I hope this is the right forum, if not just move/close the thread.

So, I need new pickups to replace my Ibanez infinitys. I play everything from Pink Floyd to Arch Enemy, my favorite music style is progressive metal, Nevermore, Dream Theater and Devin Townsend rank among my favorite bands. Here are some specs for the pickups I want:

-Two Humbuckers
-Passive
-Price range: less than 100 euros
-As versatile as possible

I have been thinking of DiMarzios, what do you think of getting a Crunch Lab DP228 for Bridge and DP158 Evolution for Neck? I think Seymour Duncans are good too, but I dont want to get EMG's (Those are the three best pickup manufactorers I know.)

The music style would be prog metal, so the pickups have to be versatile.
Sd Jb & 59!
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

I actually play Nevermore, and Dream theater and I use Dimarzio Evolution in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck, it works fine for me. As for an evolution neck pickup I find they have too little output and just seem kind of lifeless to me. Sadly I have not used a Crunch lab before so I cannot give any advice on it, but Dimarzio has a satisfaction guarantee so if you don't like the pickup you can take it out of the guitar, mail it to them, and replace it with a pickup of equal value until you are happy.
Quote by Pg.inc_music
I actually play Nevermore, and Dream theater and I use Dimarzio Evolution in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck, it works fine for me. As for an evolution neck pickup I find they have too little output and just seem kind of lifeless to me. Sadly I have not used a Crunch lab before so I cannot give any advice on it, but Dimarzio has a satisfaction guarantee so if you don't like the pickup you can take it out of the guitar, mail it to them, and replace it with a pickup of equal value until you are happy.

Great. Thomann has a high output Evolution on sale, I think ill buy that then.

and Rossmillertarn, wut?
Here's a problem, you're looking for a tone that covers everything from low and moderate gain down to tones that can literally slam the front end of your amp.

However, here's the problem, your amp isn't going to show much improvement in tone due to the change in pups.

I'd recommend upgrading your amp before your pups. As it is right now, your Cube will sound no different from having stock ibby pups... or a set of handwound Bare Knuckles.

Change your amp, THEN your pickups. Otherwise you're just wasting money.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Saint78

Dude, stop making recommendations that have not been properly thought out and evaluated.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Dude, stop making recommendations that have not been properly thought out and evaluated.

Have you ever heard of Hufscmide (spelling?) guitars? If you haven't heres a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtzC0cUug6A
It's a great guitar for prog, and guess what pups are in that guitar? That's right, Kent Armstrong P-90s. I actually did think that through, thank you very much.
you're a stone fox
New amp is on the way, of course i know my amp sucks. But i have money for both amp and pups. And i dont know anything about pups, so im asking for advice with them.
Quote by Saint78
Have you ever heard of Hufscmide (spelling?) guitars? If you haven't heres a video.
It's a great guitar for prog, and guess what pups are in that guitar? That's right, Kent Armstrong P-90s. I actually did think that through, thank you very much.

Lets see you chugg with that.

The point is that the TS does not own that guitar and dregging up P90s at every single Pup recommendation is not going to help. Just because it works for one person doesn't mean it will automatically work for everyone else. So unless you're going to go over to the TS' house to help him tweak/adjust/install parts or his rig... don't go recommending extremes that are not usually recognised to work.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty

The point is that the TS does not own that guitar and dregging up P90s at every single Pup recommendation is not going to help. Just because it works for one person doesn't mean it will automatically work for everyone else. So unless you're going to go over to the TS' house to help him tweak/adjust/install parts or his rig... don't go recommending extremes that are not usually recognised to work.

I know what P90s are and i know i dont want them. I think Di Marzios are the best pups for me, but im not sure about the specific models.
Quote by guitar/bass95
New amp is on the way, of course i know my amp sucks. But i have money for both amp and pups. And i dont know anything about pups, so im asking for advice with them.

Order of upgrade:

1. New amp
2. Pickups

Pickups are intended to tweak and adjust your tone in order to further enhance tonal characteristics or correct tonal weaknesses.

Until you get your amp and identify what exactly you do not like and want changed for your guitar, spending money on pups is like firing a handgun into the sea, hoping to kill some fishes.

