Now I shouldn't say 1K for JUST the guitar.

I just graduated and I have about 1200$ USD in grad money. I still have one other family member who typically gives me a lot of cash so I expect to probably have a higher budget but let's just work with what I have for now.

I really either want to do the following.

Get a new guitar, buy new pickups of my choice to put in well

OR

Get my first half stack

If I go with getting the guitar and pickups:

The guitar must have passive pickups, a fixed bridge (hate floyds...), and preferably be a neck or set thru. I'm really into heavy, thrash, and OLDSCHOOl death metal.

Bands like Annihilator, Trivium, Judas Priest, Death, Megadeth, Cynic, Machine Head, Pantera, and guys like Paul Gilbert and Marty Friedman.

I really want to have a heavy sound but also have versatility available to me to some degree.

OR

If I go with an amp all I have to say is I'd probably only just want it to be a tube amp. I've already listed the bands I admire and whatnot.

If anybody needs any more info please ask!

So any suggestions on what I should do?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Quote by User_Name336
i would say you already have a pretty good setup for both guitars and amp...

if you dont mind me asking, why are you looking for another guitar/amp?

I really like my Jr. V but it's not quite perfect to me. And now since I have more money than I've ever had for a music budget I'm looking to get closer to what I want.

I kind of got my V as a way to get the "ZOMG FLOYD ROSE" or "ZOMG EMGz!" out of my system. Now that I've owned guitars with both passives and actives as well as fixed and tremolo bridges, I know what I'm into in terms of sound just a little bit better.

I like the organic-ness of passive pickups for example. I know that I F'ING DESPISE floyd rose/trem bridge guitars.

I guess ultimately as well I'm just looking for an upgrade because it's within my grasp and it's the best thing I can think of possibly spending my grad money on.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by AndrewChrist
esp ec?

Comes with actives and I have no desire to go through what a pain in the butt I've heard putting passives into an active-ready guitar is.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
A higher end Jackson seems like it would work really well for you for what you listed if you like the compound radius necks. For amps, maybe a JCM 800 but idk if thats enough for the head and a decent cab. Maybe you could find a good LTD or ESP without a trem or actives. Just to give you a staring place
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Comes with actives and I have no desire to go through what a pain in the butt I've heard putting passives into an active-ready guitar is.

I thought they also had EC-1000's with passives in them? Or you could get a Edwards E-LP which look a bit more like a normal Les Paul and are also made by ESP in Japan.
Quote by TheBodomBullet

actually, there are 3 EC 1000 that come with passives. the goldtop has SD Alnico III pro, and the FM and VB have SD 59/JB
I'd check out a schecter c-1 custom. It meets your specs, and it should sing like no other, or if you're lucky you could find a used c-1 classic. Mine sustains for days thanks to the neck thru, and pups provide everything from infinite bawlz to delicious cleans. Not to mention it's a beautiful axe.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
well, your amp is suitable for the music you play, however it is acheaper amp (bugera). nothing wrong with that, i have a bugera and love it.

dont recommend guitar and amp, your budget is cutt too far to get what you want i think.

guitar - well. there are plenty of options in the 1000 range. however, not with a neck through. that is a much rarer breed.

CARVIN - neck throughs start at about 700 and go up in any configuartion bridges/pickups, etc. you can choose your own woods and finishes, headstocks etc.
If you can scrape together a little bit more money, an ESP Horizon NT-II checks all your boxes and sounds great.
Quote by krehzeekid
If you can scrape together a little bit more money, an ESP Horizon NT-II checks all your boxes and sounds great.

That actually looks really nice.

Just out of curiosity is there a guitar like that in a non-typical superstrat shape?

No biggie if no but I'm just into non-conventional shapes.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
That actually looks really nice.

Just out of curiosity is there a guitar like that in a non-typical superstrat shape?

No biggie if no but I'm just into non-conventional shapes.

not quite the same league as a Japanese ESP but: Ibanez DTT700 is pretty much what you want as well; good passive pickups, neck-thru, metal friendly (and it sounds good through 6505 type amps). plus, its cheap enough to allow you to get a tubescreamer for your amp (you'll be blown away by how much it helps)
You need a new guitar more than a new amp. For metal either ESP or Ibanez would be great choices imo. You say you like Paul Gilbert; he has a signature model, so that would be worth checking out. If you're going to get new pickups I'm going to have to say Bareknuckles. They are brilliant pickups and there's a different model for pretty much everything. If you can't afford Bareknuckles, Dimarzio's would be a great choice, or if you're really skint, have a pair of Iron Gears shipped over.

And as the guy above said, getting a tubescreamer would be a brilliant thing to do.
used USA jackson?
some form of a gibson les paul?
if youre just going to change out the pickups, probably look at like an ibanez prestige

and if youre happy with your amp, why change it?
Wait until around september when the new Machine Head album is released which is when Epiphone should realease the Robb Fynn Love Death baritone flying v...yes i know it's got an active EMG but you never know you may like it.
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Quote by JD2k9
You need a new guitar more than a new amp. For metal either ESP or Ibanez would be great choices imo. You say you like Paul Gilbert; he has a signature model, so that would be worth checking out. If you're going to get new pickups I'm going to have to say Bareknuckles. They are brilliant pickups and there's a different model for pretty much everything. If you can't afford Bareknuckles, Dimarzio's would be a great choice, or if you're really skint, have a pair of Iron Gears shipped over.

And as the guy above said, getting a tubescreamer would be a brilliant thing to do.

That's a very kind thought but I'm not interested in buying anyone's signature model. Idk, makes it feel less of my own.

And YES YES YES. Absolutely man. I was planning on buying some form of BKP's regardless of what guitar I purchased.

Two more things I forgot to mention. MUST have 24 frets and preferably not a typical superstrat shape (I like wild shapes for my guitars).

Thanks a lot so far guys. Keep the suggestions coming!
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
BC Rich Mockiingbird or Bich. both have 24 frets and come in neck thru models.
Hmmm I'd leave the metal guitars to the others, but have you also considered a PRS SE Custom 24. That's versatility right there.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Seanthesheep
Im gonna get flammed for this.... but how about a high end BCrich mocking bird?

Yeah but don't all the high end ones have floyd rose bridges?

Quote by ragingkitty
Hmmm I'd leave the metal guitars to the others, but have you also considered a PRS SE Custom 24. That's versatility right there.

If I were smart I'd got with a PRS like that but I'm not. Idk man it's just not my style. Not in sound so much as in appearance lol.

Quote by JD2k9
Wild shapes?
How about a Xiphos?

I heard that was discontinued? The BC Rich's Stealth is prob one of my fave shapes so the Xiphos naturally looks pretty sick to me. Doesn't that also have like 27 frets too or something unconventional like that?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Last edited by TheBodomBullet at Jun 22, 2011,