I'm a total novice when it comes to hip hop and I mostly dislike the genre but I really dig Ice Cube's album Amerikkka's Most Wanted and was hoping for more albums in that style. According to Wikipedia 90s hip hop is not strictly speaking old school so maybe if someone could recommend a good "old school" artist to me that would be great. I enjoy the sound the sax and flute bring to the music and so would prefer an album that emphasizes those elements, maybe have an entire horn section. I also like the funky bass and clavinet use on that album. I know my request is a bit unfocused but I hope you guys know what I mean. I'm also loving some acid jazz type music like the Greyboy Allstars and I'm also not very knowledgeable about that genre. Hopefully someone can point me towards some good stuff.
If you like The Greyboy Allstars, check out Lettuce, Soulive, and The New Mastersounds.

As for horn-laden Hip Hop, here's a little list of artists (off the top of my head) that incorporate samples, or even live instrumentation, with horns and flutes:

Gang Starr
A Tribe Called Quest
Guru's Jazzmatazz
Jurassic 5
DJ Quik
Masta Ace Incorporated
Outkast
Naughty By Nature
Eric B. & Rakim
Boogie Down Productions
KRS-One
Nas
Mobb Deep
Wu-Tang Clan (and solo albums by damn near all of 'em)
Jay-Z
Common

Common - Real Nigga Quotes

Ghostface Killah - Ironman

Outkast - Southernplayalisticcadillacmuzik

Guru - Sights In The City

Gang Starr - Now You're Mine

A Tribe Called Quest - Jazz (We've Got)

DJ Quik - Quik's Groove III
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
^^^^ great list. Especially Jazzmatazz. I'd add Pete Rock & CL Smooth, The Roots, Big L, and Mos Def...

And for a little change of pace some Delinquent Habits...
Check out Miles Davis - Doo Bop.

It's mostly very smoky sounding muted trumpet soloing to hip hop rthyms. very chill album,. with some nice rapping on it.
Recommended threads
Songs in DADGAD ( 1 2 )
Funkeh Muchacho
Last post:
by BlackTooth61
Drop C#? ( 1 2 3 )
barfrog
Last post:
by 09phillt