Someone made me an offer for a 212 Mesa Stiletto Ace at S$2400 (aprox US$2000). I know it goes for about US$1929 new on Sweetwater... but that does not include shipping and GST if I were to import it into Singapore, so at the offered price, it ain't too bad.

However, the problem is that I don't know anything about the Mesa Stiletto Ace... never heard of it, played it or seen this amp before today.

Anyone have any experience with this amp before?

What does it sound like?
What can it do well?
Any unique features about this amp?

I've checked out the youtuve vids... but I'd like to gather some UG opinion.

I already have a MkV for all my songs, but I was thinking of a new amp for a little bit of variety.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmC2Hh4MKBU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCOKqCHAhf4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS32gXasQCc

I didn't watch these all the way through but i picked the most legit looking videos.

You already have a mark V though, i wouldn't even worry about getting another mesa. seems like the mkV can do a LOT more than the stiletto. THe drive on the stilleto sounds more fluid and i like that sound more, but it's not up to me. I suggest asking the guy if you can use the amp for a couple days/a week before buying it so you can see if it's what you really want.

EDIT: I see you've watched the youtube videos, disregard those then. But yeah, the best way to see if it's what you want is to actually play it. A/B it with your mark V. You don't want to drop two grand on something and then realize you didn't really want it/need it.

ANOTHER EDIT: personally i think with some offboard gear (pedals) you can get your mkV to sound like a stiletto ace on the drive channel
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Last edited by ItsThatDude at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by ItsThatDude
EDIT: I see you've watched the youtube videos, disregard those then. But yeah, the best way to see if it's what you want is to actually play it. A/B it with your mark V. You don't want to drop two grand on something and then realize you didn't really want it/need it.

yeah, I know the whole try before you buy thing would be the best approach... but I was just keen to see what UG thinks of it.

Granted I suspected that it might overlap my MkV, but I was hoping for some indication of how much overlap there'll be.

Any other thoughts on the amp? Just ignore the fact that I have a MkV. I am also thinking of it as a potential investment.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
The Ace is 50w and supposed to be kinda British voiced.

Might be cool, you could probably make some cash off of it if you were to flip it. You're guaranteed to retain your investment at that price though, I know firsthand that importation tariffs can really drive the price up especially on something like a Mesa/Boogie.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The Ace is 50w and supposed to be kinda British voiced.

Might be cool, you could probably make some cash off of it if you were to flip it. You're guaranteed to retain your investment at that price though, I know firsthand that importation tariffs can really drive the price up especially on something like a Mesa/Boogie.

That's what I'm thinking, but have you tried the amp? Anything that makes it sound out in terms of tone? Granted it'll still be an investment, but it should still be usable as I hold on to it you know.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Never played one. If Andy Timmons uses one for its cleans, that's got to be a good sign, since it's a mid-high gain amp...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Never played one. If Andy Timmons uses one for its cleans, that's got to be a good sign, since it's a mid-high gain amp...

QFT.

It's a great sounding amp, i've heard it in person and it's a very musical amp. Lots of amps have their sound and that's all you're gonna get if you know what i mean. very dynamic.
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
i used to have a stiletto deuce. the overdrive channel is tight and aggressive and very british voiced. then cleans are very clean, but also very british. i wasnt a big fan of the cleans. i mean, i liked them a lot. but the actual character of the cleans wasnt really my style.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Its is a very nice hed, but it sounds like a Dual recto with no balls. Not that it is a bad amp, because its not.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate