Back in March, I ordered a Gibson Tribute 60s Goldtop LP from Musiciansfriend. It was supposed to arrive in early may.
Then, they changed the shipping date to early june.
Then, they changed the shipping date to june 25th.
By early may, they changed the shipping date to July 2nd, and it stayed that way until 2 days ago, when it became September 23rd.

Now, does anyone know if I should give up on any hope of ever receiving it? I'm keeping my backorder just in case, but I'm starting to give up on any hope...
Has anyone had this kind of experience?
Here in the UK they're only just starting to come into shops properly. It's a limited release anyway and just a couple came in to begin with and it's only now that a more steady stream of them are being shipped in. I expect it's the same world wide. Very high demand, very low supply and production on Gibsons is slow.
Its not that bad, I bought a t-shirt from America 5 years ago and Im still waiting on it arriving
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
i ordered a schecter omen extreme 6fr and the shipping date was changed from one week after i bought it to a month or two after purchase. i ended up "returning" it to get a different instrument.
what they said is that for foreign made instruments (korea japan etc.) only send shipments either every 6 or 12 months (cant remember). so if theyre out of stock you might have to wait a while
threaten them by saying that if you don't get it in a week, you'll buy it from SamAsh.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by Darkflame
^it's made in the USA though...

Same concept, though. They make so many guitars and ship them out to so many places at a given time. It probably has to do with the amount of pre-orders received from other shops, and Gibson not knowing exactly when they'll get them all shipped out.

It also depends on how many are made per day. I would guess that might vary a little since they're constructed by hand and machine. Maybe a guy was sick one day, and a machine wasn't working quite right one day.

i would nag a little but ask i would rather wait for a perfect guitar than rush a flawed one.
I would call them and ask to be put through to somebody higher up the chain of command (often, if you ask to be "escalated", customer service will automatically bump you up to a manager of sorts) and explain the situation to them. I suspect they won't be able to rectify the situation entirely, in the sense that you get one in a day, but they may offer you a discount or some other compensation for your wait (I did this with my Mesa through L&M, got through to the VP of PR and got everything sorted out mighty fast). your spending alot of money, you will get some customer service
Quote by Darkflame

Now, does anyone know if I should give up on any hope of ever receiving it? I'm keeping my backorder just in case, but I'm starting to give up on any hope...
Has anyone had this kind of experience?

Yes one time with Musicians Friend ... Then THEY cancelled the orderon me telling me that they weren't sure about arrival. Wasted a lot of time.
GUITARS:
PRS Custom 24 (Black Slate 10 top w/birds)
ESP E-II Horizon NT-III (RDB)
ESP Eclipse II - Snow White

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
This reminds me of the time they made a typo on the price of 10 packs of string. They made it uber-cheap and they cancelled my order because I ordered it. XD
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Sorry to hear your goldtop is delayed. I ordered my goldtop standard from Musician's Friend and their customer support was great. The first one they sent me had some issues (UPS probably dropkicked it) and I got a replacement in 5 days at no extra cost that was perfect. They are a pretty good place to deal with.
Ya. I have never had trouble with MF's. an i order from there all the time when i need pick's or string's etc. But I would suggest what the guy up there said call an tell them you want to speak to some one higher that's alot of money just sitting there an you do not have your product.
the goldtops sold out fast. people picked up as many as possible and flipped them on the bay for $$$$.

with such a high demand for them you would think gib$on would start churning them out left and right.

everybody is sold out of them.

i'd wait it out honestly. if you put the order in that early, i'm sure somewhere there is one coming with your name on it. but in the meantime, stay in contact with them about it which it sounds like you are doing. the squeaky wheel does get the grease in the retail world, but be nice enough not to piss anyone off.

good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
call and compain. thats what i did when i waited three months beyond my tweaker's date a year ago, and snagged it for $275 instead of the $400 price. i figured that was worth the wait.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by OliOsbourne
threaten them by saying that if you don't get it in a week, you'll buy it from SamAsh.

I would imagine that they'd send it if it were available. Not sending it is a pain for them and everyone else involved. It could result in bad reviews, or a return.. lost money either way.

