Hey all,

I've spend some time playing at speed 80bpm with 16 notes now and feel pretty comfortable, but there are still a few mistakes, example: i go through many shapes of a major scale and lets say i get something like 5 mistakes, and not horrendous ones, just minor. Should i go for a faster time and push it a bit, or should i keep at 80bpm and try to fix these flaws?

thank you
Join the Guitar Religion
Play slow until you can play it 100% perfect. If you cant play it slow, you probaply cant play it fast.

Remember that speed is the by-product of accuracy.
Quote by igordubai
Hey all,

I've spend some time playing at speed 80bpm with 16 notes now and feel pretty comfortable, but there are still a few mistakes, example: i go through many shapes of a major scale and lets say i get something like 5 mistakes, and not horrendous ones, just minor. Should i go for a faster time and push it a bit, or should i keep at 80bpm and try to fix these flaws?

thank you

When you're practicing there is no differentiation, there are only mistakes. Any mistake is a bad one.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
+ 1

A mistake is a mistake - if you make mistakes when you practice then all you end up doing is training yourself to make those mistakes. And if you can't play something accurately at 80bpm how can you expect to be able to play it faster - what you need to do is slow down.

Also it's worth re-evaluating your reasons for practicing, and also the stuff you're working on. What's your aim here - because running up and down scales doesn't really teach you all that much. Likewise how fast you can play a scale doesn't really mean anything in terms of whether or not your a good guitarist - you don't judge yourself on how well you pracice, it's how well you play that counts. Chasing the metronome for the sake of "reaching the next level" is just about the worst trap you can fall into.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
+ 1

A mistake is a mistake - if you make mistakes when you practice then all you end up doing is training yourself to make those mistakes. And if you can't play something accurately at 80bpm how can you expect to be able to play it faster - what you need to do is slow down.

Also it's worth re-evaluating your reasons for practicing, and also the stuff you're working on. What's your aim here - because running up and down scales doesn't really teach you all that much. Likewise how fast you can play a scale doesn't really mean anything in terms of whether or not your a good guitarist - you don't judge yourself on how well you pracice, it's how well you play that counts. Chasing the metronome for the sake of "reaching the next level" is just about the worst trap you can fall into.

I'm starting to agree with this more and more everyday. I, too, am on a quest for shred-like speeds. I've been at it for just over two months now, using guitar speed trainer and some other exercises/scales/arpeggios. While, I think this stuff is useful, what I've found to be the most effective is actually just playing songs--the rythym parts and the guitar solos (strangely, the rythym parts seem to have a better effect on developing chops than the lead, believe it or not). Using guitar pro, I slow it down to a speed I can play along with at 100% accuracy. I've only been at it for about 2 months so my speed hasn't increased significantly, but I feel that playing actual songs, both rythym and lead, is having a more significant effect on my technique than the scales/arpeggios/exercises. The muscles in my hands feel stronger and better developed and I can see how the speed will come eventually on its own if I stop concentrating on it as a goal, you know? Just play the music, not the speed...keep trying different songs...it will come eventually. I think I have become a full endorser of the whole 'speed comes from accuracy' camp. When you think about it, it makes perfect sense--I daresay "common sense", lol. If you can't play something slow, perfectly, how on god's green earth can you expect to play it fast? To be sure, there are those who can pick up a guitar and play fast sooner than others, but that doesn't mean that 'others' won't be able to play fast eventually. I agree with the idea that playing scales and pursuing speed is kind of a trap (from bitter experience--this isn't my first quest for shred speed). It's time to get back to focussing on playing music for me, and if the speed comes with it eventually, then all the better.
Quote by steven seagull
+ 1
What's your aim here - because running up and down scales doesn't really teach you all that much. Likewise how fast you can play a scale doesn't really mean anything in terms of whether or not your a good guitarist - you don't judge yourself on how well you pracice, it's how well you play that counts. Chasing the metronome for the sake of "reaching the next level" is just about the worst trap you can fall into.

This.

I fell into this trap. I wasted a lot of time just practicing running up and down scales, which did not really help me at all with my soloing. Once you learn a scale, practice soloing over a simple chord progression with it. This will help much more.

Sure, a fast run up or down a scale sounds sweet in a solo, but it's not something I would recommend focusing on.
Meh. I hit the 80bpm 16th notes plateau (however the hell you spell that <--) a few weeks ago and even though if i played for a couple hours, i could probably go 85 or 90, i don't.

So i don't focus too much anymore on just going up and down that stupid box; i try and do simple solos stuff with it, and learn solos using the scale. Anyway, i think i'll learn some fingerpicking while i wait for the speed xD
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"