So I am not sure wich head I should go for.
Would use for home use and jams with friends (Theres a drummers)

Choice #1 : Marshall Class 5 Head
Choice #2 : Trinity 18 Watt plexi Head (Marshall Clone)

Any of them would provide a good hendrix tone right? Considering im playing with a USA Fender Strat.

Wich of the 2 would work the best with my London Germanium fuzz? Or with a classic Fuzz Face?

18 watts too loud to crank for home use?
I know both of them needs to be at high volumes to really shine, to get that plexi tone but would a class 5 cranked be loud enough with a drummer? And wouldn't the 18 Watt plexi too loud?

If anybody owned a Marshall Class 5, do you like it? Im talking about the newer model, where there isn't any rattling.

Keep in mind, im looking for a late hendrix tone, not heavy distortion, clean with some overdrive and a fuzz to round it up.

Thanks
Yeah, I think so. Marshall class 5 > Plexi thing.

But anyway, have you looked into the JCA20h?
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Quote by Tim the Rocker
Yeah, I think so. Marshall class 5 > Plexi thing.

But anyway, have you looked into the JCA20h?

And for the Marshall Class 5, do you recommend a combo or Head + Cab?
Didn't read anything about the JCA20h.

Im looking for a plexi'esque sound, since its what hendrix used. And the only low wattage amp I could find was the Class 5. Theres some metroamp but they're out of my budget.
Quote by JAHellraiser
Clone! Get the clone!

Damn, I was going to go for the Marshall Class 5.

Its even now .... 1 - 1
Need more opinions!

I can't try the amps, they're not in stock
I'd say get the clone.
If you want a Plexi sound, get an amp based on a Plexi.
No experience save youtube as far as Marshall is concerned, but IIRC the Class 5 doesnt sound that similar to a Plexi.
And 18W wont be that much of a volume bump over 5. Both are still hell loud, though the 18 might sound more defined and less compressed at high volume.
i would get the clone. the extra wattage would be useful for those jams.

I haven't tried the class 5 though.

IME 18 watts is too loud to crank at home. 5 watts is too, but it's just-about-doable, whereas 18 watts is pushing it.

is there an option of power scaling or VVR? i have an 18 watt clone with VVR and it works well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i would get the clone. the extra wattage would be useful for those jams.

I haven't tried the class 5 though.

IME 18 watts is too loud to crank at home. 5 watts is too, but it's just-about-doable, whereas 18 watts is pushing it.

is there an option of power scaling or VVR? i have an 18 watt clone with VVR and it works well.

I currently play a cranked vox AC4TV at home, its 4watt. It sure is loud but its bearable.

Can I get a good cab for around 300$ for the plexi?
I heard 2x12 Avatar are pretty good, how much they cost?
^ yep, exactly (regarding the 4 watts thing), that's how i'd put it too. The 18 watter is in a similar ballpark, but just that bit louder so the "bearable" turns into "not sure if bearable or not". LOL. depends on your playing situation, too.

i'm not sure about the US, but certainly in europe you should be able to get a pretty good cab for around $300. I'm guessing the US is no different, but I haven't tried things like avatar. Traynor has a couple of cabs loaded with greenbacks which might be worth considering too (but I haven't tried them either).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
18 watt all day long. The Class 5 is a practice amp. The 18 watt is for grown-ups.

As for cabs, you can get a good cab for 300. The most bang for your buck is probably an Avatar G112 with a Greenback or a G12H30, which is $300 brand new. You can get more for your money used, of course, so you can get a decent 2x12 or a great 1x12 for that. Stay away from 4x12s and don't be afraid to get a 1x12 with a good speaker instead of a 2x12 with some crap ones.
i resent the accusation that i'm a grown-up.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If I'd go with the marshall Class 5.
Would It be better to get the head and cab or the Combo?

When I bought my Ac4tv Combo, I tried the head and cab and both sounded really similar.

Marshall Class 5 Combo is probly around 500$ while the Plexi Head is 700 alone, thats also something I consider. I wish I could try the marshall class 5 to see how it sounds... I guess I'll search more youtube videos tonight
Quote by Dave_Mc
i resent the accusation that i'm a grown-up.

The government lets you drive, too. Just because you use adult tools doesn't mean you are one

As for the combo/stack, I don't recall them sounding any different. Whichever one is cheaper, I guess. If you're looking at the Class 5, why not the Egnater Tweaker? It's a much better clean platform and actually sounds good turned up.
Quote by Roc8995
The government lets you drive, too. Just because you use adult tools doesn't mean you are one

As for the combo/stack, I don't recall them sounding any different. Whichever one is cheaper, I guess. If you're looking at the Class 5, why not the Egnater Tweaker? It's a much better clean platform and actually sounds good turned up.

The egnater can get a good ''plexi'' tone? Thats what im after.
Im tempted to get the Marshall Class 5 because when I was searching for a good low wattage plexi amp, people would point me the class 5 as a good alternative.
The Class 5 doesn't even have a master volume. It's a low wattage Marshall, but it doesn't sound like a loud Plexi until it's too loud for at-home playing.

