Does anybody here do it?

I'm asking because today, our lead guitarist's step-dad came down and said we would end up damaging our hearing practicing in such a small room at high volumes. He brought down ear plugs and head-phones. The guitartists both put in ear plugs, and apparently liked playing that way. Has anybody here practiced with ear plugs before? Would you recommend it?
Yes and yes. But for comfort/convenience reasons you can use those construction earmuff things instead of earplugs.
MATTERHORN
I always take earplugs to gigs.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
When we play with an acoustic drum kit, yes always. Why would you not?
Check out my band Disturbed
I have band practice twice a week, so i wear earplugs each time. Its not worth risking hearing damage. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but its not inconvenient. I dont wear them for all of my gigs yet but I should probably start. I definitely recomend them.
I didn't know it was so common; I expected a bunch of people coming here to tell me it's stupid, to be honest. Seeing as my hearings still ****ed 5 hours later, I think I'm going to start using ear plugs.
I have some but I don't wear them. I actually would like to wear them but it reduces the overall quality that I hear our rehearsals at to an extent where I might not enjoy the rehearsal.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
Quote by Brownerz
I have some but I don't wear them. I actually would like to wear them but it reduces the overall quality that I hear our rehearsals at to an extent where I might not enjoy the rehearsal.

you just need better ones; otherwise the hearing damage will add up and you'll regret not wearing them when you have tinnitus; i know i do
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Mhmm, well our drummer is very very loud, and everything else is therefore very loud to get over them, so yeah, it's painful without, i've gone a song or two in our band practice without just to see, and it's just painful, i had to put them in.
They make earplugs that reduce the volume evenly over the whole frequency range. They are a bit pricey, but if you're a tone snob and cant practice without hearing things just right, they might be worth the investment.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Mhmm, well our drummer is very very loud, and everything else is therefore very loud to get over them, so yeah, it's painful without, i've gone a song or two in our band practice without just to see, and it's just painful, i had to put them in.

It's painful? I think there is another problem if it is actually painful.

Love the Low end
If you practice consistently at loud volumes, definitely get them. One of my old Spanish teachers was partly deaf. He said it wasn't because of playing shows, it would because he would practice without earplugs. To make things worse, he was the drummer.

Made it pretty easy to get away with speaking English in class though.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Zeelod
It's painful? I think there is another problem if it is actually painful.

-_- at really high volume it is pretty painful, especially cymbals... I've got to have my amp all the way up too, as does the other guitarist just to get past the drums ._.

At least i get that nice overdriven tone by having it so loud though.
Quote by eatfresh1736
You might not even feel the effects of using earplugs until years later. Pete Townshend has tinnitus because The Who was one of the loudest bands around.

It was more his studio work that destroyed his hearing. Shows will do it over the years but hours a day playing through headphones at ungodly levels is what really does it.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Out of all the bands that I've been in, they have all played at loud volumes consistently. However, it has never been physically painful.
Maybe I'm just conditioned to it?
It has begun.

Love the Low end
Maybe you shouldn't play loud when you practice.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.