The video isn't available for me...

aww man I love strong tensions

What song is it?
he doesn't really "resolve" it, so much as just stops and goes back to a major key bit.

to me this song is an excellent embodiment of constant tension and release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTBqVx3v92U
Quote by 505088K
The video isn't available for me...

aww man I love strong tensions

What song is it?

It's the minneapolis version of Taurus Bulba by Steve Vai not in the studio you might search on youtube Taurus Bulba steve vai minneapolis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdZucJT_9_M
Listen from 4:00 then you'll know the context.
Or just listen to the epic context.
I don't want to start a modal assault here but the song is in E phrygian dominant.
But to prevent the modal assault it's E minor with accidentals.
listen to only in dreams by weezer
Quote by Kilty Boxers
So i suppose 2+2=4 is a stereotype as well?

Hooray For Canada.
...or the build-up in Just

liam, serious question here...do you listen to anything that isn't Steve Vai?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
...or the build-up in Just

liam, serious question here...do you listen to anything that isn't Steve Vai?

Yes but over half the time to Steve Vai.
I alsto listen to Kiss AC/DC Van Halen, Joe Satriani, Stevie Ray etc.
I listen to Vai how people used to listen to Jimi.
i cant really apreciate constant shredding guys. maybe its just me but i dont feel the same why about an insane lick if there is 2 insane licks on either side of it. you need some down time with a little chaotic interlude... so your quite ready and willing for the beautiful part to release the tension... anyone know what i mean? its like running through a jungle as fast as you can and then leaping off a giant waterfall into a pool of deep water... YOU KNOW!??!? lol
Quote by siR_miLLs
i cant really apreciate constant shredding guys. maybe its just me but i dont feel the same why about an insane lick if there is 2 insane licks on either side of it. you need some down time with a little chaotic interlude... so your quite ready and willing for the beautiful part to release the tension... anyone know what i mean? its like running through a jungle as fast as you can and then leaping off a giant waterfall into a pool of deep water... YOU KNOW!??!? lol

Vai chooses his fast parts at the right time.
Have you ever compared Yngwie Malmsteen to Vai?
You will most likely see Malmsteen shred the scales up and down so fast that they don't seem scale-like.
Vai doesn't do that.
90% Of the time shredding is scale in patterns.
EDIT:Just read the first 2 lines before placing this comment. Sorry!
Last edited by liampje at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by liampje
Vai chooses his fast parts at the right time.
Have you ever compared Yngwie Malmsteen to Vai?
You will most likely see Malmsteen shred the scales up and down so fast that they don't seem scale-like.
Vai doesn't do that.
90% Of the time shredding is scale in patterns.

You're listening to the wrong Malmsteen songs.
Quote by griffRG7321
You're listening to the wrong Malmsteen songs.

If you're playing fast like Yngwie or Gilbert the most of the time when you want to get more than 4 notes you're likely to divide a scale in patterns like 1 2 3 2 3 4 3 4 5 etc.
And just play that as fast as you can.
Take Paul gilbert scarified intro for example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE
I would actually consider that a cadenza moving into a new major key. Still a sweet vid!
"Forget the rules. If it sounds good, it is good."
-Eddie Van Halen
Quote by liampje
If you're playing fast like Yngwie or Gilbert the most of the time when you want to get more than 4 notes you're likely to divide a scale in patterns like 1 2 3 2 3 4 3 4 5 etc.
And just play that as fast as you can.
Take Paul gilbert scarified intro for example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE

I'm not debating that, I'm saying if you think all Malmsteen does is shred scales up and down then you are missing out on a great deal of his playing.
Quote by griffRG7321
I'm not debating that, I'm saying if you think all Malmsteen does is shred scales up and down then you are missing out on a great deal of his playing.

You will most likely see Malmsteen shred the scales up and down say again that I said all he does pl0x.
Meh Vai's best work was with David Lee Roth. Absolutely great work on the rhythm parts and awesome solos to boot.

The rest of his stuff just seems like he's on a quest to me more "clever" or "alternative", alienating a lot of average listeners and non-guitarists. Some of his melody lines are quite strange, especially compared to Satriani or Paul Gilbert. Even some Malmsteen songs have better melodies (in my opinion) than the average Vai song, Trilogy Suite immediately comes to mind.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Meh Vai's best work was with David Lee Roth. Absolutely great work on the rhythm parts and awesome solos to boot.

This, along with Passion & Warfare and Alien Love Secrets.

Quote by AlanHB
The rest of his stuff just seems like he's on a quest to me more "clever" or "alternative", alienating a lot of average listeners and non-guitarists. Some of his melody lines are quite strange, especially compared to Satriani or Paul Gilbert. Even some Malmsteen songs have better melodies (in my opinion) than the average Vai song, Trilogy Suite immediately comes to mind.

+1, it seems the older he gets, the more he's going down the Zappa/crazy/experimental road.

Malmsteen's actual songs are awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU4fT4Xsb8w
Quote by griffRG7321
This, along with Passion & Warfare and Alien Love Secrets.

+1, it seems the older he gets, the more he's going down the Zappa/crazy/experimental road.

Malmsteen's actual songs are awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU4fT4Xsb8w

Yes he's experimenting more but isn't that better then just play the same shit all day?
BTW I love Malmsteens works like dragonfly one of my favourites.
Quote by siR_miLLs

I feel the same way, I feel as though speed can be great when tossed here and there when it's called for, but I also think the spaces between runs/notes and changing the speed dramatically here and there to suite the section of solo just makes it way more interesting to listen to.

I've never looked at david gilmour as being a guitar god in the same sense as i would vai or satriani (as in technique was etc) but my god does he know how to put together a versatile/great sounding solo/doesn't need to rely purely on speed to make it sound great/impressive.
Quote by -TM-
I feel the same way, I feel as though speed can be great when tossed here and there when it's called for, but I also think the spaces between runs/notes and changing the speed dramatically here and there to suite the section of solo just makes it way more interesting to listen to.

I've never looked at david gilmour as being a guitar god in the same sense as i would vai or satriani (as in technique was etc) but my god does he know how to put together a versatile/great sounding solo/doesn't need to rely purely on speed to make it sound great/impressive.

yeah that's true, and history will remember gilmour in a better light than vai and other speed dudes, you look at the classical canon of say paganini and that vs stuff like whatever chopin and the like (even though chopin could shred like a bad ass). i'm the exact same, a lot of it just seems unnecessary to me, give me an emotional solo before speed any day.