Hey guys, I'd like your opinions here. I thought this would be a good neutral site to ask this question (coughcoughmarshallforumcough). I'm looking for my tone, and I've narrowed it down to these two amps, but I'm having trouble deciding. Yes, I know it's up to me, and I should listen and play them, but I want some opinions. If I could describe what I'm looking for, it'd be a kind of GNR-ish tone mixed with some Metallica and Maiden. Maked sense huh? Well, I'd appreciate anyone's help.
While I am not a fan of all the fiddling that needs to be done with Mesa's, they are without question more versatile. You can get awesome Maiden and GNR tone from the Marshall, but not Metallica. The gain on the Jubilee just isn't tight and focused enough. For that reason I lean toward the Mesa. But...buy a solid distortion pedal as well so you don't have to blast the amp to get the tone you want.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
I've never played a Stiletto so I can't really give an opinion on the two, but damn do I love me a Silver Jubilee.

Not even a GnR fan but those amps are just beautiful.
I love Mesa Stilettos so much it hurts. The Silver Jubilee's okay.
I'd go with the Mesa.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
I loved my Stiletto 1 of the best built amps ive owned. Mesa
Isn't the Jubilee worth like $2500 though? I'd think there's a pretty huge price leap between a Stiletto and a Jub.

If you can get them for a similar price though, I'd go for the Jubilee because of their value. If I didn't like it then I'd re-sell it, I suppose.
Doesn't the Jubilee have a fairly dark voicing? Or is there more than one kind?

Anyway, I've some experience with the Stiletto, and I can definitely say it's a great amp. It's a very very bright amp (hence the name) and can cause ear fatigue very easily if you're just using it to play at home. With a band though it really is something else.
The Mesa is superior to the Marshall. A Stilleto is basicly a recto and a marshall combined sound wise, but it doesn't have the "bigness" in the lowend that a recto has. It is also more articulate than just about any marshall I have ever tried.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by KG6_Steven
The Mesa.

+1

EDIT:

Quote by Robbgnarly
The Mesa is superior to the Marshall. A Stilleto is basicly a recto and a marshall combined sound wise, but it doesn't have the "bigness" in the lowend that a recto has. It is also more articulate than just about any marshall I have ever tried.

This applies almost anytime someone compares a Mesa to a Marshall
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Jun 30, 2011,
Go with the stiletto. Amazingly versatile and it takes pedals very well. I love mine so much.
The Jubilee is pretty expensive and won't get you anywhere near an AFD tone if that is what you are looking for. I find most of the people on the marshall forum who diss the JCM 900 and praise the Jubilee very hypocritical. They both have diodes in them. Not the same sound but they blame it solely on the diodes. I would go for the Mesa for the good tones and it's cheaper.
Quote by ZigmaMetal
The Jubilee is pretty expensive and won't get you anywhere near an AFD tone if that is what you are looking for. I find most of the people on the marshall forum who diss the JCM 900 and praise the Jubilee very hypocritical. They both have diodes in them. Not the same sound but they blame it solely on the diodes. I would go for the Mesa for the good tones and it's cheaper.

There is a lot more to the JCM900 than just a few diodes - it has 15 op-amps doing most of the work in the preamp. Maybe you should know a bit more about what you are talking about before you call people hypocrites.

TS: I'd go for the Mesa.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
There is a lot more to the JCM900 than just a few diodes - it has 15 op-amps doing most of the work in the preamp. Maybe you should know a bit more about what you are talking about before you call people hypocrites.

TS: I'd go for the Mesa.

Haha, someone's going around looking for an argument Cath, this is his 2nd post slagging off within the 1/2 hour.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Willowthewitch

This applies almost anytime someone compares a Mesa to a Marshall
I would take a Marshall JTM45, 50 watt JMP, Super Lead or Super Bass over any Mesa 10 times out of 10.
I love the Mesa vs. Marshall arguments.

OT, I'd go with the Stilleto. Way more versitle than the Jubilee, which helps if your tone tastes change later on. And I trust Mesa's reliability way more than I do Marshall. They're both great amps, but I'd choose the Mesa

My 2 cents
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.