I just put a DiMarzio Super Distortion (DP100) pickup in the bridge of my PRS SE and love it but in the middle position (guitar has three) it sounds very weak and toppy, more as if it was operating as a single coil. I following instructions that came with the pickup and am sure it's sounding right in just the bridge position. but I wonder if I needed to do something else to have the mid position sound right.
who uses the middle position? It sounds crap in the middle position in my guitar too, infact any guitar ive played has sounded crap in the middle position
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by RetroGunslinger
who uses the middle position? It sounds crap in the middle position in my guitar too, infact any guitar ive played has sounded crap in the middle position

Well with the stock pup the guitar's mid position sounded alright. Not that I'm gonna replace it cause the super distortion really rocks but I was just wondering. Do you have the super distortion or another pup?
I had the same problem when I installed a bridge pickup that was much Higher output then my neck pickup, it totally threw off the balance in the middle position and made it thin and terrible, so I replaced the neck pickup and it now has the best middle position I have heard.
Quote by gypsyblues
Well with the stock pup the guitar's mid position sounded alright. Not that I'm gonna replace it cause the super distortion really rocks but I was just wondering. Do you have the super distortion or another pup?

Ive got a super distortion in the bridge of my bc rich and a dimarzio chopper i think in the neck. Obviously the bridge sounds best for rythmn and the neck sounds best for cleans and leads but in the middle it just sounds sort of tinny and overly bright, it might just be a case of some pickups work better together than others.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Does it only sound crap in combination with the other pickups or does it still sound rubbish on its own?

Edit: oh, you can only try it soloed? Well I know this sounds silly, but if it's a four conductor pickup check all the wiring in case you wired one coil the wrong way around.
Last edited by smb at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by RetroGunslinger

I use the middle position a lot actually. When running on my clean channel, I use it for a more strat-like sound, and it can sound nice if I use it for leads on my dirty channel.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Hmm, seems from these comments that this problem just goes with the territory. Still I find it strange since the guitar's stock bridge pup, while notoriously lower output, doesn't really drop in volume compared to the super distortion, it just cleans up in comparison. This I actually love because I can do a mellow bluesy lead in the neck and then swich to the bridge if I wanna slaughter everyone in the room. But I guess the downside is you sacrifice the middle.
Quote by RetroGunslinger

Then something is wrong with every guitar you've played. That, or something is wrong with your ears.

I use the middle positions a lot in every type of guitar, and they sound perfectly fine.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by smb
Does it only sound crap in combination with the other pickups or does it still sound rubbish on its own?

Edit: oh, you can only try it soloed? Well I know this sounds silly, but if it's a four conductor pickup check all the wiring in case you wired one coil the wrong way around.

I'm pretty sure it sounds fine on its own. It is a four conductor pup but I followed the instructions that said I had to solder the black and white wires together, the ground to the other ground and the hot with the other hot. Now, as I said before, I am a bit surprised that the pup doesn't sound louder than my stock neck pup, just has plenty more gain. Is this normal or a sign I wired it wrong?
So it only sounds weak when combined with the neck pickup, and both pickups by themselves sound hotter than when they're combined?
In that case, they're probably wired out of phase with each other. Swap the hot and ground (red and green) of the Dimarzio, that will reverse its phase so when you combine them it won't sound weak. Leave the bare wire grounded.
Quote by littlephil
So it only sounds weak when combined with the neck pickup, and both pickups by themselves sound hotter than when they're combined?
In that case, they're probably wired out of phase with each other. Swap the hot and ground (red and green) of the Dimarzio, that will reverse its phase so when you combine them it won't sound weak. Leave the bare wire grounded.

This, I actually preferred the middle position when I had EMG 81's in my strat, never sounded thin.

Best use of the out of phase sound I've ever heard is Red-The Death of Me, at 38 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj-d4rvuRk8
Quote by littlephil

Will this change the sound of the pups on their own or would it only change the mid position?