I found it for sale at a local MusicGoRound. I might go pick it up soon, granted I can get some extra funding for it.

I've looked up specs for it and everything, but my only concern is the Lo TRS 2. Is it really that bad?

I've read it's not that great for fluttering effects, but it'll hold up if not abused. For $150, I can't say that's too bad. I've also read it can be swapped out for an OFR/FR Pro, which wouldn't be too big of a deal, I don't think.

I know the issue is with the arm coming loose after so long of being used, but the trem can be modded to fit a different, more secure tremolo arm.

I don't think I'd abuse the tremolo that much. I really would just like a guitar that's older than I am, and it's blue. Sparkly metallic blue.

Would I be able to fit a FR-Special/1000 in it? I'm not crazy about spending $250 on a FR made in Germany, but if I have to, so be it.

Thanks.

EDIT: I researched a little, and it might actually have a TRS101 tremolo...?
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jun 21, 2011,
Yep, but I'd rather a $140 Gotoh LFR rather than an OFR or any other less-than-OFR-but-not-quite-LFR's (although the FR1000 is nice...).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It's... eh.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Better or worse than the Lo TRS? I haven't found much information about the TRS 101. All I really know is the Lo TRS is a low profile version of the TRS 101. Some guy said it was one of their best trems.
lo-trs (or II) is not very good.

basically depends on how cheap you can get a quality drop-on replacement.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is $150 an okay price for this guitar, though? I mean spending another $150-$200 on a quality tremolo isn't that bad, as long as the guitar is pretty dece.
dunno... i mean you'd want to see how much you could get an MIJ one with an edge, lo pro edge or edge pro for. I could be wrong, but $300-$400 might be within range of one used.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I dunno, the $300-$400 range stuff around here is like the Roadstars. Cheapest MIJ I've seen is $500. Unfortunately, I just don't have the cash for that right now.

Are the MIK Ibanez guitars that much worse in overall quality, or is it mainly the tremolo?
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I dunno, the $300-$400 range stuff around here is like the Roadstars. Cheapest MIJ I've seen is $500. Unfortunately, I just don't have the cash for that right now.

Are the MIK Ibanez guitars that much worse in overall quality, or is it mainly the tremolo?

Depends on when they were made I suppose. The ones coming out of Korea in recent years are pretty consistent and quite good. Go back 5 - 7 years, and the QC is very hit-or-miss.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The EX350 was made in like 1989, somewhere around there. I'm pretty sure it's pre-90's. Obviously I'd go and look at the guitar before I buy it, but is it still in the hit or miss years?

Seriously though, I thank you guys for answering my questions.
It will be a decent guitar, especially for $150. But don't expect to be able to dive the trem all the time without it going out of tune. Either replace it with an OFR (or a decent licensed floyd) or block the trem. You might be able to get some vibrato from the trem without it going out of tune, but other than that it will probably go out of tune.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
The EX350 was made in like 1989, somewhere around there. I'm pretty sure it's pre-90's. Obviously I'd go and look at the guitar before I buy it, but is it still in the hit or miss years?

Seriously though, I thank you guys for answering my questions.

Hmmm, I'd take a tech along to check for potential problems, the neck, and the general quality of the body. Sometimes there might not be a major problem with the guitar itself, and a general overhaul / setup can solve all the problems.

I have seen some really good MIK Ibanez even when another few from the same batch was quite dodgy. That said, have the truss rod checked out... for some reason, that's one of the areas which MIK Ibanez do show problems.

Worth a try IMO, from what I've seen - there is a possibility it can be quite a good piece, but just don't keep your fingers crossed. That said, I would still pick a old MIK up over a current Made in Indonesia Ibanez - they rank as the worst I've personally ever tried.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 24, 2011,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

ah ok. i just thought they might be under based on what i've read.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
@ragingkitty

It's from a MusicGoRound, so no issues are expected with that.

I got some high-res pics of the guitar, and the Floyd JUST says "Licensed under Floyd Rose Patents." I've looked at some pictures of the Lo-TRS and TRS 101, and they all have TRS or Ibanez stamped on it. Is it possible that the trem was swapped out, or is that common for MIK Ibanez guitars?

Also, it appears to have the original price tag on it, $499.95. Pretty cool!
dunno about all of them, but mine certainly says "ibanez lo-trs" on it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, i have no idea what that is, but it's not a lo-trs or lo-trs II, as they're both low profile and that one isn't. i think the trs101 is low profile too (not certain, though).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As far as I know, the Lo-TRS is the low profile of the TRS 101, it looks more like a TRS 101. I think the guitar was made in 1990, judging by the serial number on the back plate. I couldn't date it, but it's 9014089.

It's strange, because it's supposed to be 2 digits that mark the year, followed by 4 more digits that mark a few different things, but this has 5. I also learned that the neck plate doesn't reveal much except the year.
i could be wrong, but i think the "two digits mark the year" thing only applied to certain years. would be worth checking, i think the SN system changed at one point.

and if the trs101 is the non-low-profile version of the lo-trs, then i guess it could be that. I have no idea, though, to me that just looks like a generic (but older-style, because of the wood screws rather than the screws that screw into bushings for the pivots) licensed OFR.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't think it's a TRS 101, I can't find one with the wood screws. Does that make it a pretty cheap tremolo?
not sure. i mean the earliest OFRs had wood screws.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It seems they were released in 89, they used the blushes, and in 1990 they used wood screws. I found two different catalog pictures showing this. The specs just says "Licensed Floyd Rose," so I dunno.

Thanks for your help, though.
no worries. they're a bit before my time
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Haha, mine too. I love these 80's Ibanez guitars, though. They're cool, and they're cheap. It would be kind of funny to own a guitar that's old enough to drink.
haha

i mean i was alive back then, just i didn't play guitar
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I personally wouldnt bother with an 80s korean guitar..

Will probably be cack in general.
Once you replace the trem you could probably find a 570 if you hunt around for the same price..
There's a 570 on my local CL now for $545. It's got a neon (chameleon?) purple finish.

No thanks, way too steep. The thing is, I don't like dot inlays. I really like how the EX350 has the triangles. Plus, I could mod it.
Wait for a rg750/770 then...
545 is quite pricey ya. The older ones are awesome though..

Suit yourself modding the ex370 but by the time you do alot of mods you could have got something better
ya know.
Not a whole lot of that stuff really shows up on my craigslist. A lot of the stuff on there right now pre-90's Ibanez, has been heavily modified with unknown pickups, hardware, etc. And then there's stuff that's extremely questionable, some short production models for $1000+.

Most of them are black, too. I really don't want another black guitar.

I've really just been looking for a pre-90's Ibanez guitar. And for $150, it's going to be miles better than a new $150 guitar.
According to the store in my area ,the 350EX and 350DX usually have issues in a few months
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Well, these were around before I was a twinkle in the eye. Shall we put it that way?

haha
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?