Hey y'all.

I have this Visual Sound Route 66 which is OD and Compressor. I wanted a Jekyll and Hyde but it was too expensive. So I only use the OD channel.

But hey I bough the pedal, so why not try to use the compressor...
Is it a good compressor on the Rte 66 ? Or is it a cheap one ?

I don't understand it. What does it do exactly ? How do you use it properly ?

Thanks!
A compressor basically makes all the notes the same volume. In other words, no matter how hard or soft you play a string, it will always be the same volume. I think that's right.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
A compressor basically makes all the notes the same volume. In other words, no matter how hard or soft you play a string, it will always be the same volume. I think that's right.

if you set it to hard compress everything, then yes..

basically, a compressor will make the quieter notes louder, and make the louder notes quieter. you can use it to improve your sustain as well, by making the quieter notes louder. use it however you see fit. if you want lots of dynamics, then don't use one, but if you play metal for example, you may want an even volume with few dynamics, in which case you would compress quite heavily.
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
if you set it to hard compress everything, then yes..

basically, a compressor will make the quieter notes louder, and make the louder notes quieter. you can use it to improve your sustain as well, by making the quieter notes louder. use it however you see fit. if you want lots of dynamics, then don't use one, but if you play metal for example, you may want an even volume with few dynamics, in which case you would compress quite heavily.

Wait, if you were doing some tapping stuff on the High E string, would a compressor make the notes come out clearer?
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
Wait, if you were doing some tapping stuff on the High E string, would a compressor make the notes come out clearer?

Not really, but it would be louder.
Quote by Saint78

not clearer, but a more even volume.
getting the notes clear while tapping is more to do with your technique than your tone.
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by kutless999
Not really, but it would be louder.

Okay, that's kinda what meant, so I think I might get one new.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
Okay, that's kinda what meant, so I think I might get one new.

I don't know if you really need one. I don't think it makes that much of a difference.
Quote by kutless999
I don't know if you really need one. I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

Hmmm, I'll try one out first.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
Hmmm, I'll try one out first.

Good idea..
OD and distortion already do some compression to your tone, how much depends on how much drive you have. If you are playing heavily distorted or OD it doesn't make too much sense using a compessor unless MAYBE, sometimes, at mixing. But if you are using OD for a 'crunch' only or a cleaner tone, then compression is really useful specially when soloing.
I wish everyone...
Love, Peace.... and f**ing ROCK N' ROLL, baby! :HEADBANG:

DanteRecording Channel <- CLICK IT!
Quote by Danilo#7
OD and distortion already do some compression to your tone, how much depends on how much drive you have. If you are playing heavily distorted or OD it doesn't make too much sense using a compessor unless MAYBE, sometimes, at mixing. But if you are using OD for a 'crunch' only or a cleaner tone, then compression is really useful specially when soloing.

I play mostly The Strokes (if your familiar with them) so yes I'm exactly like you say, I don't use a lot of drive just enough to fit the song. But when I use the compressor it just sounds weird and to "metalic" if you know what I mean.
Compressors can also be used as an overdrive to get more gain out of an amp. I think Johnny Lang uses a Route 66 with his amp in this way.

I use them to make my Strat more jangly and to make a Big Muff sound better.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by Saint78

A compressor and the high gain settings used for tapping and pinch harmonics is counter productive.

Tapping is all about dynamic response and getting all kinds of cool sounding harmonics...

Basically a compressor will kill the over tones and harmonics and dynamic response your looking for when you're tapping
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
The only time I use compression is when I'm recording. Rarely as a pedal in front of the sound, although I was in a band that had quite a few clean passages and used one then to even things out.

Other than that I find it handy to assist in mixing multiple guitar tracks together. Especially if you have various recorded tracks playing the same basic part. Pan, tweak and add a little compression and you can get a larger sound without too many frequencies bleeding into each other and muddying things up. It takes a little experimentation to get right and shouldn't be over used - but half the fun is in the learning process.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.