Quote by guitar/bass95
I think Di Marzios are the best pups for me, but im not sure about the specific models.

I need to know what your amp does for you, and how you want to shape your tone before I can make any recommendations.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty

Fair enough.
you're a stone fox
Quote by ragingkitty
Order of upgrade:

1. New amp
2. Pickups

Pickups are intended to tweak and adjust your tone in order to further enhance tonal characteristics or correct tonal weaknesses.

Until you get your amp and identify what exactly you do not like and want changed for your guitar, spending money on pups is like firing a handgun into the sea, hoping to kill some fishes.

Infinity pickups are tonal weaknesses. My friend has a guitar that cost less than 200 euros and it has better tone than mine. I love everything else about my Ibanez except the pickups. And the amp is fixed already.
Quote by Saint78
Fair enough.

Finally. Not that I disagree with your approach or the KAs. However, the point is not to recommend things that will end up costing more to work. I recognise that P90s are good for certain applications, but when recommending... at least recognise that unless the TS is prepared to spend more, or is going to make drastic changes, or is seeking your approach... sometimes the standard-one-size is the most cost and effort effective approach.

Hey, if someone else is seeking your approach, then by all means, throw the book out the window. Otherwise, lets not make other UGers spend more money than they want to or need to.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by guitar/bass95
Infinity pickups are tonal weaknesses. My friend has a guitar that cost less than 200 euros and it has better tone than mine. I love everything else about my Ibanez except the pickups. And the amp is fixed already.

No, but what exactly is it about the pups you do not like?

I'm assuming you've heard your guitar through your new amp? What is it about the new tone you like and what is it you do not like.

I still need to know what amp you are getting.

I know how the INF pups sound... but I don't know how you want your new tone to sound through your new amp.

What you're telling me is like this... in referene to cake.

You see a cake, you tell me you don't like it... but what exactly you do not like you don't tell me, so I don't know WHY you don't like the cake.
Is it too heavy?
Do you not like fresh cream?
Do you not like a pink colour cake?
Do you not like mango filling?
Is it too sweet?
etc etc
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Finally. Not that I disagree with your approach or the KAs. However, the point is not to recommend things that will end up costing more to work. I recognise that P90s are good for certain applications, but when recommending... at least recognise that unless the TS is prepared to spend more, or is going to make drastic changes, or is seeking your approach... sometimes the standard-one-size is the most cost and effort effective approach.

Hey, if someone else is seeking your approach, then by all means, throw the book out the window. Otherwise, lets not make other UGers spend more money than they want to or need to.

Alright thanks for the advice, Im kinda new to the GG&A.
you're a stone fox
Quote by ragingkitty
No, but what exactly is it about the pups you do not like?

I'm assuming you've heard your guitar through your new amp? What is it about the new tone you like and what is it you do not like.

I still need to know what amp you are getting.

I know how the INF pups sound... but I don't know how you want your new tone to sound through your new amp.

What you're telling me is like this... in referene to cake.

You see a cake, you tell me you don't like it... but what exactly you do not like you don't tell me, so I don't know WHY you don't like the cake.
Is it too heavy?
Do you not like fresh cream?
Do you not like a pink colour cake?
Do you not like mango filling?
Is it too sweet?
etc etc

um, no offense to you, but you sound like you keep me a total beginner with guitar playing. I just dont know much about different pickup models. But im not tone deaf. Only thing I ask is advice with pickups, I did not ask advice with amplifiers and tonal qualities. I tend to think things through and plan ahead, I have been thinking of buying the pickups and the amp for six months already. Only thing im still unsure of is the pickup models. And I would like advice with them, not with cakes. No offense, I get your point, this would be very helpful if I wouldn't know what im doing.

And the amp is going to be peavey 6505+112 combo. I want DiMarzios to balance the heaviness of that amp. Peaveys are metal amplifiers, and i wish the pickups will bring more to the tone than just gain.
bridge pup - Dimarzio Steves Special
neck pup - Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell

that will cover everything you really want
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by guitar/bass95
um, no offense to you, but you sound like you keep me a total beginner with guitar playing. I just dont know much about different pickup models. But im not tone deaf. Only thing I ask is advice with pickups, I did not ask advice with amplifiers and tonal qualities. I tend to think things through and plan ahead, I have been thinking of buying the pickups and the amp for six months already. Only thing im still unsure of is the pickup models. And I would like advice with them, not with cakes. No offense, I get your point, this would be very helpful if I wouldn't know what im doing.

