I'm looking to get a Fuzz Face but I don't know the differences between them and which are regarded as the "best".

I'm looking for...
-About $100, maxing out around $150 (no Sunface for me)
-Warm tone with some good low end
-Fuzzy as all hell
-Something that would work great for rhythm guitar
-Something that performs well in band/stage situations

A few other questions...
-Whats the difference between germanium and silicon transistors pertaining to a Fuzz Face? I've heard germanium is warmer from some people, but others say the other way around.
-Are there any Fuzz Faces with a tone knob?

What are the tonal differences between these two?
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/jhf1-jimi-hendrix-fuzz-face
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/jdf2-fuzz-face

I know the red one is germanium and blue is silicon. Does that mean the red one is slightly deeper?

Any help with this mess of a post would be appreciated
tone knobs suck power, you need power to bash your way through a mix. Sadly the fuzz face isnt a great tool to cut thru the mix.
I would suggest the blue silicon fuzz face, its the cheepest, since most of the higher grade fuzz faces are above 150usd.
That said the blue silicon fuzz face is pretty damn epic if you ask me, great tones.

If you can troll tgp, wait for a foxrox hot silicon, great pedal it is, and they go for 130 max
Quote by stykerwolf
tone knobs suck power, you need power to bash your way through a mix. Sadly the fuzz face isnt a great tool to cut thru the mix.
I would suggest the blue silicon fuzz face, its the cheepest, since most of the higher grade fuzz faces are above 150usd.
That said the blue silicon fuzz face is pretty damn epic if you ask me, great tones.

If you can troll tgp, wait for a foxrox hot silicon, great pedal it is, and they go for 130 max

Yeah, I've heard that Fuzz Faces aren't very good in band settings... but Hendrix made it work somehow.

I'm thinking about either going for the Red Germanium Dallas Arbiter Dunlop Fuzzface ($100) one or paying an extra $60 for the MJM London Fuzz (Germanium Fuzzface clone) . Does anyone know if its worth the $60 tone-wise?

http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-fuzz-pedals-c-602_7/mjm-london-fuzz-pedal-p-456

Sounds pretty decent, but there's no quality demos of the Dunlop Dallas Arbiter to compare it to.

Also, what is TGP?
Fuzz face is great for making single note riffs sound huge. Probably not the best for rhythm guitar, chords tend to sound muddy through a fuzz face, unless you're only doing power chords. You can clean up using the volume knob on your guitar, but it's still not the best pedal for that. I've never seen a fuzz face with a tone knob, that's not to say they don't exist though
Quote by danleary
Fuzz face is great for making single note riffs sound huge. Probably not the best for rhythm guitar, chords tend to sound muddy through a fuzz face, unless you're only doing power chords. You can clean up using the volume knob on your guitar, but it's still not the best pedal for that. I've never seen a fuzz face with a tone knob, that's not to say they don't exist though

What type of Fuzz would be recommend for rhythm/chords? Something more gated I presume?
erm. No one cares to think about jimis band, he had a jazz drumer and a rock bassist. Not the loudest pair. That and he ran several 100 watt amps full whack with a crowd that didnt care of ear damage.

The MJM fuzz is good, its germanium, its going to sound hendrixy (smooth, bloomy, big, warm) as opposed to the blue dunlop (think gilmour)
if you ask me, get the blue dunlop
See if you can get one of those old big box germanium MJM London fuzz. I have one and I like it better than my Sunface with NKT-275s. While the Sunface is brilliant sometimes, the MJM is much more consistent.

I have a Monsterpiece NPN Jr. for sale, which is a brilliant silicon Fuzz Face with BC109s. Check the link in my sig. If you're in the US it's probably not worth it though.
Have a look at the channel fuzz reviewed well on pro guitar shop. It copes far better with rhythm playing than the fuzz face in my opinion but still gives thick single notes at higher settings. If you're still looking for a fuzz face though I would suggest germanium, the tone is nicer but it does vary more from piece to piece so try a few, my friend rushed into it and his sounded awful!!
The Tonebender is essentially a Fuzz face with a tone control and a buffer The MJM Britbender is a good one.

Look into the Earthquaker Devices Dream Crusher, they're pretty good for the money, as is their Tone Reaper (a Tonebender style fuzz)