I just graduated and I have about 1200$ USD in grad money. I still have one other family member who typically gives me a lot of cash so I expect to probably have a higher budget but let's just work with what I have for now.

I'm really into heavy, thrash, and OLDSCHOOl death metal.

Some bands that I really like are Annihilator, Trivium, Judas Priest, Death, Megadeth, Slayer, Cynic, Machine Head, Pantera, and guys like Paul Gilbert and Marty Friedman.

I really want to have a heavy sound but also have versatility available to me to some degree.

If I go with an amp all I have to say is I'd probably only just want it to be a tube amp. I've already listed the bands I admire and whatnot.

If anybody needs any more info please ask!

So any suggestions on what I should do?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
inb4 6505/5150
EDIT: I doubt youll be able to find an amp in that budget that can do all the artists you listed perfectly since about half are old school British tone while the other half are br00tz Yank tone.

Whats your location?

If you can stretch your budget to USD2K or so, and are willing to go used, you can probably get hold of a Mesa Roadking S1.

Its got two power sections, so youll easily be able to get in the ball park for just about every band listed. But as I said, no amp will do all those tones perfectly, since you mentioned a very wide palette of tones.

If you must insist on getting every tone just right and are willing to let go of the "I must have t00bz" thing, you could get a second hand Axe Fx/Eleven Rack and an AA poweramp of some sort. Both are probably the closest (short of the as yet untested Axe II) digital modelling has come to the "real thing".

We still need location.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jun 21, 2011,
Id look long and hard at Egnater
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by stykerwolf
id reccomand engl, ive played some models and they can cop out a reeaaaally wide range of sounds.

The only thing is the price. 1200 isn't even enough to get a new 100W Fireball.

Is it easy to find ENGL's in good condition used?

I've also heard about amps like the Powerball having serious issues cutting through the mix in a live situation. How are the other models?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
The only thing is the price. 1200 isn't even enough to get a new 100W Fireball.

Is it easy to find ENGL's in good condition used?

I've also heard about amps like the Powerball having serious issues cutting through the mix in a live situation. How are the other models?

If you want ENGL, you could get an E530 easily.

Read my earlier post- location will be VERY helpful.
EDIT: Noticed you have a 6262.
What about it do you not like? Cause a 6262 should be able to hit the tones you want quite easily.
Please dont say you want Chuck's tone. Just get hold of a Metalzone. Please dont spend a grand trying to get his or Dimebag's tone.
I like that you said old school death metal and Death was #4 on your list AFTER Trivium, Judas Priest and followed by Megadeth and Slayer.

lulz
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
inb4 6505/5150
EDIT: I doubt youll be able to find an amp in that budget that can do all the artists you listed perfectly since about half are old school British tone while the other half are br00tz Yank tone.

Whats your location?

If you can stretch your budget to USD2K or so, and are willing to go used, you can probably get hold of a Mesa Roadking S1.

Its got two power sections, so youll easily be able to get in the ball park for just about every band listed. But as I said, no amp will do all those tones perfectly, since you mentioned a very wide palette of tones.

If you must insist on getting every tone just right and are willing to let go of the "I must have t00bz" thing, you could get a second hand Axe Fx/Eleven Rack and an AA poweramp of some sort. Both are probably the closest (short of the as yet untested Axe II) digital modelling has come to the "real thing".

We still need location.

I really doubt I could stretch to 2k. 1500-1600USD at the most probably.

I should've been more specific though.

Per the bands I listed, there are some bands where I admire specific things in their sound.

Annihilator, Trivium, Judas Priest, Death, Megadeth, Slayer, Cynic, Machine Head, Pantera, and guys like Paul Gilbert and Marty Friedman.

Guys like Annihilator, Trivium, and Machine head, I admire most those guys' tones for their entire spectrum. Although I really admire MH's tone in terms of the gain/heaviness they're able to crank out.

Maybe I don't like most of Death's tone as a whole but I do like the harshness and voicing of it.

Megadeth and Slayer, well we can just say I enjoy their British voice i suppose.

I really love Cynic's jazzy, poppy cleans

Both Paul Gilbert and Marty Friedman's lead/solo tones are an aspiration of mine as well. Imo they really sing.

