I've been playing guitar for about three years and I'm really good as what I've been told. I want to learn viola. Would that be a good choice? I'm 6ft and I'm not sure what size to get. I know all about music theory. Is there any big differences between viola and guitar other then violas being smaller, using a bow to play, and holding it differently?
Viola's use the Alto clef not the Treble Clef. As for size go to a music store that sells Viola's and they should be able to find one. It's not a matter of how tall you are, but of how long your arm is.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Yeah the viola has no frets and if you dont have a teacher it can be a pain to learn where to put your fingers. I guess everything is different the chords are not the same the scales are different the approach is totally different
Quote by JayKay12
I've been playing guitar for about three years and I'm really good as what I've been told. I want to learn viola. Would that be a good choice? I'm 6ft and I'm not sure what size to get. I know all about music theory. Is there any big differences between viola and guitar other then violas being smaller, using a bow to play, and holding it differently?

The lack of frets and bowing technique will give you a lot of trouble to begin with, you'll need to work very hard on bowing correctly and do even more work on your ears to make sure you're always in tune.

If you're going to do this... it'll be a long time before you get any good sounds out of the instrument but that's the way it goes.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You might as well discount the fact that you play guitar as trust me, it's not going to help you one bit - if you're expecting your abilities on the guitar will somehow make learning viola easier then you're in for a nasty shock, if anything it's going to make it harder because you'll be instinctively wanting to use techniques that work on guitar but will be useless on the viola.

In short they're completely different instruments, nothing you've done on guitar is going to carry over.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I did the reverse, started on viola in 4th grade and guitar in 8th grade. I also thought the viola experience would help... maybe a tiny bit for finger strength but not anywhere near what I thought. I would suggest some lessons. Bowing, hand position, vibrato, etc. are going to take some work. Strings are tuned differently, C-G-D-A instead of EADGBE.

It will take time to learn to play both but it can be done (I did for 4 years before dropping viola, still play guitar). You might try the cello, I think the finger spacing will be a little closer to guitar (unless you always play around the 17th-22nd frets ) Cello has the same tuning as viola, violin is up a 4th? (GDAE)
Last edited by black_box at Jun 21, 2011,