So I'm trying to get Metallica's old sound (first few albums, particularly RTL), but I don't think I'm getting it quite right. As of now, I have a Schecter Damien Elite, EMG 81 & 85 pickups, bla bla bla. And I have a Spider IV, 15W, and I've been trying to get the right sound just by using the built-in pedals. I also have a Boss Metal Zone pedal, but I haven't tried using it yet. Anyway, when I try to get that sound, it doesn't have that scooped sound they had, plus it doesn't feel like I'm getting a lot of presence. Any help would be greatly appreciated
to acheve a scooped sound take mids out of the EQ, but mids are what make the guitar shine! I think it is moreof an amp issue, not that the spider is a horrible bedroom amp, but it deffinately is no Mesa Mark amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Welcome to UG, we don't take kindly to spiders around here. Try keeping the bass and treble around 7 and keep the mids around 4. Thats about as close to metallica as you will get on a spider. And for the love of god please don't use the insane channel.
Last edited by Baconator1228 at Jun 22, 2011,
Yup, I like the sound i get with the mids at 1-2 o'clock. Honestly you probably won't get close with that amp. If you can't afford another amp then use yours on clean with the Metal Zone as all the gain.
Gear:
Gibson '61 SG (57 Classics)
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (TB-6)
Gibson '08 Explorer (500T)
Soldano Avenger 100
No Name 4X12 w/ Texas Heat+V12
I Want More Stuff
With the racks and the rig that Metallica runs and used to run, you are never going to get there with a Spider.

If you really want that tone, get a modded Marshall Plexi and a Tubescreamer.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??