Hello there
I was simply wondering what kind of strings would work best for metal in drop C tuning for my Ibanez RG550.

Thank you

UPDATED:

After looking around 11-54 seems pretty good.

Link

Thoughts on those?
Last edited by and3nlol at Jun 22, 2011,
Brand-wise, it's down to preference. For that tuning you'd probably want gauge 11's.

Personally I like Elixir, as they last a LONG time and feel good under my fingers.
10 or 11's. I use Ernie Ball.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I use Ernie Ball Skinny Top - Heavy Bottoms. Don't know the gauges off the top of my head, but they work great for Drop C.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Also, regarding the RG550, is there something I need to know with the floyd rose tremolo? Do I need to do some kind of adjustments when changing to thicker strings?

I've never played with anything other than normal standard E-tuning strings so I'm extremely inexperienced in this departement.
Wow, .10's for drop C? Really guys? I use .12/.13's in standard...

You guys really like your strings floppy, eh?

^There are no strings for specific tunings, dude.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Well the edge was designed with 9s in mind but it really doesnt matter.

Just make sure you have spares.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
10-52 is a really popular gauge for Drop C. It's what I currently use, and I love it. The top strings are fairly loose for lots of bending and other lead work, and the bottom strings are tight for riffing and chording.

Although personally I would like if the bottom strings were a little tighter. I might move up to 11-56.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by mcraddict81592
Wow, .10's for drop C? Really guys? I use .12/.13's in standard...

You guys really like your strings floppy, eh?

^There are no strings for specific tunings, dude.

You use .12s or .13s for standard? Who are you, Stevie Ray?

I can't imagine having such think strings for standard!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
They just sound so much fuller and feel better than anything thinner. Granted, you do have to work up to it, but once you're use to the tension and your develop the strength to really use them it's worth the work.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by Offworld92
10-52 is a really popular gauge for Drop C. It's what I currently use, and I love it. The top strings are fairly loose for lots of bending and other lead work, and the bottom strings are tight for riffing and chording.

This ^^

All these people saying you need 12s for drop C are pretty much full of crap. All you'll do is get tendonitis from those uber heavy strings...

Heavy Tops light bottoms exist and are used by a lot people for a reason.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
For drop C I would use .11-.52 gauge strings (Dadarrio medium top heavy bottom).

At drop C they have about the same tension as .10s tuned to e standard.
I would go with .10 - .52 That's what I used to use when I did drop tuning, or Zakk Wylde Boomers, but those are like .13 - .70
you're a stone fox
I used 13 Flatwounds in standard on a telecaster, but that's not the point.

The point is, find a gauge you like and stick with it. Try some different ones and throw the package in your case of the brand you like?

The Ernie Ball Heavy Bottoms/Light Tops are AWESOME though. I had them on my guitar when I was learning Chuck Schuldiner's stuff and they are great for lead work and keeping the rhythms tight.

BTW, heavier strings sustain better. They sound fuller because they're thicker. Ureh.
Quote by WtrPlyr
I heard D'Addario's don't work good with Ibanez RG550s

Funny, most RG550 owners I know use D'Addarios and experience no problems whatsoever. I have a set of D'Addarios on my JEM (which is right beside me) and I've never had any trouble with them (if anything, I'd say they work better with the trem than the other brands I've used).

Rich Harris at Ibanez Rules (who is pretty well regarded as the most knowledgeable guy online when it comes to Ibanez setup) also recommend D'Addarios.

I can't imagine why somebody would object to D'Addarios on an RG...
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by mcraddict81592
They just sound so much fuller and feel better than anything thinner. Granted, you do have to work up to it, but once you're use to the tension and your develop the strength to really use them it's worth the work.

Oh, I know. I love the thick, full sound of bigger strings. I used to have a strat strung up with .13s...but I do a lot of big bends in my playing...so it just didn't work for me.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Funny, most RG550 owners I know use D'Addarios and experience no problems whatsoever. I have a set of D'Addarios on my JEM (which is right beside me) and I've never had any trouble with them (if anything, I'd say they work better with the trem than the other brands I've used).

Rich Harris at Ibanez Rules (who is pretty well regarded as the most knowledgeable guy online when it comes to Ibanez setup) also recommend D'Addarios.

...It's a joke. He's making fun of how ridiculous your question of matching a guitar to a specific brand of strings is.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
...It's a joke. He's making fun of how ridiculous your question of matching a guitar to a specific brand of strings is.

I knew it probably didn't matter, what I really wondered was if some strings worked better or worse with a edge pro (floyd rose) tremolo like the one on rg550. As I said previously I don't have any experience at all changing to different strings gauges, and I've haven't had my rg550 for that long either.
Quote by Prophet of Page

Quote by Prophet of Page

ummm, yeah, kinda like, what he said. Well, if you contact Ibanez and ask them, they will tell you this, "Every Ibanez guitar that leaves the factory currently, leaves with D'Addario EXL120's". I use them exclusively, but again, it is personal preference.

Edited to add, I'm sure when he said that, he meant regular guitars...ie. not Bass, 7 string, etc.
Last edited by IbanezBossShred at Jun 22, 2011,
i use ernie ball skinny tops heavy bottoms (10-52) in standard. My rule of thumb is one step down - one gauge up, so the feeling of the strings would stay the same.
ZW boomers? 13-70? that sounds great, i was planing to go C-standard full time in near future, this might be my cup of tea. Who makes them?
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by Fruityjuice
^ GHS does.

thanks, ill look into them
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
10s should be sufficient for Drop C.

You can get 11s if you want a tighter bass responses.

While you shouldn't get something too light like 9s which will flop like a sun-bathing seal... its all about personal preference.

Heck, you can even use the guts and heartstrings of your mortal enemy if you like.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 22, 2011,
Skinny Top Heavy Bottom my friend

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Skinny Top Heavy Bottom my friend

I might just try those. Or the 11-54 I mentioned above.