Should I take in a portfolio of my work? What should these things include?
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112
Iommi has work done to it.

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Furthermore, how long does this take? What kind of knowledge do I need before hand?
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Quote by HaistaPaska92
You go for an interview, they give you a chunk or wood and metal and ask you to make a guitar

That doesn't sound like an "apprenticeship." I want to learn, I'm not that talented yet.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
perhaps ring the guy, ask him about it, see if you can meet him at his shop, talk to him about it, tell him that youre interested in it, that you want to learn about it, perhaps show him something youve built already, and see if he could teach you some things.

problem is, most luthiery people dont build guitars full time, they usually run repairs/mod/general guitar tech kinda thing. so you wouldnt just be building guitars. also, most luthiers dont make enough to pay someone that they would be teaching for their work.

so if i were you, ask if you could just hang around his shop and learn from him and build your own guitar under his guidance, and understand that you wouldnt be making money from this and maybe just organize to learn from him once a week or something whilst you work part time elsewhere to make enough money to keep buying wood and other stuff for your guitar.
Quote by Doonan
perhaps ring the guy, ask him about it, see if you can meet him at his shop, talk to him about it, tell him that youre interested in it, that you want to learn about it, perhaps show him something youve built already, and see if he could teach you some things.

problem is, most luthiery people dont build guitars full time, they usually run repairs/mod/general guitar tech kinda thing. so you wouldnt just be building guitars. also, most luthiers dont make enough to pay someone that they would be teaching for their work.

so if i were you, ask if you could just hang around his shop and learn from him and build your own guitar under his guidance, and understand that you wouldnt be making money from this and maybe just organize to learn from him once a week or something whilst you work part time elsewhere to make enough money to keep buying wood and other stuff for your guitar.

Most of that is what I expected. I don't think it'd be fair to get paid for an education. And I don't want to just build guitars, I want to do it all. So that sounds about right to me.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Myself, I made a post on craigslist asking for broken guitars to buy (so I could practice fixing them) and for luthiers interested in taking on an apprentice to contact me. I got an e-mail from a former apprentice suggesting I talk to a gentleman near me. I e-mail him, and managed to express my interest in such a way that he decided to let me come by to see the shop. When it was obvious how much I wanted to learn about guitars, he decided to let me stick around. Now I'm working on building a guitar, and when I'm waiting for glue to dry, I watch him fix other guitars.

He laments the general lack on interest in learning the art to me. It seems that there's not really that many people who are willing to devote the time and effort to lutherie, despite the huge body of guitar players. I know I was lucky, but if you can find someone who considers him or herself to be a craftsman who is also interested in seeing the art continue, there is a chance they'll really want to teach someone. Ask around, post on craigslist, and I'm sure you'll find an opportunity. Good luck!
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer