I'm going to be getting about $900 for my birthday and I've decided it's time to get a new bass, so I've been looking at some of the 5-string basses. I play alot of metal and rock, tuning to drop C,B and A alot so the low B string will be a huge help. I have a few questions...

For metal, should I be looking at active or passive pickups? What are the advantages of having active pickups?

I noticed the Ibanez BTB series have a 35" scale neck, this would be pretty helpful in keeping string tension, especially on the B should this be something I should look for in lieu of something with a shorter sale length, like a fender, or will the extra inch not really make that much difference?

Are there any brands/models to avoid? I've never heard anything for or against Schecter basses, are they worth looking at? Or the Epiphone Thunderbird pro V, what's the reputation of these?

Not overly fussed about body shapes or anything, as long as it is sturdy and sounds good, hoping to be able to get a "clanky" type sound, almost like Fieldy's slap type stuff.

Can anyone make any suggestions?
I actually really like Schecter basses. They have a very good value for the money, and I don't think you'll be let down if you at least try one of them.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
for 900 $ you can get a nice Ibanez BTB 5 string (700 bucks i guess) or an Ibanez SR505 (around 500 $)

35' scale will help the tension of that B string and also to tune down without having problems with string rattling
If you are willing to go used a Ibanez BTB675 if you are lucky enough to find one that low of a price.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
If you can live without fretboard dots, look at the MTD Kingston 5-string:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
actives are more modern sounding then passives. and if you have an active eq you get much more tweakability in your sound.

a 35inch scale will help, but there are other factors that affect your tension. try before you buy, but if you can't a 35 is preffered.

I p[lay a schecter stilletto custom 6. tis a great bass. the emg-hz pups in it are not the best in the world and I dreadfully want to swap them with something. but I love the fat neck on it and its built like a tank.

fender 5s are pretty meh. (says the fender fanboy)

ibanezs are a very good choice and many people love their necks.
no sir away a papaya war is on
A used Warwick or a Ibanez would be perfect. I'm blown away by my SR505, one of the best basses I've played. And personally I find Schecters pretty meh, especially the guitars.
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
Last edited by joey-only at Jun 22, 2011,
I would like mention that Fender PV aren't for everybody since they have a real dark low B string and the added width from the neck is turn off for most people as well.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
For your setting, I would confirm that a five string is the way to go.

Also, heavy metal players often favor active pickups. They buy a lot of models with active pickups. So see if you like them. It's not "strange" for a heavy metal player to use active pickups. They are among the strongest of buying communities for active pickups.

So it looks like you are in the right neck of the woods. The models I'm thinking of right now are over that price point, but it looks like some of the other people have some ideas.
Im actually getting a Sterling by MusicMan Ray35 in a couple days. I tried it out and it sounds just like the 5 string stingray, only a bit cheaper. Its a great bass for the price and if you like the sound of Stingrays, you'll enjoy the Ray35 - the only issue is its pretty heavy.

I've also heard alot of great things about the Ibanez 5 strings, I love the Ibanez 4 string I have now, so I could only guess the Ibanez 5 strings would be just as good.
[Insert something clever here]
And everyone here has suggested stuff over AU$900.

Even though our dollar is better than the US dollar we still pay about $400 on average for musical instruments.

Had a quick look through Billy Hydes, this is well within budget and a widely regarded bass

http://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/view/3932/schecter-bass-guitar-stiletto-extreme-5/
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by FatalGear41
If you can live without fretboard dots, look at the MTD Kingston 5-string:

For 900 Aus? You're dreaming son.

Save for a little longer and buy this or this.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
OP, you dont happen to live in the LA area do you? I know a friend whos selling his 5 string jazz for $400 and I could put you in touch.

Its in immaculate condition
Quote by thebassiestbass
OP, you dont happen to live in the LA area do you? I know a friend whos selling his 5 string jazz for $400 and I could put you in touch.

Its in immaculate condition

Yep he lives right near LA, in a little place called Australia, I'm surprised you haven't heard of it....

seriously though if you guys are gonna give advice at least read his posts in this thread
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects