I want to get another bass cab because my rig consists of a head that runs 700watts at 4ohms and my current cab is 600 watts at 8ohms. I'm looking at getting a cab which has the same specs as my current cab (600 watts at 8ohms). I know that the cabs combined will be 4 ohms and the head will be pushing out 700 watts at 4ohms, but would I mess anything up since the cabs are both rated at 600 watts at 8 ohms? Does the wattage of the cabs change with the impedence?
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
The wattage will be split between the cabs. If you connect them in parallel, you will be sending 350 watts to each cab and the impedance will match and you should be all good.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by Chunky_Lover
I want to get another bass cab because my rig consists of a head that runs 700watts at 4ohms and my current cab is 600 watts at 8ohms.

if this is a solid state head (@700 watts, it sounds like it is), then the heads output power lowers as a result of the higher impedance cab... this is a result of solid state amp having such a low output impedance that they don't need a transformer to match up to a cab. so as long as you observe the min load/ohm requirements (sounds like your head needs to see at least 4 ohms total) then you can hook up a higher impedance cab and the head will just put out less power.

i would guess you head puts out 400 to 500 watts @ 8 ohms. so your cab is fine actually. you could get by with spending no money at all.

Quote by Chunky_Lover
I'm looking at getting a cab which has the same specs as my current cab (600 watts at 8ohms). I know that the cabs combined will be 4 ohms and the head will be pushing out 700 watts at 4ohms, but would I mess anything up since the cabs are both rated at 600 watts at 8 ohms?

no, because both of those cabs are the same impedance and run in parallel, this means power will be distributed evenly across all the speakers.

for example, i will assume you cab is a 4x10 (total assumption). so if you get another 4x10 at 600 watts and hook them both up to your head then you'll have 8 speakers being fed 700 watts (assuming you are cranking your amp, if not they'll see less than this power output). this is split up like so

700 (watts) / 8 (speakers) = 87.5

this means each speaker is only seeing 87.5 watts, if your cab is a 4x10 rated at 600 watts then each speaker should be rated for 150 watts.

in effect, your speakers are only running a little over half their capacity. plenty of headroom there.

Quote by Chunky_Lover
Does the wattage of the cabs change with the impedence?

no, because your cabs have a set impedance, but your head has different power outpet dependent upon the cab's impedance that you plug into the amp (as mentioned before)
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 21, 2011,
My current cab is actually a 2x10 and I plan on purchasing a 1x15. But based on what you're telling me it would be alright. Thanks a lot for the help
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join