Page 1 of 3
I mean really? Growing up in the late 80's early 90's seems like such a dream when it comes to pop punk, ska, rockabilly rock n rollers with all their styles and sounds clashing together to create some of the greatest bands (in my opinion) fill my ears everyday as I grew up. Huge oldschool Blink, Sum 41, UL fan.

Now it's too tough to find decent local bands or popular touring bands that keep that Vandals DHC early No Doubt Honeymooners early Green Day sound alive. I am used to seeing kids starting these kinds of bands with this type of sound in my town (San Diego) but for the last five years or so it's dead. Overrun with hardcore drunkpunks and the metalcore scene. Ska does okay down here, but pop punk like Guttermouth or Osker, bands with fast and fun sound and courage to act dumb on stage, shouting obscenities about mothers, where have you guys gone?

And Fall out Boy or Panic at the Disco or Good Charlotte or MCR, these bands aren't pop punk, they may have had the sound or look at one point or another but these are all pop bands plain and simple.
You should go trough town and Actually search for them, place some ads, invite people for jam Sessions. If you want to, just go and try to get the genre back. It will work out, Just go and do it. there are always fans around, get the san diego "Pop-Punk Scene Rolling Again.
"The Demon Code prevents me from Declining a rock-off Challenge"

-Satan.
Pop punk still rules. I like a lot of pop punk nowadays more than 90s stuff. Check out these albums:

The Ergs! - Dorkrockcorkrod
The Copyrights - Mutiny Pop
House Boat - The Delaware Octopus
Delay - Plain Language
Latterman - No Matter Where We Go...!
Quote by due 07
Pop punk still rules. I like a lot of pop punk nowadays more than 90s stuff. Check out these albums:

The Ergs! - Dorkrockcorkrod
The Copyrights - Mutiny Pop
House Boat - The Delaware Octopus
Delay - Plain Language
Latterman - No Matter Where We Go...!

Latterman and The Ergs haven't existed for quite a while, and House Boat are (if I'm not mistaken) made up of a bunch of older dudes who've been in other bands for years. Still good recs though.

And there are definitely plenty of sweet modern pop punk bands.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by asator
Latterman and The Ergs haven't existed for quite a while, and House Boat are (if I'm not mistaken) made up of a bunch of older dudes who've been in other bands for years. Still good recs though.

And there are definitely plenty of sweet modern pop punk bands.
Latterman has all the Latterman-copy bands, so they count sort of. The Ergs! count because they are the mother fucking Ergs.

Quote by Kyle<3
Title Fight!!111!!11 Logan Circle haha
Quote by BK202
Pop-Punk these days is kinda dark like The Wonder Years.
Yes.
Quote by due 07
Latterman has all the Latterman-copy bands, so they count sort of. The Ergs! count because they are the mother fucking Ergs.

Can't argue with that.
Not new pop punk, but everyone should download Plow United by Plow United. The first half especially is amazing. It's from the '90s, but I'm just in a mood to talk about pop punk.
Plow United are cool. Honestly I was totally unaware of them until Iron Chic covered them.
It's in the middle of that set they have on Hate5six.com

I can't remember the name of the song, but it was on the second album and it's the one that goes "All I really wanna do, is prove, to you and mostly to myself that I'll be just fine" etc etc.

EDIT: 85 E. Cleveland. haha
Set Your Goals, Four Year Strong, The Wonder Years, Such Gold, Valencia, New Found Glory, This Time Next Year, A Loss For Words, Man Overboard.

The scene is thriving.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by BK202
Pop-Punk these days is kinda dark like The Wonder Years.

But a lot of them sound really contemporary like Set Your Goals.
Me and my band are out to bring pop punk back except we are a bunch of teenagers in sydney, Australia so you won't hear from us for a while.

Panic are still ok. Some as GC.
Life Story.
Kicked ass at Guitar Hero.
Decided To learn Guitar coz I felt like a pro.
Kicked ass at guitar. Learnt Bass.
Now Guitar Hero looks so F***in Gay.
HAHA HA
Quote by fee.young
Me and my band are out to bring pop punk back except we are a bunch of teenagers in sydney, Australia so you won't hear from us for a while.

A few things. One, you can't bring pop punk back. It didn't go anywhere. It's still alive and well.

Second, if you're implying that Panic and GC are the best pop punk has to offer then you really need to listen to some of the bands mentioned earlier in this thread.
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Quote by fee.young

Lol.

