i've been using dr tite fits for a while. i get some fret buzz on most frets. i've raised the action still got buzz. neck seems straight. i've read some people say dr strings cause fret buzz and dead strings at times. was just wanting some imput on that. as for getting the guitar setup. its a esp ltd m-15. i paid $115 for it. im guessing a setup would cost more than half of that. so im not sure if its even worth it. i ordered some ernie ball power slinkys hoping that will help out. any thoughts?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I've never liked DR strings too much, they always sounded dead to me. Depending on how hard you play, and the gauge of the string, your always going to get some fret buzz, it's normal, unless is buzzing when you lightly strum the strings, then it becomes a problem, but when you mash on the strings hard then fret buzz is going to happen, no matter how good the setup.
yeah it buzzes no matter what. i called one place they said $40 per hour and they said it takes a couple hours. thats like almost the same amount i payed for the guitar. so i would like to try and solve this on my own. i've just dealt with it for a couple months. its just beginning to get very annoying. i dont really feel comfortable messing with the neck. i've been using these dr tite fits since i got it though. so im hoping these new strings make a difference.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
right now its 10-46. the ernie balls will be 11-48.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
do you use a floyd rose? If you do, i highly recommend that you don't use ernie balls. Ernie balls are very elasticy and that makes it hard to tune the floyd rose, and to keep it in tune. I exclusively use DR's on my floyd because it stays in tune for over a month before having to make a slight adjustment to the fine tuners.
If you don't use a floyd, then i agree with you: Don't use DR's

Also, ive never gotten fret buzz from DR's. It's probably your guitar. You can find online how to adjust the bridge. It's pretty simple, actually.
the bridge is pretty high right now. i dont have a floyd rose. i usually play stanard, but every once in a while i might tune the low string to d.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Ok, you really shouldn't be having any fret buzz in standard tuning, if your set up was proper. And if your action is high, and you still have buzz, the only two things to suspect are the nut height or the neck bow. I'm more inclined to believe you don't have enough bow in your neck.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Ok, you really shouldn't be having any fret buzz in standard tuning, if your set up was proper. And if your action is high, and you still have buzz, the only two things to suspect are the nut height or the neck bow. I'm more inclined to believe you don't have enough bow in your neck.

+1 maladjusted truss rod. easy to tweak your self, just need some allen wrenches, and to google or youtube a tech article. just dont do more than say conservatively a 1/2 turn a day (although i have people say up to one).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
how high should my action be. i'd have to go buy a ruler because i dont have one here. but i measured with a .88 pick and two of them fit the 17th fret snug. as for the neck. i think i have the wrench around here somwhere. maybe i could try that.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
how high should my action be. i'd have to go buy a ruler because i dont have one here. but i measured with a .88 pick and two of them fit the 17th fret snug. as for the neck. i think i have the wrench around here somwhere. maybe i could try that.

bridge height is different than neck relief. there is no standard bridge height that i am aware of, just set it as how it feels right for you, and donsn't buzz too much and have dead frets.

neck relief you fret the 1st fret and the 17th fret and check height of the string in the middle of those two points, i believe the width of a business card is standard.

as far as bridge height goes, my guitars all vary based on what i am using them for. for example i have a Gibson SG that i have in C#, drop B. i like the bridge height really high for more of a kind of lamb of god type riffing, and some deathcore stuff. i like it that way.

my ibanez prestige on the other hand is so low you barely have to touch the strings to fret them, but that guitar is more for intricate leads.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
cool thanks man. im mainly into metal myself, learning as im going. made a mistake buying this guitar off ebay and not going and trying them out first.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
cool thanks man. im mainly into metal myself, learning as im going. made a mistake buying this guitar off ebay and not going and trying them out first.

another thing is, if you don't feel comfortable doing a setup on the guitar, they usually run around $25-$30, and some/most techs will let you watch and some will teach you a little bit.

i learned how to stetup guitars from a magazine, but i have heard quite a few people on here say the above about the tech showing them the ropes a little bit. also i have never personally used a tech for anything.

after all it is good for the tech's business, because by being friendly he has potentially earned a lifetime customer. thats how a lot of relationships between techs and musicians start, then you will be bringing in bigger jobs, etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
cool. ill call guitar center and see whats up. kinda weird the independent place would charge more. they told me $40 per hour.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
cool. ill call guitar center and see whats up. kinda weird the independent place would charge more. they told me $40 per hour.

GC tech prices seem high. it all depends on what is getting for the price, if the guy is just doing the basics (above mentioned + restring and intonation, and maybe a slight bit of cleaning) i would say that $40 is a no go, but good techs do charge more, if you have heard great things about him from other guitarists, than maybe it would be worth the $40. and the whole hourly thing is kind of odd for just a setup.

i don't know, maybe we just have cheap techs down here. probably due to every idiot that likes to turn his house into is workplace and charge $10 per setup to keep him from getting dope sick. but in all seriousness that may be something that brings the price around here.

i can do a full setup in 20minutes as long as its not a floyd then maybe another 10 miunutes, and i have gone through at least 50 guitars in the last eight years, and have probably done 100+ setups.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by romeozdistress

You could actually go a bit higher up with your action, your still under 2 mm at the 17th fret, which most guitars with a low action will have it over 2mm at the 17th fret, unless you have your bridge height at maximum adjustment, then you have to suspect truss rod. I'd just loosen it a bit, but if you're going to throw those medium gauge strings on there, wait until you put those on there and see if it doesn't cause the neck to bow a bit more, giving you a better action.

I bet it was originally set up for .011 gauge strings, if not larger by the last owner.

I consider anything under 2mm extremely low action, cause I'm used to playing guitars with an action of over 2.5mm.