I had some question dealing with the size of a neck and from what part of the neck to where is measured to determine its scale. like on a 22 1/5 scale? and is there an equation or something to determine where the frets would go and how far from the neck the bridge would need to be? Im new to all of this and figured it wouldnt hurt to ask. Thank you!
The scale length is measured from the fretboard edge of the nut to the point where the string touches the bridge saddle, or the 'vibrating length of the string' if you measure this distance on most guitars the high e string will be nearly exactly the scale length and as you progress to the low e string the length measured will actually be longer than the scale length because of intonation.

The easiest way to find the position of the frets is to use the Stewmac calculator,

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Reference/Calculators/i-fretcalc.html

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Thanks a lot! So how long is the neck on a 22 1/2" scale? :O Ive been searching google to no avail =\

EDIT : Nevermind I think this calculator you provided tells me ^^ Thanks again!
Last edited by hearshotkidd at Jun 23, 2011,
It was just an example. Ill probably do a 25.5" scale more than likely. right now im trying to find the dimensions of a hofner violin bass@.@
Quote by Absent Mind
The scale length is measured from the fretboard edge of the nut to the point where the string touches the bridge saddle, or the 'vibrating length of the string' if you measure this distance on most guitars the high e string will be nearly exactly the scale length and as you progress to the low e string the length measured will actually be longer than the scale length because of intonation.

The easiest way to find the position of the frets is to use the Stewmac calculator,

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Reference/Calculators/i-fretcalc.html

Pretty cool calculator link Absent Mind, never saw that before. Looks pretty helpful. thanks for sharing!