And the amp is going to be peavey 6505+112 combo. I want DiMarzios to balance the heaviness of that amp. Peaveys are metal amplifiers, and i wish the pickups will bring more to the tone than just gain.

None taken, but these are the typical questions posed before I make any recommendation. You know what you want... but I don't. You know how you want to change the tone, but I don't... so its very hard for me to make any recommendations at all.

The way I look at your situation, I'd want pups which will give you a good and balanced EQ curve to overcome the darker 6505 and the fact that your RG is going to have emphasized mids. Personally I'd want to change the tone to avoid giving your final sound a dark and nasally tone.

I'd look for a brighter pickups with a upper mid emphasis for the bridge and something with a scoop for your bridge.

For high output ~
Bridge: Super 2 OR D-Activator
Neck: PAF Pro OR PAF Joe OR Humbucker from Hell

For low / moderate output
Bridge: Air Classic Bridge
Neck: Air Classic Neck

OR

Bridge: PAF Pro
Neck: Humbucker from hell

Wasn't it just easier to tell me what I needed to know, rather than beat around the bush?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by JLT73
bridge pup - Dimarzio Steves Special
neck pup - Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell

that will cover everything you really want

I can check out the Humbucker from Hell. Thomann doesn't have steve's special on sale so thats out of count. But thanks for help.

Thanks for Ragingkitty, too. What about dimarzio Super 2 on bridge and Humbucker from hell on the neck? They are even cheaper than I expected, which is good.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by guitar/bass95
I can check out the Humbucker from Hell. Thomann doesn't have steve's special on sale so thats out of count. But thanks for help.

Thanks for Ragingkitty, too. What about dimarzio Super 2 on bridge and Humbucker from hell on the neck? They are even cheaper than I expected, which is good.

the super 2/humbucker from hell combo would do you extremely well. that's another good recommendation
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
the super 2/humbucker from hell combo would do you extremely well. that's another good recommendation

I like that combo to give basswood guitars that singing top end and sparkle.

That said, not many people like having too much top end, but in this case, I think its necessary to balance out the mid hum from the basswood and the dark nature of the 6505. Too bright? just lower the tone knob.

The HFH is a sparkling, clear and chimey pup, very good for singing solos.. you can also change the cap value of your tone knob if you want a darker tone as your turn your tone knob done for the early rock.

The Super 2 can definitely give you a strong crunch to go with your 6505.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
I like that combo to give basswood guitars that singing top end and sparkle.

That said, not many people like having too much top end, but in this case, I think its necessary to balance out the mid hum from the basswood and the dark nature of the 6505. Too bright? just lower the tone knob.

The HFH is a sparkling, clear and chimey pup, very good for singing solos.. you can also change the cap value of your tone knob if you want a darker tone as your turn your tone knob done for the early rock.

The Super 2 can definitely give you a strong crunch to go with your 6505.

100% agree
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by guitar/bass95

yes
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Correct. I don't read Finnish.. but maybe you should also make a note to Thomann when ordering that the Super 2 is meant for the bridge.. and the HFH for the neck... just in case.

Oh, remember F-spacing for the Super 2 if your RG has a flyod rose.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Correct. I don't read Finnish.. but maybe you should also make a note to Thomann when ordering that the Super 2 is meant for the bridge.. and the HFH for the neck... just in case.

Oh, remember F-spacing for the Super 2 if your RG has a flyod rose.

yeah, I checked the positions, all correct.

By the way, whats it with the RG? I use S model.
Quote by Saint78
Those are the first dual coil P-90s that I've ever seen.

Wait, nevermind, no they aren't. Seth Lover made a dual coil pickup back in the '50s, I think he called it a hum...berker? or something...
Quote by Saint78

that was terrible.

you ever see p90s with 2 sets of screws?

no. because you are idiots.

actually you didn't think it through because it says on blackdroids website that they are humbuckers... custom designed.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer