Page 1 of 2
not really sure if this should go here, but i thought it would get a better response hear than in the pit...

Basically, i'm wondering why all the effect types (flange, delay, phaser etc.) seem to have been developed in the late 60s/70s and since them nothing new seems to have emerged, although obviously designs are a lot more refined and improved. My question is why the invention of new effects seems to have stopped around 30-40 years ago, it seems improbable that they've already made all possible good sounding effect types and with digital we should be able to do more surely
The effects they made in the 60's and 70's are still very popular today, so they don't need to make more. The only thing they are improving effects wise is mfx units.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
There aren't any more because you haven't invented any. Virtually all effects were invented by somebody saying "hmm i wonder what it would sound like if i did this". Dream it up, build it up, and 30 years from now we'll be buying your pedal
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
You're not content with Chorus. Phaser, Vibrato, Flange, Delay, Reverb, Rotary Speaker, Ring Modulation, Guitar Synths, Tremolo, Wah, Envelope Filters, High Pass Filters, Low Pass Filters, Lo-Fi filters, MIDI pickups, Vocoders, Talk Boxes, Tape Echo, Loopers, Pitch Shifters, Detuners, Harmonizers, Compressors, Distortions, Overdrives, and fuzz?

I may have missed a couple, but there are loads of different effects out there.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by darkwolf291
You're not content with Chorus. Phaser, Vibrato, Flange, Delay, Reverb, Rotary Speaker, Ring Modulation, Guitar Synths, Tremolo, Wah, Envelope Filters, High Pass Filters, Low Pass Filters, Lo-Fi filters, MIDI pickups, Vocoders, Talk Boxes, Tape Echo, Loopers, Pitch Shifters, Detuners, Harmonizers, and Tuners?

Most of those fit into just a few categories: Tone, Gain, Modulation, Pitch, and Timing. Tone would include EQs along with filters/wah pedals (even the vocoder, in a roundabout way). Gain is pretty obvious. Modulation includes phasing, chorus, vibrato, tremolo, etc. Pitch includes whammy effects, harmonization, detuning, and ring modulation. Timing includes delay and reverb.

Other stuff, like oscillating fuzzes and the like, is present. But I feel like most of what's happened is represented by those categories. Also, there's only so much you can do to a waveform that makes sense in the music we play. The most variety comes in the form of musical timbres and distortion/fuzz/clipping/crushing effects.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
AFAIK, they took every possible type of diode/transistor/resistor/what-have-you and used them in every way possible to come up with every sound possible. All we have left are mutations of these possible sounds.

I would eat my hat if someone came up with an entirely new effect, rather than just a modified version of an already extant one. Luckily for me, my head is so big that I don't own any hats.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by stradivari310
Most of those fit into just a few categories: Tone, Gain, Modulation, Pitch, and Timing. Tone would include EQs along with filters/wah pedals (even the vocoder, in a roundabout way). Gain is pretty obvious. Modulation includes phasing, chorus, vibrato, tremolo, etc. Pitch includes whammy effects, harmonization, detuning, and ring modulation. Timing includes delay and reverb.

Other stuff, like oscillating fuzzes and the like, is present. But I feel like most of what's happened is represented by those categories. Also, there's only so much you can do to a waveform that makes sense in the music we play. The most variety comes in the form of musical timbres and distortion/fuzz/clipping/crushing effects.

This.
I was just listing individual effect types.
TS, There are effects out there that, when combined, can make your guitar sound like Cthulhu's unholy farts. What the hell else could you want?
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Jun 21, 2011,
There needs to be a Rain Stick effect that creates major feedback and producing a rain-like effect.

EDIT: ^ Above post, Rain Stick.
you're a stone fox
Quote by darkwolf291
You're not content with Chorus. Phaser, Vibrato, Flange, Delay, Reverb, Rotary Speaker, Ring Modulation, Guitar Synths, Tremolo, Wah, Envelope Filters, High Pass Filters, Low Pass Filters, Lo-Fi filters, MIDI pickups, Vocoders, Talk Boxes, Tape Echo, Loopers, Pitch Shifters, Detuners, Harmonizers, Compressors, Distortions, Overdrives, and fuzz?

...EBows and other sustainers, vocoders, noise gates and envelope followers, arpeggiators, signal boosters, EQ's, auto-tuning effects...

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by darkwolf291
White Noise Generator

Dammit.
you're a stone fox
Quote by darkwolf291
I guess you could make one with the specific white noise you want and have knobs to tweak the values and shit, but it's just easier when live or recording to just take an audio track of rain and insert and just sample it live.

