I've been playing guitar for about three years and I'm really good as what I've been told. I want to learn viola. Would that be a good choice? I'm 6ft and I'm not sure what size to get. I know all about music theory. Is there any big differences between viola and guitar other then violas being smaller, using a bow to play, and holding it differently?
i really hope that by viola you mean viola da gamba (viol). if not, then...

the biggest difference is that guitar is cool but viola is silly. cello and violin are cooler.

in all seriousness (though that first bit was serious), if you do learn viola, just get a regular size. the tuning is different (fifths) and it's fretless.

but seriously, cello, violin, viol, erhu, kokyu, gusle, morin khuur, any of them are better.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
But I feel like violin is to piercing to the ear when listening to it. And would cello really be better? I'm not sure though. Is cello tuned differently as well?
Quote by theogonia777

the biggest difference is that guitar is cool but viola is silly. cello and violin are cooler.

Don't listen to this guy. John Cale played viola in The Velvet Underground, and The Velvet Underground are the very essence of cool.
Quote by JayKay12
But I feel like violin is to piercing to the ear when listening to it. And would cello really be better? I'm not sure though. Is cello tuned differently as well?

nah, viola is fine. though violin, viola, octave violin, and cello all having similar tuning. they are all tuned to fifths. viola is a fifth below violin, octave violin is an octave below violin (i know, right?), and cello is an octave below viola.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
nah, viola is fine. though violin, viola, octave violin, and cello all having similar tuning. they are all tuned to fifths. viola is a fifth below violin, octave violin is an octave below violin (i know, right?), and cello is an octave below viola.

alright. so while playing guitar, on the low E string and A string i could play something like

A--------------------7--9--10-------7--9--10
E---------------0-0---0--0---0-8-8--8--8----8

for viola that would be different right? i mean, i know instead of E and A it will be C and G. but the octave won't be seven notes up on the string above correct?
the octave is 5 notes up the next string.

so the notes on the G string (lol) would be 5,7,8 instead of 7,9,10. though viola can't go that low, since the lowest string is equal to the third fret of the A string on a guitar.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by theogonia777
the octave is 5 notes up the next string.

okay thanks for being helpful.
Quote by theogonia777

in all seriousness (though that first bit was serious), if you do learn viola, just get a regular size. the tuning is different (fifths) and it's fretless.

but seriously, cello, violin, viol, erhu, kokyu, gusle, morin khuur, any of them are better.

do you have any reason to suggest violin and cello are superior, or are you just hopping on that old bandwagon? because most people tend to grow out of that one when they hit puberty
Quote by neidnarb11890
Don't listen to this guy. John Cale played viola in The Velvet Underground, and The Velvet Underground are the very essence of cool.

this. and dave swarbrick although he's not so much cool as just plain ****ing awesome
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Jun 21, 2011,