Quote by stykerwolf
reverb, and lots of it

+1

Modulation... lots and lots and lots of it... so much so that everyone that gets up at the end of the gig has sea legs and needs to hurl.

Get a reverb (Eventide Space)

Get a harmoniser + pitch shifter

Get a chorus

Get phaser (Empress or Subdecay)
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Is there any reason why you'd want the DD20 over a DD7, I think they tend to be similarly versatile... apart from 23 seconds of delay... I'm not sure how you're gonna use 23 seconds of delay.

Another delay you can also use is the TC Electronics Flashback.

Also what budget?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
i'd look into a line 6 m5. that way you can add in another delay, or a reverb, or whatever you want. aside from that...

id say maybe just byu a fuzz or another delay
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Oooo Ring Modulator.

Me thinks you need some ZVex pedals... like the Ringtone or the Machine!
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Ring modulator
Digital delay
Analogue delay
Looper
Reverb
Phaser
Low pass filter
Chorus
Flanger
Octaver
Another delay - just in case
Wah
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
What I'd want for ambient:
Volume pedal (or good volumeknob skills, I prefer volume pedal)
Reverb with lots of decay and shimmer.
At least two delays
Compressor
Muff-like fuzz

And you can expand that with some modulation but I'm not really a modulation guy.
At a basic level you only need a delay, but if you want to get creative, get a delay, a reverb, a fuzz, and maybe another delay, an overdrive, etc.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
And don't forget volume swells. Volume swelling (especially when backed up by delay, and maybe a light bit of phasing) can sound incredibly ambient! You can either use a volume pedal for this, or the highly sought after Boss Slow Gear, or one of it's many clones Behringer SM200 is the cheapest I know of. Also look into th ebow - those things are awesome!
I make mostly ambient music, so maybe I can be of some help. I think the most important thing is reverb - you want lots of variety here. Delays are also good. You'll want a solid analog delay capable of oscillating as well as a digital delay. A looper is important too. Your DL4 has a mode that can produce volume swells, but a volume pedal can supplement that. Modulation is entirely up to taste. Also, it can be fun to use a wah pedal as a slow-moving filter.

I won't recommend any specific pedals because it's up to personal taste. If you like the sound and it has the features you need, then go for it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Below is a link to an ambient clip I did with a Magicstomp and a strat. The M5, which I just picked up has some cool delay and reverb FX. Check out the Timebender. A bit expensive but loaded with cool sounds.

Early Reflections