Yeah I know, but with individual notes, not just a rain sound. Like a phase/flanger where you can hear the actual notes, but it still has a rain sound.
you're a stone fox
Quote by darkwolf291
Then yeah, make a white noise pedal.
But have them able to switch between White, Brown, and Pink.
Brown noise with slight oscillation sounds like waves on the beach.

I wish I knew about stuff so I could make it.
you're a stone fox
Quote by darkwolf291
I may look into it.
How perfect would wave sounds be for surf?

Pick slides would sound amazing.
you're a stone fox
Like others have mentioned, most of the sounds that guitarist have been itching to explore have had an effect made for it and the current wave of effects are just rehashes or alternate permutations of these developed effects.

In some cases, some guitarists or effect designers will put 1 and 1 together and come out with something unique/different (Eventide's Shimmer and Blackhole reverbs, ZVex's Machine and Ringtone). However these effects then to be either:

a. For a specific application and not entirely versatile; or
b. Further innovations on existing effects (Eventide's Shimmer is effective a harmonising of reverb trails)

Chances are, if you want to see something new, then you're gonna need a whole lotta freaky mind-trips to really hear something so far out in order to develop that effect.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
A lot of the new effects are dynamic modulations of the basics. Seeker wah and Pitch shifted delays are examples. I was playing with my buddy's new Timebender the other night and was impressed with all of the cool FX I was getting. You can play something really simple and it comes out complex.
Quote by kutless999
The effects they made in the 60's and 70's are still very popular today, so they don't need to make more. The only thing they are improving effects wise is mfx units.

Then what about Bitcrushers, ring modulators, stompbox reverse echo. Didn't have them in 72
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
they had rin modulators by '72.

it looks like there is a bit of a blurry line between 'new effects' and 'new effects types'. i didn't think we ever stopped coming out with new effects, but some people are claiming that any 'new' effect will just fall into an old category (like the zvex machine just falling into a 'distortion pedal' category).

imo the effects we have are a manifestation of the technology we have access to. effects like delays are a good example of this, are old tape machines, transistor bucket brigade, and digital memory delays really the same effect? or are they actually different because they use different technology, sound quite different, and allow for different applications?

is my red witch fuzz god II with a sputter knob and onboard oscillator actually a new effect? or is it just on new version of an old one?

btw, if you really want to see 'new' effects, it seems to be in the DSP world where the interesting stuff is happening: plug-ins that replace anything with a 'shaker beat' (much like you 'rain maker' mentioned before), boss's slicer pedal, amp modeling, etc. but are these new effects? or just old ideas implemented in new ways? is there a difference?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by teh_goon
not really sure if this should go here, but i thought it would get a better response hear than in the pit...

Basically, i'm wondering why all the effect types (flange, delay, phaser etc.) seem to have been developed in the late 60s/70s and since them nothing new seems to have emerged, although obviously designs are a lot more refined and improved. My question is why the invention of new effects seems to have stopped around 30-40 years ago, it seems improbable that they've already made all possible good sounding effect types and with digital we should be able to do more surely

why don't you come up with some new ones
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
im trying to think of what else you could possibly do. there are thousands of different drives, modulations, reverbs, delays, pitch effects, and lal the other types mentioned. there are guitar synths that make your guitar sound like pretty much any instrument. there are amp models, cab models, and mic models to further shape your tone. there are variax guitars that model the wood and pickups of a guitar. there are bitcrusher effects. i just dont know what you could really want to do that hasnt been done. i think you could make literally any sound with what is available now haha.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Saint78
There needs to be a Rain Stick effect that creates major feedback and producing a rain-like effect.

EDIT: ^ Above post, Rain Stick.

Delay pedal with a slapback delay and the feedback all the way up.
Quote by AxSilentxLine

What is that? I've never seen that before.
Is it out yet? Is it a distortion pedal?
Enhancers/Exciters
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Chorus/flange/phase/echo are all delay based effects, caused by out of phase repeats (ms of delay) and LFOs, regeneration and shit to modulate. Your not going to be able to find a modulation effect that nobody has ever found using delay like that.

As for fuzz and dirt, you cant just jam 20 ics and transistors into a box and hope for tonez. The best ways to clip and distort the signal have allready been found, why change what isnt broken? Modern distortions/fuzz are usually just the builders own take on another pedal with a few tweaks. Everything is a tubescreamer or a fuzz face.

All of these modern, "new" effects tend to sound like a pig squeeling and random bullshit which is totally impractical for anything other than sounding like a SNES (Looking at you, devi, zvex, DBA etc..) Theyre all modded fuzz faces anyway.

Old school ftw, GE tranniess.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Yeah. I'm selling mine. You want it?
$65 special deal.

Sorry, I just bought the rp355. What does it sound like though?
Quote by AxSilentxLine

probably the funniest thing i've seen on here in quite a long time.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Page 1 of 2