Also lol at your sig
Quote by guitar_rules311
A few things. One, you can't bring pop punk back. It didn't go anywhere. It's still alive and well.

Second, if you're implying that Panic and GC are the best pop punk has to offer then you really need to listen to some of the bands mentioned earlier in this thread.

+100
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Hey thanks for the new bands I've never heard of 'em.

I posted this thread twice to see if I could get more results and I have. I'm just glad more people feel like my friends an I do when ever we go to a show in our town and find that most of the bands are so angry and sad and drunk, where's the alternative??

I remember the shows having goofy kids, high spirited guys and girls dancing and sweating and stinking up the place, and nowadays everyone sits around with grimace. That's not always the case of course but there have been months and months of shows where only a handful of pop punk or Happy Punk as I prefer come around anywhere near SD or socal in general and the kids are happy and wild and are jumping up and down. It's depressing to go to shows lol.

That's a crazy thing.
Man, did it suck to be you in 2004 and your username was like so last summer.

Band was alright, not sure how I feel about the vocals though.
Rufused is cool.
I'm an asshole.
Haha- yeah it was a disaster!! That's what I get for living in the moment!! Long live old greenday!!!!!
www.street-dogs.com
www.randytheband.com
www.maroonhate.com
I'm not cool/old(?) enough to like Green Day before they were lame. American Idiot was my first rock album.
Old Greenday was pretty weak too though. Mid-era stuff is where it's at and American Idiot is a solid rock album.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Yeah, the pre-Kerplunk stuff is really pretty weak. Kerplunk itself is a good transitional album, but I pretty much only ever listen to Dookie and Insomniac nowadays—and that's not often. Nimrod isn't cohesive, and after that they sorta got more "songcrafty" and, in my view, lost their "essence." Warning was my favorite at one point, before I really thought about bands' "essences" and shit and when I liked The Kinks and stuff. American Idiot gave them a new "essence" sorta, which is neat, but doesn't make me wanna listen to it. Maybe I don't really like it because it has a 2004 feel to it—dark times for me.

I realize my retrospective opinions on Green Day's catalogue are gratuitous and this is off-topic.

Edit: is dancing to Prince Jammy.
Last edited by █▐▌█▐▌ at Jul 4, 2011,
Kerplunk and Dookie are where it's at. For some reason, Insomniac is totally meh to me. I don't know why it gets all the love it does. 'Brain Stew' is one of the most boring songs ever. That's a hyperbole, sure, but I really dislike that song. Nimrod has 'Scattered', which is Green Day's best song in my opinion. Green Day's first album is horrendously overrated among their fans. Way too many people think it rules, when it's actually totally average.

Kerplunk is really good though, guys.
Quote by due 07
Kerplunk and Dookie are where it's at. For some reason, Insomniac is totally meh to me. I don't know why it gets all the love it does. 'Brain Stew' is one of the most boring songs ever. That's a hyperbole, sure, but I really dislike that song. Nimrod has 'Scattered', which is Green Day's best song in my opinion. Green Day's first album is horrendously overrated among their fans. Way too many people think it rules, when it's actually totally average.

Kerplunk is really good though, guys.

"Scattered" reminds me of "Photograph" by Nickelback. ¯\_(ツ_/¯ So it's kinda disgusting.

I have all their albums on CD too, minus 21CBD. I even have four stupid live albums. Man, I was a stupid kid. I ought to figure out the best way to sell them, along with all my other CDs.
Quote by due 07
lol cds

I actually have every album by them in some physical form. Weird.

Lol my CD collection had 500 pieces, I've basically sold the ones I don't want anymore, and if I can get the album on vinyl, I sell the CD and use the money to put towards the same vinyl.

Physical forms for life.
I had like 300 real cds and 1500 burned cds at one point. They've all been dispersed among ex-friends/ex-girlfriends cars and houses by this point though. It's kinda a shame.
I'm an asshole.
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
"Scattered" reminds me of "Photograph" by Nickelback. ¯\_(ツ_/¯ So it's kinda disgusting.
Oh no. Can't unhear.

I used to spend all of my pay checks from my first job at Second Spin buying used cds for buy 2 get 1 free. In retrospect I typically bought 2 bad cds and would get a good one randomly for free. It's weird how all the really good albums were always cheaper.
I'm an asshole.
How did you guys afford so many cds? I used to blow all my paychecks on cds and I only have like, 200.

EDIT: Answered, sorta...
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Page 1 of 3