And of course who doesn't like Dime's sound lol.

I hope that made sense and I don't sound like a boob.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I like that you said old school death metal and Death was #4 on your list AFTER Trivium, Judas Priest and followed by Megadeth and Slayer.

lulz

I'm not insinuating any of those bands OTHER than Death are death metal (because they aren't). I'm just saying the amp HAS to be able to do those 3 genres I mentioned.

The bands I mentioned are just some of my favorites in specific. Tone that I admire. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quote by GS LEAD 5
If you want ENGL, you could get an E530 easily.

Read my earlier post- location will be VERY helpful.
EDIT: Noticed you have a 6262.
What about it do you not like? Cause a 6262 should be able to hit the tones you want quite easily.
Please dont say you want Chuck's tone. Just get hold of a Metalzone. Please dont spend a grand trying to get his or Dimebag's tone.

Not at all pal.

I feel like my Bugera does a lot of what I want pretty well already. However, I DO feel at times the sound is a little "primal" and not refined enough...ehhhhh it definetely suits BR00TAL but not singy in some respects. Aside from all that I'm looking to treat myself to my first half stack and I don't feel like getting the exact same amp in amp head form. I might as well get something different.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Last edited by TheBodomBullet at Jun 21, 2011,
Since you already have the 6262 (a 6505 clone) I'd suggest looking into something with more of a british sound. Blackstar, orange and blackheart amps should be good places to start.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I'm not insinuating any of those bands OTHER than Death are death metal (because they aren't). I'm just saying the amp HAS to be able to do those 3 genres I mentioned.

The bands I mentioned are just some of my favorites in specific. Tone that I admire. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Not at all pal.

I feel like my Bugera does a lot of what I want pretty well already. However, I DO feel at times the sound is a little "primal" and not refined enough...ehhhhh it definetely suits BR00TAL but not singy in some respects. Aside from all that I'm looking to treat myself to my first half stack and I don't feel like getting the exact same amp in amp head form. I might as well get something different.

In short, you want br00tz in a slightly more refined package.
Am I right?

And location dude!!!
Not that certain of your thoughts when it comes to modeling amps, but I tried out the Marshall JMD102 last week, sat only for 2 hours or so, but I have a feeling you should be able to dial in just about any kind of tone with that amp. Managed to get real sweet cleans, brutal, yet still the singing type of lead sound, and so on... Not sure of the price on it though.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
In short, you want br00tz in a slightly more refined package.
Am I right?

And location dude!!!

Essentially. More refined, more versatile. Maybe slightly different voicing to boot as well.

I'm on the east coast man. USA obviously lol.

Quote by Kalo Hanaka
Not that certain of your thoughts when it comes to modeling amps, but I tried out the Marshall JMD102 last week, sat only for 2 hours or so, but I have a feeling you should be able to dial in just about any kind of tone with that amp. Managed to get real sweet cleans, brutal, yet still the singing type of lead sound, and so on... Not sure of the price on it though.

I'm not too fond of modeling amps at all. ALTHOUGH I don't completely turn my back to them because imo the H&K Coreblade and Fractal Audio Axe FX are both very nice pieces of weaponry lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Last edited by TheBodomBullet at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Essentially. More refined, more versatile. Maybe slightly different voicing to boot as well.

I'm on the east coast man. USA obviously lol.

I'm not too fond of modeling amps at all. ALTHOUGH I don't completely turn my back to them because imo the H&K Coreblade and Fractal Audio Axe FX are both very nice pieces of weaponry lol.

Im saving up for an Axe. Gonna take a lot more time

And what do you mean by east coast? I need to know what Craiglist you come under.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-IV-1x12-85-watt-Guitar-Amp-Combo-/150620522106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2311aec67a

Refines br00tz with liquid singing solos?
A Mark comes to my mind
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Im saving up for an Axe. Gonna take a lot more time

And what do you mean by east coast? I need to know what Craiglist you come under.

New York dude.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by GS LEAD 5
inb4 6505/5150

Whats your location?

If you must insist on getting every tone just right and are willing to let go of the "I must have t00bz" thing, you could get a second hand Axe FxEleven Rack and an AA poweramp of some sort. Both are probably the closest (short of the as yet untested Axe II) digital modelling has come to the "real thing".

We still need location.

This is a great option, AxeFx will give you all the tones you want and more, but if you really just want an amp, you should try some of the Marshall (not MG) stacks and combos that are around $1000-$1200. This one's a little bit above your budget, but it's a tube combo.
http://www.amazon.com/Marshall-JVM215C-1x12-Combo-Black/dp/B001KO4664/ref=sr_1_45?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1308686539&sr=1-45
you're a stone fox
Quote by GS LEAD 5
The site has a 3 month waiting list

Oh, I didn't realize, sorry.
you're a stone fox
If I had money I would get one, but I dont so I wont. I've heard demos and stuff and it sounds pretty sweet.
you're a stone fox
It shouldnt be hard to find what you want used in New York I'd suggest the Axe FX as well actually, you could just use your bugera as a power amp for it eliminating the need to buy a power amp
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Saint78
If I had money I would get one, but I dont so I wont. I've heard demos and stuff and it sounds pretty sweet.

Im saving up gonna take some time though and I'll have to pay an arm and a leg in import taxes.
Quote by gwitersnamps
Id look long and hard at Egnater

I wouldn't look long at hard at Egnater until the Armageddon is out.

Believe me, I love my Renegade, and I can get some heavy, crushing gain out of it...but I wouldn't call it a metal amp by any stretch of the imagination...even though I play metal with it.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
The site has a 3 month waiting list

Screw the lolstack. I'm bustin out the eekstack.

-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Btw guys I just wanted to kind ask this too:

Would I be better off buying new speakers (which...are..still stock...no flame)? How big of a difference would that make and which ones should I look into if so?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Btw guys I just wanted to kind ask this too:

Would I be better off buying new speakers (which...are..still stock...no flame)? How big of a difference would that make and which ones should I look into if so?

Look at fearedse's vids of the 6262/6260. He runs a head into a Mesa Roadster cab. That should give you an idea.

What you should do IMO, is get something like an Eleven Rack/HD Pro and a better cab. That way your Bug's sound improves and at the same time you get great sounding models which satisfy your desire for variety.
Used ENGL Blackmore, would cover the old-schoolness of it while still having the gain for some of the more modern stuff. Just a thought
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
(Soon to be gone) Peavey Bandit 112
Soldano Hot Rod 50+ (1993)
Framus 212 (V30's)
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Please dont say you want Chuck's tone. Just get hold of a Metalzone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zguCFjHyVeM&feature=related

I really have no understanding how you people can possibly say that is bad tone.

TS: Look at Peavey's 6534. It's the 6505 with EL34's in the power section, so it will give you a British sound needed for bands like older Metallica, Paul Gilbert, etc., while still being heavy enough for death metal of all types, and it is exactly $1200.

EDIT:

Quote by TheBodomBullet
A huge difference! Load that thing with some Celestion V30's then swap the tubes with some EL34's and flip that little switch that Bugeras have as a feature (but from what I heard, STOLE from Mesa, not unusual), and then BAM: 6534 for half the price.

You can then take that $800 and go spend it on a used Jackson RR3 or a shitload of pedals.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Jun 24, 2011,
Peavey Butcher. IMO wayyyy more versatile than a 6505 or 6534
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by IronMaiden76
Peavey Butcher. IMO wayyyy more versatile than a 6505 or 6534
While I agree with you on the versatility statement, I don't think it would suit the needs of the TS as he wants to play heavier genres of metal, which I don't believe the Butcher is capable of. Correct me if I'm wrong, as I've never had first hand experience with one.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
While I agree with you on the versatility statement, I don't think it would suit the needs of the TS as he wants to play heavier genres of metal, which I don't believe the Butcher is capable of. Correct me if I'm wrong, as I've never had first hand experience with one.

the original Butcher was a JCM 800 clone, the newer one sounds very similar to a 3120, to me at least
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

You want yourself a Randall RM50 or RM100....
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
You want yourself a Randall RM50 or RM100....

Ah, damn, I totally forgot about the RM series
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699