Hey I'm getting an orange thunder 30, which is my first tube amp. I'm just wondering which tubes are the same as
El84s (power tube)
ECC83s (preamp)
And
ECC81 (in the fx loop)
Also, which brand of tubes would you suggest for the power and preamp ones for maiden/queensryche type metal?
Thanks, I'm a complete noob when it comes to tubes.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
That's why there's a searchbar, and a FAQ's thread
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Despite the sarcasm, that was actually helpful.
Quote by Cracked.com
EL84s... are EL84s

ECC81 are just a different name for a 12AT7

ECC83 are just a different name for a 12AX7

Also, preamp and power tubes will give a different character to your amp, however, the change in character is subtle at best.

Think of an amp like a cake, and the power tube as icing.

If you get a chocolate amp, it will always taste like a chocolate amp. If you get a vanilla amp, it will always taste like a vanilla amp. Changing your icing flavour is not gonna change your chocolate amp into a swiss roll.

However, if you get fresh cream tubes, it will give a slight subtle change in taste to your vanilla amp, than if you used butter cream tubes. The taste of your amp will always be a vanilla amp, however, the fresh cream will be lighter, and the butter cream will be smoother.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Ah. That explains tubes much clearer. Thanks ragingkitty
Quote by Cracked.com
Where has that cake analogy been all my life?

I've been trying to tell people tube changes don't turn your 5150 into a rectifier for years, and always just got back "tubes make sound! New tubes make new sound! I'll buy Mesa branded tubes for my fender!"
Two other questions: can you swap el84s for el34s and can you recommend any smooth-sounding 12ax7s? Thanks. And Roc, I know how you feel.
Quote by Cracked.com
Quote by Roc8995

I've been trying to tell people tube changes don't turn your 5150 into a rectifier for years, and always just got back "tubes make sound! New tubes make new sound! I'll buy Mesa branded tubes for my fender!"

Haha... I don't know Roc... feel free to use it tho. I just got the idea when I was hungry for some cake
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by dtmaiden
Two other questions: can you swap el84s for el34s and can you recommend any smooth-sounding 12ax7s? Thanks. And Roc, I know how you feel.

Eh... I think its not possible... the 84 can handle much more power than the 34s. I'm not entirely sure... maybe a bias adjustment can fix that... tho I seriously doubt it.

Smooth sounding? Sounds like Mullards... try to get some mid-gainy ones. IMO JJs will be too dark. You can try EHX as well, but they tend to be a little hit and miss in terms of smoothness for me.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Roc8995

Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by ragingkitty
Eh... I think its not possible... the 84 can handle much more power than the 34s. I'm not entirely sure... maybe a bias adjustment can fix that... tho I seriously doubt it.

Smooth sounding? Sounds like Mullards... try to get some mid-gainy ones. IMO JJs will be too dark. You can try EHX as well, but they tend to be a little hit and miss in terms of smoothness for me.

no. you can only use el84s.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Ok thanks, it's just that I preferred the sound of el34s, but not enough to not get the orange. And I'll look for mullard tubes then, at least I know where to start now. Thanks guys.
Quote by Cracked.com
Yup, 84s only. EL84 amps don't like to share.

Smooth preamp tubes = JJs. They're going to get super dark in an Orange though, you might want to grab a Tung-sol to try in V1 in case all JJs get too muddy.