so within the month i think i will be buying some form of a line 6 POD HD. just not sure which to pcik, the floor unit, (HD500) or the desktop unit (HD Desktop)

it most likely will not be used for gigging, mainly recording/silent practice.

Im not sure because the small size and all of the desktop version is really tempting, plus its 100$ cheaper. but its made of plastic i think. and it doesnt have the expression pedal. and ive realized the crazy stuff you can do with the expression pedal (such as controll gain on the amp with it). and if i were to get the desktop version id have to buy a line 6 foot controller which is another 100$....

but the desktop also has an XLR input, not sure if the HD500 has that. they say its made for recording with mics/vocals, which is really useful too.

i want it to be portable so i can travel with it, but also not like 3 different parts and a million cables.

i could also get the hd500 and then get a road case for it, but thatd be pricy.

also, if i get the hd 500 i could use it as a back up rig for gigs, running it out into the PA.....

what do you think?
get the hd500. it has the xlr, it has the expression pedal/footswitches built in, it is in one piece, and you can use it for live purposes without having to buy a foot controller
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Well, the hd500 has a 40 second looper, but the hd does not. The hd 500 is made for live use but the hd is made for practicing and recording. Just get the hd, you'll save $100.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
the desktop has the looper, you just cant use it practically lol
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
well i probably wouldnt use the looper much, if at all even

and i like the all in one idea, but the unit is pretty big. if the HD500 werent so big, id go for that without a doubt
it is kinda big, and if you really need the portability id just get the desktop. if you can live with it being kinda big, i would go on and get the hd500

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
im really leaning towards the hd500 if it also has the xlr inputs. i think i might just deal with the amount of space it takes up
You should talk to sXe170, he just got a pod hd.
if you want to save money, get the hd400. it has served my needs
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
The pod hd has an Xlr input.
You can get the hd300 or 400 if the 500 is too expensive, but if I'm already spending $400, I would just spend $500 and get the hd500.
ya the price is not really that big of a deal for me here, its the actual decision between the 2

the floor model has all pedals/buttons built in
but the desktop model is smaller and way easier to move, and im trying to decide if i really need all those buttons if im not going to be gigging with it....

can you hook and expression pedal straight into the desktop without the shortboards and stuff? and am i making a bigger deal out of the expression pedal than its worth? because i dont use wahs or volume pedals even outside of the PODs
The hd500 wouldnt be that hard to carry around. The extra footswitches and expression pedal are always a plus. I did not think I would be using the wah when I got my rp355, but now I love it. The looper is always a great practising tool. The Xlr jacks are great too. I would go with the hd500.
Quote by Pat_s1t
Well, I do have a thread concerning DSPs, if you'd look to my sig.

and i have posted in it when you first started that thread

and if i see an HD500 go for a reasonable price near me, ill probably jump on it, but i doubt it, cuz im in canada
Just get the HD500 man. It's really great. And as someone said, you can find them for about $100 cheaper if you look.

It is kind of big... but not too big. And if you have an amp, i'd assume it's better for using than the HD desktop.

With the footswitches and the expression pedal, it's just too much fun to pick the HD desktop over. I mean you can exactly switch patches with your foot instantly like on the HD500 or switch on and off effects.
The bean doesn't have the amp loop and no switches to use the looper. The expression pedal can be used to control far more than volume and wah. If it's like my M5 you can control every parameter on an effect, all at the same time if you want.

You already know the advantage of the bean... small and $100 less. If that's what floats you boat, then get it.