Page 1 of 2
Today i was at a music festival, and there was this awesome band playing live. The guitar tone was beyond amazing, seriously one of the best tones i ever heard live, and better than most studio songs. SERIOUSLY it was THAT good -.- So i assumed this guy had the most awesome amp ever, some 10,000$ tube head with a bunch of giant cabs. When i looked closely it was a marshall MG 50
WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!
HOW? after all of the burn MGs crap ive seen on these threads?
now i seriously want one
EXPLAIN
Last edited by rkk94 at Jun 21, 2011,
Maybe he had really expensive effects pedals or really nice pickups.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
you're tone deaf?
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G

A few questions:
Was that the only guitarist in the band?
Was his tone dirty or clean?
Did you see a pedalboard?
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
You have shit taste in tone.

/thread.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by RetroGunslinger
you're tone deaf?

Trust me after two years on UG, i have become one of those tone freaks.
Maybe he was using other amps and those were just on stage? I JUST CANT UNDERSTAND!
Quote by kumamilesbear

A few questions:
Was that the only guitarist in the band?
Was his tone dirty or clean?
Did you see a pedalboard?

Only guitarist, it was that overdriven creamy tone, he had a huge pedalboard, but i only noticed the wah which was awesome.
The dude was in his 40s, im guessing he's really experienced
Quote by greeny23
2 years on UG doesn't mean tone freak..

do you have a spider?

OFCOURSE NOT
That is the shittiest amp ever-.-
i use laneys for band practice, not the tubes though cuz we rent the rehearsal space and those are the only amps they have. LV i think
Quote by rkk94
Maybe he was using other amps and those were just on stage? I JUST CANT UNDERSTAND!

You know nothing of tone.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by rkk94
Only guitarist, it was that overdriven creamy tone, he had a huge pedalboard, but i only noticed the wah which was awesome.

If his board was huge, I'd say that the goodness of his tone came from his pedals.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
He might've been using a good cab, half of the MG's crappiness comes from the series' speakers/cabs. Add a good pedal or two...

Or maybe you're just kind of a n00b.
Maybe you mistook the amp head?
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by kumamilesbear
If his board was huge, I'd say that the goodness of his tone came from his pedals.

This. He was probably just running the MG through the clean channel and handling everything (EQ, distortion, effects) from his pedals. There's not much to it. It probably wouldn't have changed had you swapped the MG for any other amp with a functioning speaker, he's just getting the juice from the pedals.

Trust me, one of the things UG agrees upon and can be trusted on is that the tone of MGs suck.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Quote by Garci
This. He was probably just running the MG through the clean channel and handling everything (EQ, distortion, effects) from his pedals. There's not much to it. It probably wouldn't have changed had you swapped the MG for any other amp with a functioning speaker, he's just getting the juice from the pedals.

Trust me, one of the things UG agrees upon and can be trusted on is that the tone of MGs suck.

this is what i do with my 15 watt ibanez amp and it sounds pretty good for a 15 watter
Quote by rkk94

Couple things. First of all, a decent amount of tone comes from the player and guitar. Not everything comes from the amp. Secondly, if he had a monster pedal board, most of his tone might just be coming from his pedals than from his amp. With enough effects, you can pretty much negate the effect of any part of your gear. Matt Belamy for instance has most of his tone coming from his effects instead of from his guitar.

Another thing is that at a loud concert, tone changes. You might be caught up in the concert and remember it as better. The sound guy might be great and able to cut out some of the harshness of the overdrive and make it sound a lot better. The venue's shape changes how sound is being spread out. There are a lot of factors.

Just because someone uses a crappy amp and can work decent tone out of it doesn't mean it's not a crappy amp. A good amp is one where you don't have to use a bucket of effects to make sound good. A good amp should sound good with guitar -> amp and it should be able to do lots of different tones well. Just cause one guy can pull one good tone out of a bad amp doesn't change the fact that it's a bad amp.
Last edited by Warrior47 at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by Warrior47
Couple things. First of all, a decent amount of tone comes from the player and guitar. Not everything comes from the amp. Secondly, if he had a monster pedal board, most of his tone might just be coming from his pedals than from his amp. With enough effects, you can pretty much negate the effect of any part of your gear. Matt Belamy for instance has most of his tone coming from his effects instead of from his guitar.

Another thing is that at a loud concert, tone changes. You might be caught up in the concert and remember it as better. The sound guy might be great and able to cut out some of the harshness of the overdrive and make it sound a lot better. The venue's shape changes how sound is being spread out. There are a lot of factors.

Just because someone uses a crappy amp and can work decent tone out of it doesn't mean it's not a crappy amp. A good amp is one where you don't have to use a bucket of effects to make sound good. A good amp should sound good with guitar -> amp and it should be able to do lots of different tones well. Just cause one guy can pull one good tone out of a bad amp doesn't change the fact that it's a bad amp.

Thank you
now i can sleep in peace
Quote by Warrior47

I was with you up until there.

