What would you say is the best tube amp that www.americanmusical.com carries for $300 or less? Right now I am looking at the Kustom V15. I need something that can handle all types of music but doesn't necessarily need modeling effects because I am buying a Boss ME-70. It's mostly just going to be a practice amp for now, maybe more later.

Another I considered was the Fender Super Champ XD, but then I read a thread with a bunch of people who had their's die on them. So it doesn't sound dependable (or is it?).

Thanks.
i hate to be that guy but A. why do you need a tube amp to practice and B. you should probably save up more than $300 to make it worth while. Unless youre looking for a combo then youre going to have to buy a cabinet of some sort which could double your price from there. if you get a combo though you dont have the option of just upgrading your head later on since you already have the cab. just saying
If you're using an ME-70, anything with an FX loop will do. That should be your primary concern. Making sure it has an FX loop. Most lower wattage amps don't have them.

Does it have to be from that site? You can easily score a used Peavey ValveKing 112 for $250.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've got 2 SCXDs. One I bought broke and fixed. They don't seem unreliable to me. The broke one has obvious visable banging damage and the fix was using my finger to reseat the flash memory chip. However, the SCXD's biggest advantage is not needing fx or pedals. It will work fine with them but I'd say you'd be better off with a straight up tube amp.

Unfortunately there isn't much in the 15 watt+ category for $300 in the new market. Jet City has a head fro $250 and a combo for $350, but I've never used one. Looking at the web site I would say the Cub 10 and the SCXD are about the only amps I would consider in your price range. Once again I've never used a Cub 10 and I'm a big fan of the SCXD.

Otherwise I would be patient and watch Craigslist as super deals on tube amps seem to pop up all the time.
Quote by jmako
i hate to be that guy but A. why do you need a tube amp to practice and B. you should probably save up more than $300 to make it worth while. Unless youre looking for a combo then youre going to have to buy a cabinet of some sort which could double your price from there. if you get a combo though you dont have the option of just upgrading your head later on since you already have the cab. just saying

I've read everywhere that modeling amps just stink compared to tube amps. I would really like to upgrade to get a tube sound for practice and maybe recording, possibly more later. I don't think I will have to upgrade the head later as long as it's all around capable. Thanks.
Quote by Offworld92
If you're using an ME-70, anything with an FX loop will do. That should be your primary concern. Making sure it has an FX loop. Most lower wattage amps don't have them.

Does it have to be from that site? You can easily score a used Peavey ValveKing 112 for $250.

I would prefer to go through that site because they allow a pay as you play plan. So the amp will be split into 3 payments (and whatever else I order with it too).

I don't know anything about FX Loop. What is it and is it needed for Pedal boards or something? I thought they work even with modeling amps?
Quote by Hunter44
save up for a VHT or a V22, or get the Kustom.

Is this the VHT you are talking about?
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-VHT-AVSP-16U-LIST

I could probably squeeze the price in with my other stuff. I see it has FX Loop. Only 6 watts but that is like a 20-30 watt modeling amp loud isn't it? Seems like it would probably be loud enough.
Quote by fly135
I've got 2 SCXDs. One I bought broke and fixed. They don't seem unreliable to me. The broke one has obvious visable banging damage and the fix was using my finger to reseat the flash memory chip. However, the SCXD's biggest advantage is not needing fx or pedals. It will work fine with them but I'd say you'd be better off with a straight up tube amp.

Unfortunately there isn't much in the 15 watt+ category for $300 in the new market. Jet City has a head fro $250 and a combo for $350, but I've never used one. Looking at the web site I would say the Cub 10 and the SCXD are about the only amps I would consider in your price range. Once again I've never used a Cub 10 and I'm a big fan of the SCXD.

Otherwise I would be patient and watch Craigslist as super deals on tube amps seem to pop up all the time.

Thanks, I am still considering the XD or even the Vibro.
sounds like you need to do some homework. you don't have to have an fx loop however they are a better method to hook up fx (except overdives and distortions and wahs ) under $300 is going to give you a pretty basic amp which probably won't be a jack of all trades amp.
You don't need a tube amp for practice. Get something digital like a Peavey Vypyr. It won't sound perfect, but hey: it's just for practice. Suck it up.
Find something used. Otherwise you're not getting much good at that price.
VHT six watt should be near top of the line for mini amps, but if you need power later on for gigs, then you need at least a V22.

The VHT will give you plenty of volume for your home, probably can get beyond loud for home use. Even my AC4 can get plenty loud, the VHT will be even louder.
I have a Kustom tube 12a, which is a hybrid and its small, but its simple and behaves the same as any tube amp and has the same tube sound, its only $100, good studio amp, but it is a bit small with only an 8 inch celestion speaker.
When you go cheap you usually sacrifice versatility and features in a tube amp. There's a reason the cheap market is dominated by solid state and modelling amps.

However, if you are dead set on it then it's pretty much the usual suspects for cheap amps--VHT Special 6, Epiphone Valve Junior, Vox AC4TV, Blackheart Killer Ant, yadda yadda.

If you go into the used market you could find a Jet City 20 combo and Blackstar HT-5 combo for under $300.

Some guy above said something about an effects loop: at this price point, finding a tube amp with an effects loop would be like finding a winning lottery ticket on the sidewalk.

That said, you don't need an effects loop for modulation and delay effects. It's better, yes, but people had been using effects pedals for 20+ years before the first effects loops were put in production amps.
Last edited by Seref at Jul 2, 2011,
I was planning on getting the lil night train half (mini?) stack. Its 2w and sounds amazing. Its $30 above your price range though and if you bought another night train head and a larger cab you could easily gig med to slightly large venues.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
I was planning on getting the lil night train half (mini?) stack. Its 2w and sounds amazing. Its $30 above your price range though and if you bought another night train head and a larger cab you could easily gig med to slightly large venues.

Meh.

TS, increase dat budget
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90