the pedal. Like this: Input Jack--->1st true bypass switch--->2nd true bypass switch--->Output Jack.

To have the wah bypass everything including the fuzz, you should be able to get away with the original switch and just use a DPDT switch (no LED) or a 3PDT switch (with LED) to switch in the fuzz to the input or the output depending on where you decide you want it.

You may only need a buffer if you put the fuzz after the wah. I've never used a fuzz with a Morley so I don't know how they react together and it will probably depend on the fuzz circuit you are using. It would go Wah--->Buffer---->Fuzz. You could build the buffer right on the beginning of the fuzz if your building your own. It's also possible the Morley has a buffer on the output. Not sure which one you have and I don't do a lot with Morley wah's so I don't know off the top of my head if they have buffers or not.
Quote by Griffin Effects

To have the wah bypass everything including the fuzz, you should be able to get away with the original switch and just use a DPDT switch (no LED) or a 3PDT switch (with LED) to switch in the fuzz to the input or the output depending on where you decide you want it.

Ok, so how would this work in relation to turning the pedal on? Would I have to hit two switches just to turn it on?

Quote by Griffin Effects

You may only need a buffer if you put the fuzz after the wah.

So I should be good for a buffer if I went Fuzz > Wah?
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
ermm i cant read those long posts but this thing sounds fine to me, you might want to stick the fuzz before the wah and nowhere else or it just wont sound good (in most cases). there's nothing wrong about fuzz>wah tho. do not put a buffer before fuzz. as Z. Vexter says (or may be it wasn't him :P ) Fuzz has to be the very first thing after the guitar, nothing inbetween those two.