Hi again,

So I am currently in the process of looking for a new gigging amp, when I came across this...

http://www.hollywood-music.co.uk/products.php?product=Seymour-Duncan-Convertible-100-Guitar-Combo-%252d-Valve-100W-%252d-Pre%252downed

Seymour Duncan made amps?!

Well I can't seem to find any reviews or information on the amp anywhere, so I was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about it? What's it like? Good for my style of playing?

Here's a copied thread I posted the other day, just for anyone that can help me.

Thanks in advance!

My band have recently started gigging again, and once again I am faced with the problem of having no amplifier. When we used to gig a few years back, I borrowed a Marshall solid state amp which wasn't actually too bad, but now he's sold it and I don't have anything to use for gigs. So I'm in a sticky situation, and I need help choosing a decent amp within my price range.

I have about £400 to spend and I am willing to go used. I play a lot of classic rock (GNR) blues (Hendrix), standard rock (Foo Fighters, Audioslave ect.) RATM (Really do not know what to class that as) and a little bit of metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden ect.)

I really do need my cleans because although I play a fair amount of rock and occasionally metal, I absolutely LOVE the sound you can achieve with a strat or a tele, and my bands sound consists of a lot of quiet, mellow cleans, but I also want a nice distortion channel instead of having to buy pedals. Built in effects aren't really needed, but if they're any good then I'll go for it.

I'm looking for a tube amp, but I know I won't get much for £400, so if there's a decent ss, then I'd be willing to take a look.

I need something loud enough for gigs in front of about 200 - 300 people. If it helps at all I own a Fender Classic Player 50's Strat (plays like a dream) and a Digitech RP350 (I know, don't laugh, my band does a lot of covers and it is a lot easier to save patches on that instead of having to ratchet everything back and forth to get the correct sound for each song) Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Hehe.

That amp is really old.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I already guessed that. They are no longer made, and I can only seem to find this one on the internet.
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

there's a website somewhere where someone looks at one in great detail, full of technical specs and stuff. according to wikipedia they got good reviews, tring asking the same question on the seymour duncan forums
http://www.thomann.de/gb/bugera_v55.htm

Try looking for these things, I own the head version and truly great fender-like cleans. Real vox-y.
Guitars:
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Les Paul Bfg
Acoustics
Ibanez GSR200FM Bass
Amps:
Bugera V55HD w/avatar cab
Fender Champ 600 with 4 ohm cab
70s traynor 200w head with 2 9x8 cabs for bass

Yeah they made them in '80s/'90s
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
For the money you have the v55 is probably the only tube amp you're going to find with the power you need unless you mic it up. I actually use a v22 mic'ed up live myself. They aren't bad amps, they aren't as good as a Marshall (obviously) but they will get you by. I'm running about $700 worth of pedals into mine to make my tone though, that might be something you should also take into consideration.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
I think its honestly worth a shot. With interchangable modules, a built in power attenuator, and generally good features it looks like it would be worth it. You could always swap out the speaker too since i'm sure its old.

A two channel amp with modules sounds like alot of fun.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
These amps are extremely good. Jeff Beck used one, IIRC. Great bang for your buck, especially if you get creative with the modules.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Thanks for the help guys, I've got to choose from these three amps now, unfortunately I can't try any of them out, so I have to order online and hope for the best, I can always send it back if anything goes wrong.

Vox Valvetronix - 120watt
http://www.gtrmusic.co.uk/vox-vt120-valvetronix-120watt-combo-p-233.html

Bugera v55 - 55watt
http://www.thomann.de/gb/bugera_v55.htm

Seymour Duncan combo - 100watt
http://www.hollywood-music.co.uk/products.php?product=Seymour-Duncan-Convertible-100-Guitar-Combo-%252d-Valve-100W-%252d-Pre%252downed

Which one should I go for? From the reviews I've read, the Bugera is a really nice amp, so I'm leaning towards that.
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

Hands down the Seymour Duncan.

If you like amp modeling, go with the Vox.

Personally though I think the Bugera would be more suitable between the two, and most likely better tone coming from it too.

But hold the phone. The seymour duncan amp sports a pair of EL34's in the power section. That's really cool. It also comes with 5 modules stock to play along with. Furthermore with the attenuator you can dial it down to 5 watts for home use and up to 100 watts for shows, which is really useful. On top of that, a pentode/triode switch to go from 100 down to 60 watts at a flick of the switch. And variable damping, which you can use the controls the SPEAKER'S output. This thing is a beast.

To me, when you start really getting into the features, the Seymour Duncan clearly wins.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
I've taken the Vox out of the equation, and now it's just between the Seymour Duncan and the Bugera. Thanks for all the info.
Quote by Jason

Hehe.

The Seymour Duncan is far better than the Bugera. Not even the same league.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
That's a great price on the SD amp. Somebody doesn't know what they've got. It will wipe the floor with the V55. The Bugera sounds decent, but this one isn't even close.
^ Absolutly. My friend (read: like 50) owns one of these, and it's an amazing sound haha
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by Roc8995
That's a great price on the SD amp. Somebody doesn't know what they've got. It will wipe the floor with the V55. The Bugera sounds decent, but this one isn't even close.

+1

I've never tried one (or the bugera) but those seymour duncan convertibles have a pretty good rep. Do some google searching.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've done some research, and I've decided I'm going to take a risk and go for the Seymour Duncan. Thanks for all the helps guys, I'll write a review and post what I think of it up here when I've got it. Thanks again.
Quote by Jason

Hehe.

good luck
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?