My band is trying to make a demo, and instead of spending alot of money on a studio even though we want a sketchy sound, we decided to use our bassists tape deck.

It has an recording in red/white jack, and we have a behringer pa, 3 standard sure mics, and 1 instrument mic(it's the bassists dads) and we think we have enough. We were going to record it in my basement, which is a large room with stone walls and floor, and a small room off to the side(maybe for vocals if needed).

We think we have enough, but I'm not completely sure, as we haven't tried everything out as we haven't got the cash for blank tapes right now. I know there are definately people around here who have more experience with recording bands.

We are a three piece, guitar, drums, bass.
Is your question, "do we need more microphones?" I mean, more microphones give you more options but with what you have, I think it'll be fine. Use one Shure mic for Vox, another for guitar, another for bass, and use the instrument mic for drums.
Music stores give all gear a +50 to Charisma.

Quote by one vision
Why not chromatics? Chromatic harmony was the "new thing" in the romantic era.
Quote by BassFishin
Problem:
Fish isn't meat.
Quote by CodeMonk
Pics or its a DS-1
Last edited by BlackNapkin at Jun 21, 2011,
yeah, we just kinda needed a somewhat confident assurance from someone a little more experienced that we arent gonna go down to the basement and realize we're missing something really important lol.
Quote by willwelsh816
yeah, we just kinda needed a somewhat confident assurance from someone a little more experienced that we arent gonna go down to the basement and realize we're missing something really important lol.

Unless you're good/very lucky with mic placement, you will be missing a decent drum sound, but you know...

Basically, there's few instances where I'd even cosider tracking drums with just one mic, especially with what I presume is a choice from one of four dynamic mics, and those 'instances' I talk of are when after specific lo-fi effects.

If you don't really know what you're doing, and would be recording to tape of all mediums, I think you'd be much better off booking some studio time and utilising a local studio's 'demo deals' (i.e a set price for 3 or 4 tracks and a mix/master at the end). Otherwise there's no point in you doing the demo because it will do the opposite of promote your band to people who hear it.

The only other thing I'll say is you'd better be serious and well-rehearsed if you go into the studio, or you're wasting your money and the studio's time.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jun 21, 2011,