Page 1 of 3
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/nc-man-allegedly-robs-bank-health-care-jail/story?id=13887040

A 59-year-old man has been jailed in Gastonia, N.C., on charges of larceny after allegedly robbing an RBC Bank for $1 so he could get health care in prison. Richard James Verone handed a female teller a note demanding the money and claiming that he had a gun, according to the police report.

He then sat down and waited for police to arrive. "… I say, 'I'll be sitting right over here, on the chair, waiting for the police,'" Verone told reporters, recalling the June 9 robbery in an interview from Gaston County Jail.

And wait for the police, he did.

"He's sitting on the sofa as you walk in the front door," the bank teller said in a 911 call.

Police arrested Verone where he sat. He was unarmed.

Verone said he asked for $1 to show that his motives were medical, not monetary, according to news reports. With a growth in his chest, two ruptured disks and no job, Verone hoped a three-year stint in prison would afford him the health care he needed.

"I'm sort of a logical person and that was my logic, what I came up with," Verone told reporters. "If it is called manipulation, then out of necessity because I need medical care, then I guess I am manipulating the courts to get medical care."

But the charge of larceny, not armed robbery, is unlikely to keep Verone behind bars for more than 12 months. He is being held in Gaston County Jail on a $2,000 bond, according to a spokesman for the jail, and is scheduled to appear in court June 28.
Damn.
Last edited by Masamune at Jun 22, 2011,
Nobody move! You can all get out of here alive if the teller gives me exactly $1 in small bills! NOW!
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Lol, and 'Muricans think their system prevents crime.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
aren't there financial penalties associated with going to jail?
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
I say pwnd/owned alot, and n00b even more frequently.

It comes up every few seconds actually. I actually said "imma pwn j00 n00b" to my girlfriend i think. She had no idea what i wastalking about, so i pwnt her n00b ass.
In reality, it's not a bad plan.

Terminal illness? Hold up a burger joint at gunpoint. Boom. Treatment.

I'm sure they could get you with some sort of fraud, but what are they going to do to punish you? You WANT to go to jail for the healthcare benefits. The justice system's sole punishment is jail time for such an offense. Anything else they could whip up would still be a public funded institution, and probably still get the healthcare he wants.

All I can say is, , really.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
The sad thing is that the right-wingers will probably use this as an example of why prisoners shouldn't get medical care on taxpayer money.
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
The sad thing is that the right-wingers will probably use this as an example of why prisoners shouldn't get medical care on taxpayer money.

Unconstitutional. Cruel and unusual punishment. If you're in jail, and you're suffering from an illness, that's basically willful neglect, and could probably be seen as a form of torture.

I know our courts haven't shown the most intelligence before, but I would think that issue would come up, and shut down that side of the opposition.

/two cents

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by StewieSwan

They shouldn't get medical care, the big offenders anyway. Murderers and rapists. Let em' suffer. They're prisoners, yet are treated to a luxury the good people of society don't have. It's not right to me.

But this guy is brilliant.
Quote by manic
aren't there financial penalties associated with going to jail?

cant take no monies if you got no monies
My sig? Nice.
Quote by fallenangel20
Unconstitutional. Cruel and unusual punishment. If you're in jail, and you're suffering from an illness, that's basically willful neglect, and could probably be seen as a form of torture.

I know our courts haven't shown the most intelligence before, but I would think that issue would come up, and shut down that side of the opposition.

/two cents

Like that's stopped them before
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
My thoughts as well.
Quote by StewieSwan
Like that's stopped them before

Hence the second part of my post.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by KnownUnknown
I really wish we would bite the bullet and take on the larger taxes for universal healthcare. Life is cruel

+1

Actually the general population doesn't even need to pay higher taxes.

Make Exxon and General Electric (GE) and a bunch of other huge companies pay taxes at all.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2011/03/ten_giant_us_companies_avoidin.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/general-electric-paid-federal-taxes-2010/story?id=13224558
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
I wish it worked for him.

People shouldn't die or suffer because they can't afford to treat their illnesses.

^He would more than likely have been caught.
Quote by WaterGod
Ummm why didn't he just steal enough money to pay for health care?

Because he didn't have a gun and your ingenious ideas. >_>
Quote by WaterGod

Good idea, but he planned to get caught so it would've taken a whole different level of logistics including getaway vehicles and disguises and stuff.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by WaterGod

Because he thought it was immoral. The whole reason he only stole $1 was to show that he wasn't about the money, but getting the care he needed. He sounds like a normal upstanding citizen, who wouldn't want to steal from innocent people.
¡sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ suɐılɐɹʇsnɐ ʎluo

E-married to danny the fish

Quote by Kensai
That's a purdy mouth you got there, zelestros. Why don't we make good use of that in other ways...
My friends dad asked his boss for the next week off, his boss said no, so my friends dad went and punched a guy and then copped a massive beatdown from that same guy and after it all his boss told him to stay home for a week...

his dad is a nutter.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Last edited by Teh Traineez0rz at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by KnownUnknown
I really wish we would bite the bullet and take on the larger taxes for universal healthcare. Life is cruel

Yeah, you gonna pay for it?
Oh, wait! The Obama healthcare plan is Universal Healthcare? Guess who's paying for it? Everyone! Even if you don't use it.

OT: Hey, the guy accomplished what he wanted. He got in prison so they'll cure him. Really though, I'm sure he could've gotten on medicaid or medicare, if he needed care so bad.

Quote by dann_blood
That's a good one, because the average US citizen would probably say it doesn't 100% prevent crime.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jun 22, 2011,
Makes me glad I live in Australia. No bullshitting around when it comes to healthcare.
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
My friends dad asked his boss for the next week off, his boss said no, so my friends dad went and punched a guy and then copped a massive beatdown from the same guy after it all his told him to stay home for a week...

his dad is a nutter.

That was painful to read, had to go through it like three times to fully understand......

TS story made me and at the same time
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by fallenangel20
Terminal illness? Hold up a burger joint at gunpoint. Boom. Treatment.

You can't really treat a terminal illness... they're terminal.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by dann_blood

I don't think any american thinks the healthcare system is suppoused to prevent crime.....
Last edited by WaterGod at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by WaterGod
I don't think any american thinks the healthcare system is suppoused to prevent crime.....

Best be trolling
Quote by WaterGod

I think he's talking about the jail system...
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Yeah, you gonna pay for it?
Oh, wait! The Obama healthcare plan is Universal Healthcare? Guess who's paying for it? Everyone! Even if you don't use it.

This shows just how totally ignorant you are.

Nobody is paying for anything yet "Obamacare" is years from being anything other than words on paper.

Save your whining and crying until 2014...

Anything and everything that happens between then and now rides solely on shoulders of the existing rationing of care by the insurance companies and existing tax structure we've had for the last decade.

Dip shit in the white house extended "The Bush Tax cuts" so you should get a clue about who's paying for what.

We have the same disastrous deficit generating supply side bull shit as we had in the Bush era.

EDIT:
Maybe our next POTUS will have the guts to make big business pay their fair share of the tax burden.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Jun 22, 2011,
I just find it ridiculous that Americans moan about the extra costs of a few dollars for universal health care. The rise is pathetically small and could be reduced further by redirecting just a few % of your massively absurd defense budget.
Quote by JackalUK
I just find it ridiculous that Americans moan about the extra costs of a few dollars for universal health care. The rise is pathetically small and could be reduced further by redirecting just a few % of your massively absurd defense budget.

lol, he thinks that root canals are more important than killing all the terrorists. protip: your teeth dont mean shit when terrorists want to bomb them.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Page 1 of 3