But I guess a threat wouldn't hurt the OP's chances.

These guitars are fantastic (especially for the price). Hope you get it soon! What seems unfair is that I've sold a couple of the Goldtops at the shop I work at, and we have a few more in stock.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
its really not that hard to talk them down 20%.

first when you call go straight to a supervisor, maybe even another person higher up

what i do is say that i am in the need of a new guitar, and i need it for _________, and i have always been impressed by your customer service, and i feel that all of the delays are really inconvient for me. if this is like what the future may hold from you guys, i may take my business elsewhere.

thats it. 15% off.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
cancel the order at MF and order at another store. supplies you way faster. for instance take a trip to holland and take one with you on the way home, i've seen several goldtop LP's 60's tribute ones in stores here, sadly i dont have money leftover..
Thanks for the replies everyone =)
However, I doubt I'll call them to negotiate and all, I know it's not their fault, and I'm in Canada so I don't feel like calling in the states.
However, going somewhere else is not an option, because it's already been sold out for a long time... Even in the actual stores around here, they all sold out instantly, all they have left are a couple SGs. They didn't even have the time to call me lol
Calling MF or changing stores won't make Gibson make guitars any faster. I think you've got the right idea trying to be patient. It sucks that they said they'd be back in stock a lot sooner, but demand for these has been crazy.

I usually just google image search things that I'm waiting for, with the filter on large images only. Not sure if this will make you feel better or worse, but it sure is fun.
http://www.google.com/search?q=les+paul+goldtop+p90&hl=en&biw=1045&bih=666&gbv=2&tbm=isch&source=lnt&tbs=isz:l&sa=X&ei=We0BTsmGIITLgQetqZncDQ&ved=0CA8QpwUoAQ
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Its not that bad, I bought a t-shirt from America 5 years ago and Im still waiting on it arriving

Hahaha that is a crap load of time to have to wait.
Ok Huge Update!!!!

darkflame check your PM's. i'm about to send you some info that may speed your process.

i stopped by my local sam ash today, and they had not one, but three goldtop 60's studios. they just arrived yesterday.

so gibson has released more goldies, it's just that sam ash got them and not MF.

so i ask, "what can you do on one?". i get a reply, "i'm under strict order from corp not to discount the goldtops". so i ask, "i need a speaker cable and strings..."
not to incriminate the potentially guilty, let's juts leave it at that.

Makes sense that MF would get theirs last, I'd think Gibson would prefer more of these hanging in stores than being shipped out of warehouses.

Plus MF is dead last after Guitar center for getting choice on Gibsons. They won't send them back like the smaller guys will, so they get last pick/shipment from what I hear.
Quote by Roc8995
Makes sense that MF would get theirs last, I'd think Gibson would prefer more of these hanging in stores than being shipped out of warehouses.

Plus MF is dead last after Guitar center for getting choice on Gibsons. They won't send them back like the smaller guys will, so they get last pick/shipment from what I hear.

logically i see your answer correct about Gibson wantingthem on walls, but when i got my tweaker, it was another three or so weeks until GC had them available in store.

so

but i could be wrong.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Gibson doesn't sell Tweakers, and Egnater doesn't sell Les Pauls, so I don't see what the relevance of that is. I'm sure each company does it differently.

Plus GC and MF are the same company so if they got a shipment in, I'd presume they would fill existing orders before putting floor models out.
Everything being said...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-studio-60s-tribute-electric-guitar

It does seem legit, since they actually put more of them on sale... Maybe that september 23rd is true..

But yeah all in all, I don't even really have the money right now, the fact it was going to arrive on july 2nd pleased me because it's my birthday saturday and I'm gonna get money from everywhere, and then I'm going to work for the next 2 weeks which should help me fund it. Thank you very much Greg, you did more than I could possibly hope for without me asking and you're awesome but I think I'm going to pass and just see if I do get it or not in 3 months. It's more of a collectible anyways, really, since I already have so many guitars...
Last edited by Darkflame at Jun 22, 2011,

worth the wait

also, don't case queen this thing. it's an $850 player.

Quote by SSampuser68
Time to raise hell like an angry black woman.

HILT!

Where's Waldo?