The Egnater has a ton of good tones (Not called the Tweaker for nothing!) and a Plexi is one of them. The master volume is good so you can get it to break up at reasonable volumes as well.
Quote by Roc8995
The Class 5 doesn't even have a master volume. It's a low wattage Marshall, but it doesn't sound like a Plexi until it's too loud for at-home playing.

The Egnater has a ton of good tones (Not called the Tweaker for nothing!) and a Plexi is one of them.

Checking them right now, prices sounds alright, around 600$ for the combo.
I would use the Class 5 mainly for jams with friends, so I WILL crank it to the plexi sounds

I think the plexi clone would be too loud for my needs. I know It would be the perfect amp for an Hendrix tone but having to crank a 18 watt to 11o'clock `for it is a nono.

I'll check out the Egnater tonight when im at home.
Its an option
Quote by Roc8995

hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the 18watter isn't a cranked plexi tone.

but 2 el84s will get you closer then the 1.

plexi tone is loud.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
the 18watter isn't a cranked plexi tone.

but 2 el84s will get you closer then the 1.

plexi tone is loud.

What would get me the closer to a plexi tone?
18 watt 50% volume or 5 watt max everything?

Checking out the Egnater Tweaker, not sure if I like it
are there any 18 watt clones which have power scaling or VVR? that'd be the answer, best of both worlds. Or better yet a plexi clone with power scaling or VVR.

though that might take you well over budget. LOL.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yea abit over my budget :P
What i'll do is go to a guitar shop and try out all the tube amps and if I don't like any I'll buy a marshall class 5 or something else online. The class 5 seems to have the perfect volume for me. ''Usable'' cranked at home and able to keep up with a drummer. My 4watt vox was kinda able to keep it with the drummer the other time, I'd just like a few more watts.
Quote by AcousticMirror
the class 5 and the ac4 are the same watts...

I've been told that the Class 5 is much more louder even tho its only 1 more watt.
Thats why I'd like to try it out first... find out myself if its true
It's not and double superlatives won't change that.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
1 more watt is not going to make it any louder. I dont think class 5s even have a plexi tone when maxed out
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by forsaknazrael
5 watts isn't enough to keep with a drummer, IMO. My 18W can do it, but just barely.

Yeah i don't undertand when people say they jam with a drummer with 5W amps. i have a conservatively rated 15W amp and i basically put it on full blast to sit nicely in the mix.
So hard to choose :/
I'll test a few amps at the guitar shop in my town and if none fits my need i'll prob go with the plexi clone. Dunno what to do lol
Wait a moment -

do you want Hendrix's live sound, or his studio sound? He used different amps for both.

Live he used Marshalls cause they provided all the volume he needed.
In the studio he used Fenders and Voxes mainly. Plus several pedals.
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Quote by joe_k
Yeah i don't undertand when people say they jam with a drummer with 5W amps. i have a conservatively rated 15W amp and i basically put it on full blast to sit nicely in the mix.

I managed just barely with a Blackheart Little Giant once. Had to tell the drummer to pretend he was trying to play in a library though

5 watt amps are actually kinda fun to play with live if you have an iso cab and a PA system. Lets you crank up fo realz and manage the volume a lot better.
Last edited by Seref at Jun 21, 2011,
the 18 watt is a lot closer to a plexi tone than a class 5.

damn close for a el84 amp, it's just more usable.

i good fuzz in front wouldn't hurt for hendrix.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Dave_Mc
are there any 18 watt clones which have power scaling or VVR? that'd be the answer, best of both worlds. Or better yet a plexi clone with power scaling or VVR.

though that might take you well over budget. LOL.

The Valvepower 18W clone has VVR.:

http://www.valvepower.co.uk/18w_amp.htm
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i love the 18w clone i built, i have a master volume on it as well as just the basic tone/vol, and you can get it pretty quiet, and at loud levels quite nasty.

its a killer amp though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i love the 18w clone i built, i have a master volume on it as well as just the basic tone/vol, and you can get it pretty quiet, and at loud levels quite nasty.

its a killer amp though.

It's only got one gain stage. Where is your MV, is it post PI?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's only got one gain stage. Where is your MV, is it post PI?

hmmmmmmmmmm never thought about that... here is the link to the layout, i am eager to learn.

turretboards.com their site is stupid because you can't post a direct link, somehow the url doesn't change page by page.

but go to amp kits > marshall style >18 watts > layout.

they dont have a actual schematic but this is the layout.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Yes, it's post PI. If you look at it, the MV goes between the grids of the two output tubes. So it just shunts some signal away. Those two lines are out of phase.
Hmm, interesting. Might have to try that. Too late for the latest amp but I could test it on that one and if it works maybe I'll put one on the next one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Yes, it's post PI. If you look at it, the MV goes between the grids of the two output tubes. So it just shunts some signal away. Those two lines are out of phase.
Hmm, interesting. Might have to try that. Too late for the latest amp but I could test it on that one and if it works maybe I'll put one on the next one.

cool, thanks for the education on that, as i am still by far in the learning process.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Cathbard
The Valvepower 18W clone has VVR.:

http://www.valvepower.co.uk/18w_amp.htm

yeah, that's the one i have, though i don't know how much international postage might be (plus i don't know if they make a 110V version for the US)...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?