I mean really? Growing up in the late 80's early 90's seems like such a dream when it comes to pop punk, ska, rockabilly rock n rollers with all their styles and sounds clashing together to create some of the greatest bands (in my opinion) fill my ears everyday as I grew up.

Now it's too tough to find decent local bands or popular touring bands that keep that Vandals DHC early No Doubt Honeymooners early Green Day sound alive. I am used to seeing kids starting these kinds of bands with this type of sound in my town (San Diego) but for the last five years or so it's dead. Overrun with hardcore drunkpunks and the metalcore scene. Ska does okay down here, but pop punk like Guttermouth or Osker, bands with fast and fun sound and courage to act dumb on stage and off and shout obscenities about mothers, where have you guys gone?

And Fall out Boy or Panic at the Disco or Good Charlotte or MCR, these bands aren't pop punk, they may have had the sound or look at one point or another but these are all pop bands plain and simple.
Quote by due 07
Pop punk still rules. I like a lot of pop punk nowadays more than 90s stuff. Check out these albums:

The Ergs! - Dorkrockcorkrod
The Copyrights - Mutiny Pop
House Boat - The Delaware Octopus
Delay - Plain Language
Latterman - No Matter Where We Go...!
Did you guys read the title? Ska Pop Punk, think Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Did you guys read the title? Ska Pop Punk, think Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake.

Did you read the OP?

But yeah, Due pretty much covered it. I'll throw in Dear Landlord - Dream Homes and Off With Their Heads - Hospital for good measure
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Pop punk is huge these days. Look harder. Banner Pilot, the Dopamines, Nighlights, Iron Chic (not super poppy but **** it, I'm including them), the list goes on and on. Oh and don't forget the Haverchucks, they rule.

Go to Death to False Hope's website and just start downloading everything in sight. you'll find something you like. Whatever you do, don't start listening to the Ergs or any of the other 37 bands Mikey Erg plays in. They all suck.

Quote by SuperBlob
Did you read the OP?

Nope
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by RiotRiotUpstart
Pop punk is huge these days. Look harder. Banner Pilot, the Dopamines, Nighlights, Iron Chic (not super poppy but **** it, I'm including them), the list goes on and on. Oh and don't forget the Haverchucks, they rule.

Go to Death to False Hope's website and just start downloading everything in sight. you'll find something you like. Whatever you do, don't start listening to the Ergs or any of the other 37 bands Mikey Erg plays in. They all suck.
Thanks for being one of the few people who don't fellate The Ergs!. High five brah.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by RiotRiotUpstart

Lolz
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by RiotRiotUpstart
Iron Chic (not super poppy but **** it, I'm including them)

You serious? It can't really get much poppier than that and not be radio rock. They're awesome regardless, but still.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by SuperBlob
Lolz

Mikey Erg ain't on the Dopamines recordings. They formed completely independent from him. Also the time I saw them he wasn't performing with them, as is the case in the vast majority of their shows, so I'm not counting them in the myriad Mike Erg bands.

@nash: I've always thought of Iron Chic more as your standard melodic punk band along the lines of Nothington or Leatherface. Maybe it's the depressing lyrics, I dunno. They've certainly got poppy elements to their songs but I definitely don't think they're a step away from radio rock.

Fair enough, all I'm saying is that they're catchy as hell and incredibly melodic (which we seem to agree on). "Steel Wall Method" gets stuck in my head for weeks at a time.

EDIT: This thread needs some Peabodys love.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by TheReverend724
House Boat!
Aww yea. Damn good.

I'm going to go ahead and say I would encourage listening to as much Mikey Erg and Erg bands as you possibly can. There is literally no limit. Just keep listening and listening, you'll be a happy man.
Quote by due 07
Aww yea. Damn good.

I'm going to go ahead and say I would encourage listening to as much Mikey Erg and Erg bands as you possibly can. There is literally no limit. Just keep listening and listening, you'll be a happy man.

...this may actually explain why Axe is so angry. All the time.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Hating on Mikey Erg and then going on to promote bands on Death To False Hope Records is so silly.
I'm an asshole.
Quote by RiotRiotUpstart
Mikey Erg ain't on the Dopamines recordings. They formed completely independent from him. Also the time I saw them he wasn't performing with them, as is the case in the vast majority of their shows, so I'm not counting them in the myriad Mike Erg bands.
Mikey Erg founded The Dopamines because Comcast OnDemand said so!

... to the topper most.

Why would you mention The Dopas without mentioning The Copyrights. Dopamines pretty much just copy their act, with the added bonus of Mikey Erg on tour.
Oh look a band founded by Mikey Erg and some dude from Less Than Jake. Now I see why all you kids love The Dopamines.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
I like the The Ergs and The Dopamines and I'm certain I'm better at listening to music than you.*

*All of you.
I'm an asshole.
I do.

Quote by axeslash
Oh look a band founded by Mikey Erg and some dude from Less Than Jake. Now I see why all you kids love The Dopamines.
lolz
Well thanks so far for the list of bands, I've actually never heard of any of them. I don't forum that much so yes I did post twice but who ****ing cares lol?

All I know is pop punk will never be for serious ****ers and that's the point. Songs about pooping and running around naked. Kid stuff. Fun stuff. There are already a million bands selling their music filled to the brim with anger, hate, and starving for attention, pop punk has always been an alternative for me to all that pain and misery so many punk and hardcore bands like to bring.

I love punk and have always tried to support local bands but damn it's been hard to find bands that understand there's more than one way to write songs and more than one way to represent the scene. I guess I'm just starving for a goofy band to come along and revive all the sad little kids running around listening to screamo and metalcore and give them something dumb fun and full of energy, like I remember the 90's scene being so full of. Enthusiasm.
I don't think you know what pop punk, punk, hardcore, screamo or metalcore is.
I'm an asshole.
For me it's been happy punk style. Let's start with Fenix TX, Fork Period, Green Day, Blink, I consider The Vandals, Guttermouth, Screeching Weasel, The Apers, The Queers, Dead Milkmen, even The Descendents with Songs like "Nothing With You." I'm pretty sure I know what pop punk is, been playing for ten years in pop punk bands.

What do you think pop punk is? If the answer is anything more than saying a bunch of dumb kids having fun and acting silly being romantics one minute and fart jokes the next then I guess I've had it wrong.
Quote by pxr
For me it's been happy punk style. Let's start with Fenix TX, Fork Period, Green Day, Blink, I consider The Vandals, Guttermouth, Screeching Weasel, The Apers, The Queers, Dead Milkmen, even The Descendents with Songs like "Nothing With You." I'm pretty sure I know what pop punk is, been playing for ten years in pop punk bands.

What do you think pop punk is? If the answer is anything more than saying a bunch of dumb kids having fun and acting silly being romantics one minute and fart jokes the next then I guess I've had it wrong.

You've had it wrong, and those bands are basically just the biggest bands in the genre. Musical genres are not strictly related to lyrical content which is everything you described. I could write a death metal song that was "a bunch of dumb kids having fun and acting silly being romantics one minute and fart jokes the next".
I'm an asshole.
Quote by pxr

Even the Descendents? Descendents are one of the best examples you could have given.

You've named a lot of bands that are famous for pop-punk, but quite simply, it is more about the style than lyrical content.
That picture is terrifying. Not as bad as like big huge close-ups of spiders and stuff, though.