There's nothing wrong with a one trick pony if you only need it to do one trick. My Twin does beautiful cleans, but is 120W, so it's totally impractical as an overdriven amp, so I get my dirt from pedals, rendering it a moot point.

If I'm in a punk band, why would I need my JCM800 (because if you're in a punk band, you need a JCM800) to do anything other than balls out OD?

Quote by bogg808

Wayne Static has fantastic live sound. He uses an MG with a Line 6. He gets a real rad sound.
Live you can pretty much get away with an amp for cleans and some good processing.
I always thought UG's gripe with the MG was not tone, but the price. For what you get, they are pricey (it says marshall on it). I played through an MG250DFX and it wasn't that bad. I did spend some time playing with it to get a good tone, but its there.

Hell there was a dude in R&R a few years ago that recorded with one. It sounded great for some thrash metal.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Last edited by Death-Speak at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by mcraddict81592

There's nothing wrong with a one trick pony if you only need it to do one trick. My Twin does beautiful cleans, but is 120W, so it's totally impractical as an overdriven amp, so I get my dirt from pedals, rendering it a moot point.

If I'm in a punk band, why would I need my JCM800 (because if you're in a punk band, you need a JCM800) to do anything other than balls out OD?

agreed.
I have a bassman and a twin for cleans and an Orange AD30 for overdriven tones, and they're all very good.

However, I still think the MG's not that bad =p
Develop an ear for tone, finish puberty, come back and then realize that the tone you were actually hearing was complete shit.

Then come back and admit it to us and say that we are all right.
ive heard people use the mg and get decent tones out of it as well. my buddy used one at practice till he got a egnater tourmaster. it wasnt too bad for what it was.
my gripe with them is they are waaayyy overpriced for their build and sound quality.

plus you must remember this is UG if its not one of the following
MESA RECTO
6505/5150
ORANGE anything
it sucks and will not suit anyone's needs.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by iheartgun
ive heard people use the mg and get decent tones out of it as well. my buddy used one at practice till he got a egnater tourmaster. it wasnt too bad for what it was.
my gripe with them is they are waaayyy overpriced for their build and sound quality.

plus you must remember this is UG if its not one of the following
MESA RECTO
6505/5150
ORANGE anything
it sucks and will not suit anyone's needs.

lol. i have noticed this too.
Here's the guy from R&R I was talking about. I believe this was recorded with a Marshall MG250DFX. The same amp I had borrowed for a while.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Richard777/
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
MGs are a bit Marmite. I had one for a while and managed to get reasonable sounds, but nothing dazzling. I would agree that at it's price point there are far better options out there. Are you certain it was MG and not MA?

The fact the pedal board was "huge" would indicate that there was some processing going on. It may even have been running through the line out into decent processing and emulation software rendering the fact that it's a piece of crap a moot point as all it's doing is serving as a conduit.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
UG knows dildos about amp tones and fingers
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
They're okay for bedroom stuff, but when you're running it loud unmic'd, that's where the amp falls on it's face.

When I started my band, I was using an MG50, but I found the distortion too grungy and bought an AVT100X. This served me well for 3 years, now my DSL100 has taken over, sounds great and you can really feel the power behind it.
Quote by mcraddict81592

But 'cleans' are not one tone. There are lots of types of cleans and they vary in sound. There are also mostly clean tones with a bit of overdrive. My point was that a good amp should be able to have more than one setting in which it sounds good. You shouldn't have to get everything perfect for it to sound decent.
I say it was a mixture of the guy using a monster pedal board and the sound guy's mixing. I can get a NICE live tone with some pedals going into a well dialed in clean tone from my valvetronix amp once the band all comes in and it's mixed appropriately.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I gigged an MG250DFX for years. I never had any complaints.

When you play live, the only people who care about your tone are the ones not worth bothering with.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by rkk94

Ha...haha...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

The point I'm trying to make, is that your statement is ridiculous. There are people here who have been around since 2003, 2004 who wouldn't know good tone if it was coming out of John Petrucci's amp.

The amount of time you've been registered on a WEBSITE has nothing to do with your taste in tone.

Either you are bad at identifying amps, or you have a terrible idea of what good tone is...and it's probably the latter.

It's fine. Your ears will mature. MG does not have good tone.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
MG looks like every marshall amp. Looks like DSL, TSL, hell, even the JVMs.

So... TS.... Your opinion differs from those on the internet? Holy SHIT!
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
MG looks like every marshall amp. Looks like DSL, TSL, hell, even the JVMs.

So... TS.... Your opinion differs from those on the internet? Holy SHIT!

You lose.

MG's have knobs on the top of the head's front face. Everything else has them on the bottom.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
You lose.

MG's have knobs on the top of the head's front face. Everything else has them on the bottom.

MG heads, but not combo's. Although, I guess they would be using heads at a show. I haven't had the displeasure of spending enough time with an MG to discern it from the rest. So yeah, I guess I "lose". I'm just being silly.

I was imagining them from the viewpoint of a person in a huge show I guess. You can look and see black and gold and assume it's the MG.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Jun 21, 2011,
Page 1 of 2