Would I be able to get tones like from Sweet Child o Mine on an HSS? I love the smooth lead neck tones I can get on a Humbucker, but I love strats for their feel/quality and sound (for the most part). But I dont want to give up that smooth tone if I wouldnt be able to get that from a strat..
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
I'd think something like a cool rails in the neck would be able to put you in the right ballpark. It's not a 24.75" scale guitar with a slab of mahogany for the body, but a humbucker in the neck position should get you reasonably close.
^ yeah

or if you want to keep the stock single coils, maybe try wiring the neck and middle pickup in series? again won't be exact (or maybe even close), but it'll be closer than not bothering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I really love those tones for certain things, so maybe I should just go for a different kind of guitar. Not really in the market yet, but just checking.
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
You're not going to get a Slash-like tone from a Strat, period. That kind of sound is about a thick body, a set mahogany neck, the shorter scale length and a fixed bridge. Even if you glues down the neck of a Strat, blocked the bridge and put a humbucker in the neck it will still sound significantly brighter and snappier than that kind of classic/hard rock neck tone.

Not to mention that to get that sort of tone you NEED to have a mid-gain all-tube amp with a british voicing. That sort of tone is 40% amp, 30% guitar wood and construction, 20% your playing and only about 10% the pickups.

If you want to get that smooth tone out of a Strat you'll need to fit a conversion neck to it which will cost more than the guitar itself probably. Or you could fit thicker strings and then tune down. .12s in C# Standard on a 25.5" scale guitar would have about the same smoothness in their tone as .10s in E/Eb Standard on a 24.75" scale guitar. You'll also need to block the bridge off permanently by filling the trem route up with wood to loose the biting spring tone of the bridge.

You'll definitely want to put a full size humbucker in there. To compensate for the brighter toned wood the body and neck are made of, the bolt-on construction and the thinner body you'll need to use a more overwound pickup than usual. Alnico II wound to a DC of about 9k-10k should do it although that will also get real muddy with any gain. Mounting it direct to the body wood instead of the pickguard may help a little. If you can't fit a full humbucker in the routing then a mini humbucker, firebird pickup or single coil sized bucker would do but you'd need to pick a really, really hot and thick one with alnico magnets which is rare since most use ceramic magnets. A Cool Rails won't be thick enough. A Hot Rails will be hard to keep clear and the top-end will be too shrill. The DiMarzio Tone Zone S might work too since it's like a Hot Rails with less treble but it also has more bass so that might just become a muddy mess.