Is there a way to still have a chimey sound (ala strat chime) and thicken up overdrive sounds. I hate how my bridge pickup cuts through. Everything else is only minimally bright in that I can somewhat control it, but whenever I flick to position one for some crunchy sounds, it nearly cuts my head off and sticks out like a sword through the mains and monitors. It's not as bad on all amps, but it shows up most of the time (especially on a Flextone iii that I frequently plug in to).

So basically, I don't want muddy and I don't want a tin can clankiness and thin bite. I'd like to replace all pickups to remain balanced with whatever I do to the bridge pickup. If I don't HAVE to swap pickups, that would be great, but they are noisy. I'd say $150-$200 at most for a set or $100 for a really good pickup. I play cleans, rock, alternative rock, indie, blues, and shoegazey stuff with this guitar. Thanks.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
get a stacked humbucker in the bridge
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by supersac
turn up your mids and bass and turn down the treble

It works on my amp, but it doesn't work as well on the Flextone iii. I should also mention the guitar is plain noisy and even if I can tame it through amp EQ, it still sounds like a guitar with thin pickups going to an amp with rolled off highs, if that makes sense.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Jun 21, 2011,
Go to Callaham Guitars web site, http://www.callahamguitars.com/partsstr.htm
Scroll down and look at the Callaham Base Plate $8.75. I use these in ALL my Strats.
I also get the Blender Pot $8.75.
Both are very easy to install and does wonders to a Strat
You can see videos on Youtube on how a Blender pot works so you can get an idea

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
If you want to just get some different pickups you can't go wrong with a set of Fender Custom Shop 69's.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by supersac
turn up your mids and bass and turn down the treble

This ^^

Or buy a set of Duncan Blackouts
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Sounds like you want humbuckers to me.
Personally, I'd replace the pickups with a set of single coil sized humbuckers, and put series/parallel switches for the bridge & neck so you can get single-coilish tones when they're in parallel.
you could always look for a set of paul gilberts new pickups i think they are called "injectors"
for single coils i think they sound amazing
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
I believe you want a set of Bareknuckle Trilogy Suites. Very beastly pickups, yet still maintain that true Strat sound, without having all the side affects of your typical single coil.

You might have to stretch your budget a bit more, but they are worth it, trust me, don't put a single coil sized humbucker in there, it just ruins the strat feel.

Either that or you could just back off the tone pot bit, I did that today with a MIA Strat, worked great.
lower your bridge pickup slightly (i.e. so that it sits closer to the pickguard, and further away from the strings). rinse and repeat until switching pickups isn't so jarring.

if it's already as low as it can go, raise the others slightly instead.
Quote by ascend
lower your bridge pickup slightly (i.e. so that it sits closer to the pickguard, and further away from the strings). rinse and repeat until switching pickups isn't so jarring.

if it's already as low as it can go, raise the others slightly instead.

That will only make the bridge pickup sound weaker.
it sounds to me like he's complaining that it jumps out too much when he switches to it, so, yeah, that's the goal my suggestion is shooting for
Yeah, lower the bridge pickup a bit. You might wanna put something like a Seymour Duncan SSL-1 in there for better gain and less brightness.

Also, get some spray glue, and take off your pick guard. Take off the pickups and electronics and everything, and glue heavy duty aluminum foil to the back of the guard. Replace all hardware and electronics after cutting necessary holes.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Willowthewitch
Or buy a set of Duncan Blackouts

Yes, because the cheapest and most straightforward solution to fattening up and quieting a strat is to tear out all the electronics, buy a new pickguard, and route it for a set of active humbuckers and a battery.

The thing to assess here is whether your guitar is too thin for a strat, or too thin in general. If it's too thin for a strat tone, a decent set of pickups (lace sensors would be my suggestion) or maybe even just going up a string gauge, getting the guitar set up properly, and using pure nickel wrap strings should fix it. If the strat tone in general is too thin, you've got the wrong guitar.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, because the cheapest and most straightforward solution to fattening up and quieting a strat is to tear out all the electronics, buy a new pickguard, and route it for a set of active humbuckers and a battery.

The thing to assess here is whether your guitar is too thin for a strat, or too thin in general. If it's too thin for a strat tone, a decent set of pickups (lace sensors would be my suggestion) or maybe even just going up a string gauge, getting the guitar set up properly, and using pure nickel wrap strings should fix it. If the strat tone in general is too thin, you've got the wrong guitar.

I've heard fatter tone from strats. I do like that funky sort of thin sound, but it's a little too much for me.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
What gauge strings? 9's will sound a bit thin with bridge and high gain, try 10's.

Also, if 10's already, angle the bridge pickup so the low E is higher then the High E.

try the second pos and roll of the mid pickup tone slightly.

I would try all these before dishing out cash.
A good option that I really found to fatten up the tone, also make the strat a bit more versatile, was throwing in the active mid-boost found in the Clapton and Buddy Guy strats. Check it out, great sound.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Rewiring the middle pickup tone knob to the bridge can help as well if you use that pickup more often.
^^ with a push/pull pot so you can have it wired to both and switch.