Hi!
So this summer (2 months) i decided i want to practice 8 hours a day. Most of my friends are not home anyway.I would say i am at an intermidiete level. I can do alternate picking runs pretty good in at least 130 bpm (16th notes), same with tapping and sweeping. I can sight read pretty basic stuff, and can play open chords, 7th cords, dim and dominant bar chords. I can easyly transcribe easy melodies. I can solo with minor/ major and pentatonic scales over the neck. I can also compose and improvise at a decent level. I like all styles of music, but i play mostly prog metal (DT, btbam, opeth etc...). By the summer, i want to take everything i just mentioned to the next level. Can anybody help me make a 8 hour practice sheldue?
Look up the law of diminishing returns. Any more than two or three hours and your wasting your time. Take those eight hours, spend a few on guitar, then pick up another hobby and spend some of it on that.
8 hours a day for 2 months.. Someone's going to quit guitar in 2 months.
Good luck
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
Good luck

Thanks!

Anyway, i dont have any other hobbies than music, and i think its fun... Alot of good players have practiced 8 hours or more for longer times (steve vai for example...) Im probably not getting tierd of it, i use to practice 4-8 hours anyway. I just want it more systematic so i can reach my goals more easy. And im serious about guitar (because i think it is alot of fun).
Hi there man!
1. you can try it but you will find that it is a dream hard to execute...and not so good
2. like "robhc" said the brain will not go more effective the more you practice !
3. i have read about the practice regimen of 2 wonder kids on Youtube (Sung Jungha - the best Acoustic guitar player, and Rockoryon amazing electric guitar player), and they both said they practice about 2 hours a day...no more...look them up and see the results!)

you should maybe practice playing songs for 2 hours (and after 2 months try to have a few songs fully complete with solos and all guitar parts) , listen to music and work on rhythm and feel in dance and sports for a couple more hours and learn theory and watch players on youtube!
best wishes and enjoy!
Quote by Usernames sucks
Thanks!

Anyway, i dont have any other hobbies than music, and i think its fun... Alot of good players have practiced 8 hours or more for longer times (steve vai for example...) Im probably not getting tierd of it, i use to practice 4-8 hours anyway. I just want it more systematic so i can reach my goals more easy. And im serious about guitar (because i think it is alot of fun).

I wouldnt recommend it, its easy to burn out... I would recommend playing for a few hours, then just kick back and listen to any and every type of music out there. Use that extra time to brawden your horizens and expand your knowlage. Just by listening to diffrent genre's your going to pick up new ideas. Such as a certin rhythm you picked up from a Reggae song, or the way Miles Davis and BB King use phrasing, a metal guitarist and how he arranges his solo... a counter melody by James Jamerson in a Motown song, ect... there are tons of things you can learn simply by listening to new tunes.

But if 8hrs a day is what you want to do one guy who did that exact same thing is Tom Morello. When he was at Harvard he would play 8 hrs a day every day for years on end. He would split his day into 4 2hr sessions.

1) Music Teory "he would study anything and everything, not just scales and modes, but rhythm, phrasing, spacing, tone, ect... all fall into music theory"

2) New techniques "he would learn new ones or invent his own, and play with diffrent effects tones, and ideas"

3) Jamming to music "he refused to learn other musicans work, so he played by ear and just jammed to the radio"

4) Writing original music "he would write, or just wank around on the guitar... but for 2 hr's he would only play original music"
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
try steve vai's 10 hour workout and shorten it a bit.
or take petrucci's approach, make a list of all the things you want to practice. for example sweeping, tapping, alternate picking, chords, legato, economy picking.

Then say, you would have 3 hours a day, you do like, monday, wednesday and friday, sweeping, tapping, and alternate, each of them for one hour. then tuesday, thursday and saturday, you do the other 3, also one hour each. sunday you rest from practice sessions.
I didnt read it all, but I think that would be great, within my first year I played 8 hrs a day every day, just me, some songs I liked here and there, and a metronome with loads of exercises... now im quite content after playing 3 years with a year forced break due to real life issues.. but I say do it man... by the end.. the reward is immense
its about quality of practice not quantity. Forcing yourself to do this 8 hours a day for 2 months could be very risky. It could lead to all sorts of rsi or tired muscles. You have to make sure you take regular breaks in a long practice. I have had 2 top musicians (not famous but proper working pro's) say practice is best little and often. So you work on a few things, and then take a small break, then work on a few more things, and so on.

Also, if you have been working on some scale based, follow up with some chord based, then some thing different again. Its good for stretching your fingers out and makes your fingers used to going between different things.

I'd take some of this time to learn (if you havnt already) the major scale, all the minor, major and 7th chords all over the neck in the CAGED system, the triads etc. Dont just try to play fast.

My biggest advice will be, dont try do this every single day for 2 months, thats just to much. Guitar is a physical exercise, and your muscles will end up tired, stopping progress. You need to take it easy some days.
Wow, I love you, TS. Your first post is exactly what I want as well, and what I can do now.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by jkielq91
its about quality of practice not quantity. Forcing yourself to do this 8 hours a day for 2 months could be very risky. It could lead to all sorts of rsi or tired muscles. You have to make sure you take regular breaks in a long practice. I have had 2 top musicians (not famous but proper working pro's) say practice is best little and often. So you work on a few things, and then take a small break, then work on a few more things, and so on.

Also, if you have been working on some scale based, follow up with some chord based, then some thing different again. Its good for stretching your fingers out and makes your fingers used to going between different things.

I'd take some of this time to learn (if you havnt already) the major scale, all the minor, major and 7th chords all over the neck in the CAGED system, the triads etc. Dont just try to play fast.

My biggest advice will be, dont try do this every single day for 2 months, thats just to much. Guitar is a physical exercise, and your muscles will end up tired, stopping progress. You need to take it easy some days.

It's not the hours you put in, its what you put into the hours that matters
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
I envy you for having that kind. Of time to practice.I try to get 3 hours in a day and im always running out of time. And I get frustrated.have you ever considered modifying the steve vai 10 hour guitar workout to your 8 hours?
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
If you're really keen on getting that much better over summer I think something a little more realistic is a 2-3 hour practice routine that systematically covers all that you want to improve in, and then after that just jam to backing tracks/play stuff you enjoy and what not.

I typically practice 2-3 hours per day, and then just play around in front of the tv for another 2-3 hours, so the guitar is still in my hands quite a bit but some of it is just having fun. Also, maybe dedicate an hour or so a day to reading up on some music theory or something.
i agree with splitting it up if you want to do 8 hours. try to do different things as well so you arent burning out on one or two things. i would say 8 hours is a bit much. maybe cut it down to 4. if you do want to do 8 hours, keep it diverse in what you do. dont spend 8 hours on different metronom exercises.

they say that after an hour or two of doing something, you begin to make mistakes. you dont want to be practicing mistakes.
This worked wonders for me. You HAVE to mix it up. I tried 10 hours a day, and I improved so much... though you HAVE to mix it up. Remember, 50% technique 50% composing. If you take 4 hours of that 8 and make it into composing a cool riff/song from the techniques you learned, you'll be WAY ahead of some guy who only practices technique.

Remember, you need perfect technique if youre doing 8 hours a day. If not, at the end of 2 months you'll want to quit guitar from repetitive strain injury or carpal tunnel.
: )