So, I've been looking at either an Ibanez RG350 or RG370 for a new guitar. I haven't bought one yet, but I will definitely be getting either one soon.
I've looked at reviews and comments on the UG boards and I've noticed that everyone says the pickups aren't so great and the guitar fares better with DiMarzio's or Seymour Duncans.
In any case, I was just wondering whether the pickup change would be worth it given the gear I already have:

Guitar: Ibanez RG350/370
Amp: Ibanez TBX15R
Effects Pedal: Boss ME-70

I like to play metal and rock, but not much of the darker metals, so I'm not really worried about the heaviest of sounds.
I go from wanting heavy sounds like Breaking Benjamin, to intermediate sounds like Avenged Sevenfold, and to overdrive-reverb sounds like Steve Vai.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Nathan.
I'd get a new amp before I swap any pickups.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
an idea! if you buy it, and you dont like the sound, then yeah go get new pickups.

im sick of people bein all "oh i have to change my pickups because these are stock pickups."
if you dont have a problem with them dont change them
I never liked the sound of any stock ibby pups I've heard, though that might not be the case for you. First get a new amp though.
They're alright, I've got an RG350 myself, although they've got EMG 81/85s in it now, the stock pick ups were quite noisy. I'd try it on a decent amp and see how you feel they sound, if they sound okay for what you're playing stick with em, but if you really don't like em swap em out for what ya want.
Ibanez have some of the worst stock pups around IMO.. you're gonna want to get them changed.

However, first get your amp and see what it is about your amp's tone that you do not like then ONLY go change your pups.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Well, thanks for the advice.
Right now, I'm using that setup except with a Yamaha Pacifica, and I like the sound pretty much.
If I don't want to change my amp (because I quite like it really), then I should just keep the same pups on the RG?

So, how would a change in pickups change my sound? Are the effects drastic or only minor?
Quote by Riku.dtd
Well, thanks for the advice.
Right now, I'm using that setup except with a Yamaha Pacifica, and I like the sound pretty much.
If I don't want to change my amp (because I quite like it really), then I should just keep the same pups on the RG?

So, how would a change in pickups change my sound? Are the effects drastic or only minor?

With that amp nothing at all will change.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
wow. Yes, you will notice a difference in pickups through your amp. Just depends what kind of jump you are making in quality. Ive heard really good Breaking Benjamin and a7x tones out of SD Blackouts which are active, in case you didnt know. Idk how they woould handle Vai though
The changes in tone due to a pickup change is nothing like day and night. Its quite subtle and in the details of your tone.

Think of your tone like a cake. For example once you get a chocolate cake (the cake being the amp in this case), you have the taste of chocolate tone.

A pickup change is like whether your cake is a chocolate sponge cake or chocolate buttermilk cake or. Whether the cake is fluffy or is it more solid. Whether you have chocolate cream or vanilla cream. Like whether you have candied cherries between your cake layers, or whiskey cherries.

At the end of the day, the amp will give you the chocolate taste, but a pickup change will change the details and nuances of your chocolate cake. The pickup change won't change your chocolate cake into a vanilla cake. What it does is to add the finer details and taste to your tone that will differentiate your chocolate cake from the cake on the next table.

Geddit?

So change your amp first so you can determine the taste of your cake... before you decide the details of the cake.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Yeah your amp is really that bad, I played through one of those once and it sounded like fluffy kittens dying (the only redeeming factor was my epic playing, which had nothing to do with the amp). You just think it sounds good/ok because you're used to it and haven't heard anything better.