I saw a steal on craigslist the other day – an Ibanez RG320DX for $50. At first I thought it was a scam but I called the guy and it was legit. I met him with $50 in hand and walked away with a new toy. I wasn’t looking for another guitar but at that price how could I pass it up?

It didn’t look perfect but the problems were mostly cosmetic. The strings were really old and oxidized, the action was so low that every string buzzed and there were small nicks on the body. The whole guitar was pretty dirty too. But the electronics worked, the neck was straight and there were no big chips or cracks in the finish.

I tossed the old strings, cleaned and polished the body, cleaned and conditioned the fretboard, polished the frets and installed a set of straplocks. Some of the string holder blocks in the tremolo were oxidized and wouldn’t move. So I took apart the tremolo, scraped the rust off, sprayed a little silicone on the blocks and put it all back together. The output jack crackles a little if you move the cable around. I’ll have to look at that eventually but it works fine as long as I don’t bump it while playing.

I really like this guitar so far. Other than a couple small scratches the finish is in pretty good shape. The blue paint has a metallic flake if you look close. The Wizard II neck is really easy to play and the tapered neck joint makes it easy to get all the way up to the highest frets. The stock pickups aren’t the best and I’ll probably swap them out eventually, but they’ll do for now.

This is my first guitar with a floating tremolo so that’s taking some getting used to. It took forever to get the thing in tune! And when I was playing it last night I bent a string pretty far and there was a popping sound from the bridge, then the whole thing was way out of tune. I think the whole tremolo slipped or shifted (if that’s possible). From what I’ve read the stock Lo-TRS trem isn’t that great so I may end up swapping it out. Or I might just block it, I’m not sure.

Overall I’m really happy with it, especially for only $50! It’s obviously not a Prestige or anything, but these lower level RGs seem like a great starting point. Swap out the pickups and maybe the tremolo and you have a very playable instrument.

EDIT: the photos I tried to include didn't work for some reason, so here's a link to the images:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64253559@N04/5851497462/in/set-72157626877413607/
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Jun 21, 2011,
pics don't work for me
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Yeah the pics didn't work for some reason. Probably operator error... Anyway, the Flickr link should work...
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Yup that's a steal indeed.

HNGD.

I hate craiglist. Japan's craigslist isn't so active its boring to watch every day ( mainly because they can't read it ) and when something comes up, its some crappy cheap stuff or great gear being sold used for the price of a new one.
Good steal. Now put a Blaze set and a 0 point in there and you've got yourself a DIY-Prestige
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by Chikao42
Good steal. Now put a Blaze set and a 0 point in there and you've got yourself a DIY-Prestige

Yup, for A LOT less too
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by Chikao42

but it's a 6string
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

50 USD For that? Oh my effing god, that's 34€. Might as well have gotten it for free!

This is one heck of a good deal, regardless of whether you need a new guitar or not. NHGD
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.