I basically didn't know what to buy, HH or standard. I play hard rock, but our other guitar player has a gibson LP. So I thought I should have single coils for a bit more diversity.

Now what I was wondering: Is there a good fender tele with a humbucker and a single coil? My budget is only 700$ ~ € 600. Or should I buy the standard mexican tele and put in a humbucker myself? What would be the best if you look at quality and price?
For that money how about something like a Gibson SG Special Faded?
It's just in your price range, sounds nice and will give you a nice hard rock tone while it doesn't sounding like a Les Paul either.
charvel telecaster maybe? Pretty sure they do ones with humbuckers and singlecoils
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Not saying a tele wouldn't work especially one with humbuckers, but you may also want to check out a strat. Tele's have a "twangy" sound that is not always the best for hard rock, and a strat will give you the fender sound without the twang.

If I were you I'd skip the modding and go for a Classic 72 Tele deluxe. It should provide great hard rock tone without all the hassle of buying and modding something with single coils. Plus if you can always change the pickups later but this gives you a better platform than just a standard tele
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Telecaster Custom:

Fits right into your budget.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
You can split the coild on Blacktop Strat and Tele and get singlecoil sound.
Quote by jeTTa02
You can split the coild on Blacktop Strat and Tele and get singlecoil sound.

nope, only on the Strat.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I'm sure you could install a humbucker at the neck if you needed to, but that more or less defeats the purpose of the sound.
Quote by dkeenan
I'm sure you could install a humbucker at the neck if you needed to, but that more or less defeats the purpose of the sound.

Because Teles are mostly known for their neck-singlecoil tones?
Wrong (at least IMO).
I'm actually planning on doing this at some point - why not buy a used standard Tele (or something in that price range) and then swap out the neck pickup yourself? Fender isn't exactly known for having fantastic humbuckers installed so why not buy used and invest in a humbucker that suits your sound?
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Because Teles are mostly known for their neck-singlecoil tones?
Wrong (at least IMO).

Who knows, maybe you are right.

When I think of a Fender Guitar w/ Humbuckers, I disregard Blacktops. I just think of those Mustangs, but I haven't even played one to form an opinion.
Depends where you want the humbucker. If we were talking about a Strat we could assume you were thinking of putting the humbucker in the bridge position. But with Telecasters it's more common to put a humbucker in the neck position only. Quite a difference.
How about a G&L ASAT Deluxe? It's an HH configuration, but you can coil tap both pickups, and switch to the full humbucker when you can if you want to beef it up a little.

There's an ASAT bluesboy too, but that is SH, single coil in the bridge, and 'buckers in the neck.

Of course there is the tribute model too.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Last edited by BlueIceBox at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by BlueIceBox
How about a G&L ASAT Special? It's an HH configuration, but you can coil tap both pickups, and switch to the full humbucker when you can if you want to beef it up a little.

There's an ASAT blueboy too, but that is SH, single coil in the bridge, and 'buckers in the neck.

Of course there is the tribute model too.

Thats an ASAt deluxe...not a special....
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by Controlpanel
Thats an ASAt deluxe...not a special....

Correct, my mistake!
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus